Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak woes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Ha, ha. No it's a Go Pro duck taped to a bracket I made out of wood that was in turn duck taped under there. It was very McGyver.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Well still leaking after replacing that seal.
Did you replace the O-ring #9 as well.

thnx jersey
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

hepmeheme wrote:
It's not the oil strainer. It's towards the back. That's where it's coming from. There might be more leaks but this is definitely a major one of them.

Yeah, very bad leak at the inspection/taco plate for starters.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431854&highlight=taco+plate

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467034&highlight=taco+plate
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll try the o-rings. Anybody know where to get one of the red ones for the inspection plate? German Supply is out.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Step 1 is a can of this and a trip to the local DIY car wash (bring a bag to put over the distributor):
Then when it's clean locate the source of the oil, most likely places are the oil pressure sender, dipstick boot or the fan hub seal.

Did you clean it?

Wildthings wrote:
A dipstick leak is a sure sign of over pressurization of the crankcase, check that your breather is routed correctly and that every part of the system is functioning/open. If you don't have the original carbs anymore, or even not just the original air cleaner then there is a good chance you breather is not hooked up correctly.

The oil pressure switch is one of the likeliest places for a straight out leak to occur. Oil will show up everywhere when the OPS leaks.

Did you check you breather hose?

hazetguy wrote:
check the condition of the dipstick boot between the housing and the filler pipe.

How is the dipstick boot?

Did you replace the #9 oring behind the fan hub?

I don't think your Taco plate is the issue. The Taco plate is in the sump and would leak all the time at a steady rate. in the vid, it looks like there are drops from above.

Because the leak seams to be related to when you throttle it. I am thinking it is oil pressure. Or gravity related ie the oil in the sump rushes to the rear of the engine when you get on it.

Lets look at what is above the Taco plate.
The oil fill pipe & gasket with dipstick boot. See hazetguy's post
Large gallery plug
Oil pump
Fan hub Seal and O-ring
Small gallery plug

thnx jersey

hepmeheme wrote:
Thank you. I'll try the o-rings. Anybody know where to get one of the red ones for the inspection plate? German Supply is out.

What o-rings?
Taco plate seal and crush washers.
Seal for Oil Temp Sensor Cover 021101269A
https://www.google.com/search?q=021+101+269+A&...p;ie=UTF-8
6mm crush washers N0138035
https://www.google.com/search?q=N-013-803-5&oq...q=N0138035

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

This is a perfect picture of the oil leaking from above the Taco plate.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

hepmeheme wrote:
The fan hub seal was definitely leaving. Has rot see if there are more. What dye do you use for the oil?

https://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Products-TP34000601-...ignin&

That is the stuff I used. I just bought one bottle of it and a UV flashlight separately as it was cheaper back when I did it. They might have something like it at your FLAPS.
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Wow. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. I have not tried any of the things mentioned here other than to rerplace the fan hub seal, not the o-ring. Time to roll my sleeves up. If only they had used a burrito plate I would not be having these problems.
carltoncleans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Good luck. Imhad my motor out on the floor running no leaks. After install the oil cooler seals starting leaking. Out the motor came. I feel your pain. With tracking oil leaks. Its best to go slow and the source will be found.
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Finally had time to dig into this. Took the tin off and started degrading everything underneath. The dipstick boot looked very oily so could possibly be the cause. Once I get it all clean and dry I'm going to let the engine run and peek under there.

I also found this disconnected hose covered in oil. I can't tell where it's supposed to connect to. Can anyone tell me?

Thank you.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Is your bus still carburetted?

That is the original type 4 carb fuel pump that hose is attached to. It is not supposed to be attached to anything. It is a vent hose for the pump for leakage from the diaphragm. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Yeah I still have a carb. PO converted to Weber Progressive but good to know this is as designed. Thank you.
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

If you were curious how this turned out, I'm going to go ahead and get the engine rebuilt. It's been on my radar for a while and the leaks seems to be coming from a lot of places. There a bunch of rods sticking out of the side of the engine and those seals seem to be leaking. There may be more that I can't see.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

hepmeheme wrote:
If you were curious how this turned out, I'm going to go ahead and get the engine rebuilt. It's been on my radar for a while and the leaks seems to be coming from a lot of places. There a bunch of rods sticking out of the side of the engine and those seals seem to be leaking. There may be more that I can't see.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Shocked ...uh...which rods are sticking out of the case?.....Sounds like more than a rebuild! Laughing Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

I'm probably calling it the wrong thing. They are more like tubes. Push rod tubes? The entire tube was coated in oil before I cleaned it. And the place where it goes into the case looks like it has leaked. It's hard to tell and hard to get all the way clean. But it is the drivers side and the dipstick tube is on the other side so I don't think a dip stick tube leak would spatter all the way over there. I didn't see it leaking further after letting it idle for 10 minutes.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

hepmeheme wrote:
I'm probably calling it the wrong thing. They are more like tubes. Push rod tubes? The entire tube was coated in oil before I cleaned it. And the place where it goes into the case looks like it has leaked. It's hard to tell and hard to get all the way clean. But it is the drivers side and the dipstick tube is on the other side so I don't think a dip stick tube leak would spatter all the way over there. I didn't see it leaking further after letting it idle for 10 minutes.

It is about a 2 hour job to replace the pushrod tube seals with the engine in place. This is not a technical job and few tools are required.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4681873&highlight=pushrod+tube%2A#4681873
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: