Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vintage1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

Thanks for the add. I have a 66 bug with a 72 DP 1776. The battery cables are throwing me off. It has positive red cable & terminal clamp from the body ground to battery & black wire from positive to starter. Is this a positive grounded bug? I have it hooked up now negative to ground & positive to starter. It runs & lights, horn work but my generator light is on. Would the bug still start & work if the battery was hooked up backwards? It's been sitting for 2 years, I didn't get to take the old battery out. Old owner doesn't know about it
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

ignore the color of the wires.. no its not a positive ground bug.. someone bought cheap cables..
Vintage1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
ignore the color of the wires.. no its not a positive ground bug.. someone bought cheap cables..

Thank you
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

Ok now I'm confused.

Was the negative wire from the battery connected to the starter and the positive cable from the battery connected to the body of the car? If so, it was setup positive ground. It's been done before.

vwjetboat - He has a gen light illuminated on the dash on indicating it's not charging.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

this has come up a lot in the forums, but when some one does reverse the polarity of the bug it usually fries the voltage regulator. so replace vr maybe polarize the generator and you are good to go (and yes the bug would still start & work if the battery was hooked up backwards)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

Vintage1966 wrote:
Thanks for the add. I have a 66 bug with a 72 DP 1776. The battery cables are throwing me off. It has positive red cable & terminal clamp from the body ground to battery & black wire from positive to starter. Is this a positive grounded bug? I have it hooked up now negative to ground & positive to starter. It runs & lights, horn work but my generator light is on. Would the bug still start & work if the battery was hooked up backwards? It's been sitting for 2 years, I didn't get to take the old battery out. Old owner doesn't know about it

Any color wire from positive battery terminal to starter is normal (negative ground).
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

What does the volt meter tell you when connected??

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Vintage1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
What does the volt meter tell you when connected??
i don't own a volt meter yet. The wires were colored & set up positive ground & negative starter. I thought they must have used what they had so I hooked it up negative body & positive to starter. It starts & runs but have gen light on. No generator it's 12v / alternator.
. I tried to search forum but couldn't find an answe, sorry for duplicate questions

Wasn't sure if it would be obvious if it was hooked up backwards without actually doing it & messing anything up.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

for future reference, ground cables are brown on a vw, black are ignition-switched positive
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Appears to be wired for positive ground Reply with quote

Positive ground? WTF -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: