Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nexus6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

When filling the gas tank the gas station pump will shut off every half gallon or so because of fuel backing up in the path from gas cap to tank.

It takes forever to fill up!

As anyone had this problem before and if so how can it be fixed?

Thanks.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having same problem with my '95 EVC. Just started a week ago. Right now, I have to pump gas at a very slow rate. I've been researching the web to get more information. This is a problem that effects all kinds of makes/models. Early suggestions are to check various fuel & venting lines to ensure they are clear of bugs, nests, debris, etc. Found a YouTube video where author shows same problem (but with different make/model) & how clogged up his lines were. After cleaning, he could pump gas normally again. Charcoal cannister may also be part or all of the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

My 1992 has this problem and now my 2001 GLS is doing the same thing. During fuel filling after half a tank I am only able to put in half a liter of fuel before the pump stops.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

There is some restriction in the fuel tank ventilation system. A quick blast with an air line in the fuel filler vent may clear it.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: 2001 fuel tank won't fill, not venting? Reply with quote

Our 2001 just started doing this while on road trip in Utah. We live in the NW near sea level and are now climbing hills around 8000 feet in 90 degrees.

Last time I filled up it stopped by half tank and then I could barely get any more gas in. I could hear it trickling or gurgling. I also smell vapors outside now as well.

I have my vagcom and will scan it later although there are no dash lights on.

Did anyone figure out why a fuel tank would stop venting?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Sorry for not updating.
My 2001 GLS fixed itself after 2 more fills but the 1992 is still really bad.

The strange thing is that if I spend 10 minutes and fill the 1992 it has a real hard time idling after from start for around 5 minutes. I am guessing it must be related to the tank venting but haven't looked further.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 fuel tank won't fill, not venting? Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
Our 2001 just started doing this while on road trip in Utah. We live in the NW near sea level and are now climbing hills around 8000 feet in 90 degrees.

Last time I filled up it stopped by half tank and then I could barely get any more gas in. I could hear it trickling or gurgling. I also smell vapors outside now as well.

I have my vagcom and will scan it later although there are no dash lights on.

Did anyone figure out why a fuel tank would stop venting?

After scanning I have the code 16825 - EVAP E missions Control Sys P0441 35-10 - incorrect Flow - intermittent
cc-91tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Good morning, just read the post.
No real gas pressure.
Possibilities,
filter, fuelpump does not seat correctly,
lines clogged.
Just had a eurovan with a habitual problem.
And when refueling, bleed pipe closed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cc-91tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 2001 vr6 24v. Reply with quote

I am following up to my earlier post about my 2001 eurovan not venting while trying to fill the fuel tank making it very difficult to fill the tank, and a strong gas vapor smell outside the vehicle while driving. This started after passing through Oregon where they require their own employees fill your tank (STUPID LAW). Regardless of asking the employee to stop; he proceeded to top off my tank multiple times. The problem occurred the next time I tried to fill up. I'm assuming he flooded my evaporative emissions charcoal canister.

I pulled the N80 purge valve (located right behind the throttle body); raw gas poured from the valve. I attempted to clear any carbon deposits from the intake side of the valve (a tiny bit came out). I then used my vagcom to test the operation and blew through it while it was cycling (the valve solenoid was fairly faint), almost no air would pass through when it was in its open state.

With the N80 out of the car, I removed my gas cap and blew backward into the hose that feeds the N80 (presumably from the emissions 'charcoal canister), there was quite a bit of restriction and it gurgled (I assume the canister may have been filled with gas).

Since I'm on a road trip, I called forward to a NAPA and ordered an N80. After replacing the valve, my I cautiously filled the tank to about 75%, without issue. I still smelled some gas for the next few hours of driving. Next time it cooled, I pulled the N80 valve again and gas cap and blew back into the feel hose; there was no gurgling this time. On my second gas fill, the re-fueling restriction issue seems to be resolved and we no longer smell gas.
MasterMarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

So was the issue the n80
Being clogged up? Is it possible to clean it? My 2002 just started doing this to me on a road trip from Everett to Lookout Pass on the Idaho and Montana border.

Thanks!
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

I had two issues, probably related to each other

My N80 purge valve was plugged or not functioning and my evaporative purge canister (charcoal canister) was filled with liquid gas; it should only have vapors in it but over filling the tank can cause liquid gas to get in it.

I tried to clear the N80 on the road trip, a little carbon came out but it was still very restricted.

Interestingly, I have all the receipts from the previous owner which included about 4 "purge valve cleanings". I'd guess cleaning was not effective.

My advise is to replace the purge valve, blow backward in the hose from the canister/fuel tank (with the gas cap removed). When I did this I could hear the purge canister gurgle, once the new valve was in it cleared up and I could blow in it without the gurgle. Mine took a day to clear up which I assume was the liquid gasoline clearing out from the charcoal canister.

After replacing the valve I was able to fill my tank although I left the key on to watch the fuel gauge and only filled to 3/4 for the first few tanks to ensure I was no where near over filling it. All has been fine since then.
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Does anyone know if they if the N80 or similar exist on a 1993? On a road trip and coincidently after few fillups in Oregon the van won't start/idle occasionally. This first happened immediately after getting filled up.
It just happens do the second time and Ann sitting in aha she station in Redmond trying to get it sorted out.

I'll be digging thru the Bentley manual trying to figure it out in case anyone replies anytime soon.

Thanks!

93 MV Weekender
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Jooknon wrote:
Does anyone know if they if the N80 or similar exist on a 1993? On a road trip and coincidently after few fillups in Oregon the van won't start/idle occasionally. This first happened immediately after getting filled up.
It just happens do the second time and Ann sitting in aha she station in Redmond trying to get it sorted out.

I'll be digging thru the Bentley manual trying to figure it out in case anyone replies anytime soon.

Thanks!

Yes, there is a purge valve (N80) on the '93.

Looking through receipts from the previous owner of my EV who lived in Oregon, she had chronic N80 issues which I suspect are related to the STUPID Oregon state law requiring a gas station employee [over] fill your fuel tank.

Here's some tech info to help locate and test it:

Quote:
PURPOSE
The Evaporative Emissions Frequency valve allows the Engine Control Module (ECM) to control the flow of fuel vapors from the EVAP canister to the intake manifold.

Mounted at the rear of the air filter housing.

OPERATION
The flow of fuel vapor is determined by the ECM, depending on engine load, speed, and temperature. The valve is completely open at full throttle and completely closed during deceleration. The ECM controls the ground circuit. Voltage (12 VDC) is supplied by the Digifant power supply relay.

When no current is supplied to the valve, it remains in the open position. The valve is closed (100% duty cycle) when the engine is started cold.

A spring operated check valve closes when the engine is off to prevent vapors from entering the intake manifold.

MALFUNCTIONS
If the EVAP valve circuit is interrupted, the valve remains full-open. This could lead to rough idle and hesitation.

The valve is monitored by the ECM for short and open circuits.

Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

I've looked all over the air filter housing but can't see anything connected to it. Could it be somewhere on the intake housing?

Googling n80 purge valve to see what I'm looking for.

93 MV Weekender
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Ahh I see it. Can I just blow thru back to the evap canister?

93 MV Weekender
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Jooknon wrote:

The Valve is probably normally closed (so that would be no). If you are blowing on the hose from the canister side, inlet to the N80 valve, then yes you can blow back to the canister.

I used vagcom to cycle my N80 purge valve and blew through it, when in the open state I could barely pass air through my old one so I replaced it.

Last edited by markcm2 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Ok. I removed the purge valve and blew thru the hose to the canister. Didn't hear any gurgling sounds at the gas fill nozzle. But after adding four gallons of gas and the hose blow she started up again.
Not sure if it was the sitting time or the blowing or what but thanks for the advice. I'll be calling all autoparts stores in the next few towns to see if they have a n80.

Thanks!!

93 MV Weekender
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
Jooknon wrote:

The Valve is probably normally closed (so that would be no). it you are blowing on the hose from the canister side (inlet to the N80 valve, then yes you can blow back to the canister.

I used vagcom to cycle my N80 purge valve and blew through it, when in the open state I could barely pass air through my old one so I replaced it.

Sounds like I need to get a vagcom to get that done. For now it's running and we're going to move on down the road.

93 MV Weekender
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fueling problem on Eurovan 1992 camper. Reply with quote

Jooknon wrote:
markcm2 wrote:
Jooknon wrote:

The Valve is probably normally closed (so that would be no). it you are blowing on the hose from the canister side (inlet to the N80 valve, then yes you can blow back to the canister.

Sounds like I need to get a vagcom to get that done. For now it's running and we're going to move on down the road.

Vagcom for the 1993 is VERY limited; not really worth it in my opinion. There is also an extra adapter needed and from what I recall you can't see much more than coolant temp and a few others. You wont be able to cycle the purge valve or many other features.

You could probably actuate the purge valve with 12v but I'd be careful. Maybe check the signal from the ECU with a meter first to ensure it's 12v.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: