Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny wiring problems 78 bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Hear me laughing? Mad

It seems that there are some wiring gremlins living in my bus.
Here's a run down of the issues so far

With light switch on and engine running the headlights don't come on, but front marker lights and taillights come on. When I press the horn button the headlights come on (but horn doesn't).
The right turn signal activates the turn signal light on the dash, but no lights on the outside of the vehicle. Left turn signal activates the horn (at least they'll hear me turning). Hazard lights don't work. All the dash warning lights seem to work except the oil light.

Under the dash I noticed that the hazard switch was in 2 pieces. I replaced it with a switch that is intact, but untested. The new old switch made no difference.

I've been staring at the wiring diagram and I can't see how the horn, headlights, and turn signal could cross paths unless someone has wired things incorrectly in the steering column or something. Any ideas before I rip apart the steering column and/or dash?

I'm going back to work on the bus today. I'll start by continuing to clean up all the grounds I can find.

Last edited by rusty busty on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Shocked Grounds Exclamation Exclamation yes- once worked on Lauren's SAAB Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad when the right window was rolled up- it stopped half way and the wipers took a pass.- was the master ground by the radiator mount.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Oh I almost forgot. With the key turned forward the windshield wipers are on full time. Might not be an issue in the PNW but I'd like to travel to other places too.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked Grounds Exclamation Exclamation yes- once worked on Lauren's SAAB Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad when the right window was rolled up- it stopped half way and the wipers took a pass.- was the master ground by the radiator mount.

Yup I was thinking grounds too. But there's also evidence that someone was into the steering column in the past.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Oh I almost forgot. With the key turned forward the windshield wipers are on full time. Might not be an issue in the PNW but I'd like to travel to other places too.

Pull fuse #10 for the windshield wipers and see if your problems goes away.
If they do the problem is in the wiper circuit.

Good luck
Tcash
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Problem solved! The trouble was indeed the master ground by the radiator mount.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:

Laughing

Funny guy over here Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Those damn radiators are trouble indeed Wink

So did you fix it?, or does it persist?, has it always done it?, or is this new?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
rusty busty wrote:

Laughing

Laughing that was awesome.

Did you actually solve the problem? Idk if you saw on my thread over here but I just went through the steering column and under dash wiring last summer. Learning to read the Bentley's wiring diagrams along with seeing it in real life and tracing things to where they are supposed to go...it makes you feel like the world's greatest detective.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Those damn radiators are trouble indeed Wink

So did you fix it?, or does it persist?, has it always done it?, or is this new?

Yes all electrical problems are now solved. I cleaned and put diabetic grease on all grounds, all light bulbs and light bulb sockets. The turn signals were fixed with a new relay.
It's a new problem for me but it may be a very old problem. This is the first time that the bus has run since the early 90's.

secretsubmariner wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
rusty busty wrote:

Laughing

Laughing that was awesome.

Did you actually solve the problem? Idk if you saw on my thread over here but I just went through the steering column and under dash wiring last summer. Learning to read the Bentley's wiring diagrams along with seeing it in real life and tracing things to where they are supposed to go...it makes you feel like the world's greatest detective.

The bently diagrams aren't that bad, but then I didn't really need them it seems. Luckily I didn't have to change any wiring. Just take things apart, clean, then reconnect. Easy peasy Wink
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Well I shouldn't say all electrical problems are solved. Still no oil light, the fuel gauge isn't working even though there's a new sender, and the brake light is on, although the whole brake system has been gone through with mostly new parts. The fun times continue.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Gotta ask what was the deal with the windshield wipers?
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

I'm not exactly sure. I removed fuse 10 as you suggested. That stopped the wipers. I then proceeded to clean all the grounds. I also moved the plastic cover on the steering column aside and then disconnected and reconnected the wiring harnesses a couple of times. After I was done everything I put the fuse back in and everything works as it should. I now have 2 wiper speeds and the option to turn them off if I so desire.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Tcash wrote:

I'm not exactly sure. I removed fuse 10 as you suggested. That stopped the wipers. I then proceeded to clean all the grounds. I also moved the plastic cover on the steering column aside and then disconnected and reconnected the wiring harnesses a couple of times. After I was done everything I put the fuse back in and everything works as it should. I now have 2 wiper speeds and the option to turn them off if I so desire.

The switch only would only turn one click? Or would turn two clicks before?
Tcash
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

The switch would go into all 4 positions, high, low, off, and wash but no matter the position the switch was in the wipers were on high speed. Gremlins in the steering column is the only logical explanation.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Well I though I was so smrt when I fixed all my troubles with emery cloth and diabolic grease but it seems obvious now that I'm missing something.

So the other day my wipers decided to work full time again. I'm on a road trip so didn't want to dig into it too much. I just pulled fuse 10 and figured if it rains then I'd just put the fuse back in and have wipers again. Well I've run into some weather in the past while so I went to put the fuse in and found that when it's wet out the wiper fuse just blows right away. After things dried out I tried again and we're back to full time wipers.

So when it's raining I have no wipers. When it's dry I have wipers that won't stop. Great. Sounds about right.

Also, today I crossed the border back into Canada and they searched the bus pretty hard. I think they messed up my electrics even more because now none of the interior lights work and neither does the ambulance fan. That stuff was all working 100% before the trained border monkeys and their dog tossed my bus. Grrr!

It was dark by the time I found out I don't have any lights of course so I'll have to look into that tomorrow. Fun times.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

As the thread goes on I can't tell if this is the OP's problem. However, once or twice along the way I've had problem once or twice when I had the steering column wires undone. It is pretty easy to plug them back in a spot over on late Bays, so then they will do all sorts of crazy things.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Oh gawd.

First thing is to rid yourself of all the diabolic diabetic grease. Laughing

You might decide to stop driving your bus and take ONE circuit at a time and map it. Ideal wire labels are sold at most decent hardware stores and big box places like Home Depot:

https://www.eslsupply.com/ideal-industries-44-104-...gJwWvD_BwE

Start by removing the steering wheel, then the instrument cluster. Set up a work light and get comfy in the driver's seat.

Do you know how to make a continuity tester?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuLqtGKAVu0

Disconnect your battery from the bus.

Start at Fuse 1 and clip one wire on the tester to the hot leg of the fuse holder. Take the other end of test wire and start touching all the things the Fuse 1 is supposed to provide current to. Every time the bell rings, make notes and label the wires right where they terminate. Check this against your wiring diagram.

Now make sure that circuit isn't providing current paths to anything else by touching the test lead to other things. Make notes, fix problems... one circuit at a time.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

The windscreen wipers go strange if their earth wire is missing under the dash. There a should not be any water going in there.. Windshield seal has probably given up and letting water onto electrics and filling up relays..

My strangest one was when I set fire to my bus and in the aftermath some melted wiring in the engine bay shorted and it sounded like the horn went off in a half hearted way.
It was Ok I was driving it 2 days later..Fuel cutoff solenoid valve under tank worked.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
As the thread goes on I can't tell if this is the OP's problem. However, once or twice along the way I've had problem once or twice when I had the steering column wires undone. It is pretty easy to plug them back in a spot over on late Bays, so then they will do all sorts of crazy things.

I'm pretty sure this is what the initial problem was. The PO had the steering column apart and put the wiring harness back together wrong. That's why horn = lights, turn signal = horn, etc. That stuff was solved when I unplugged the harness and inadvertently plugged it back in correctly.

I've put over 5000 km on my bus in the past week and except for the wipers everything worked correctly until the goon squad went through my bus yesterday. Now I'm living in the dark.

I'm now 5000 km from home and living in my bus for the next month or so. Not driving it isn't an option at the moment. In the next few days I should be able to take a day or 2 for maintenance and repairs. There's also a few non electrical issues I need to deal with.
I have a full set of tools including a multi meter with me. The main thing I've been lacking is time. I have a wedding to go to today which is why I've had to drive across the country in a bus that wasn't quite ready.

I do HVAC for a living so I'm not totally unfamiliar with low voltage control wiring. Automotive wiring makes my eyes glaze over sometimes. Maybe because I don't have all the circuits and colour codes memorized like I do with the HVAC stuff. One circuit at a time..

Yes the windshield seal badly needs to be replaced. That will happen this fall or winter for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: