Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Breather
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

germanbilly wrote:
Just a thought on JB Weld. We used it in the shop to repair cracks on the block were the oil pressure switch is installed. Cleaned it Very well and never had any leaks or problems. This was on Race engines that got very hot. Have also seen it used on cracks in blocks and outdrive fins that hit the bottom and rocks and never broke. The stuff is strong. The prep of the surface is a must. I keep several tubes on hand at all times, don't use the fast cure stuff.
GB.

I have had good luck with it too. And not the JB QUICK as you said. Looked at their gasket maker and sealers today for something else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Fixed? Reply with quote

I installed the breather. Changed the oil also to straight 30w.
Drove it toady and no oil was blowing out of the dipstick at all. Wow. It actually worked,,but...
I am getting some oil leaking out of the breather box. Not a ton but a few quarter sized spots.

I did screw up a bit Confused by drilling the valve cover on the back side instead of the front...could that cause the problem? I can't believe I did that, I had planned to drill the front...
the fitting on th evalve cover is not leaking which is good.
I ran one hose to the breather and capped off the other entry points as there are 4 total.

A lot closer to where I want it to be, no oil spraying on the exhaust is terrrific.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

cruising the search here I found an answer. Adding a drain hose to drain into the sump. Hope that does it.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

so this worked. I added a hose from the breather to the oil fill tube. No leakage at all now, and the Thing seems to even run better...

It is great to have a dry engine compartment and no oil on the exhaust.. Very slight leak from the valve cover but that's because I did not replace the gasket..yet

SO glad this worked and thanks for all the advice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: