Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1700cc Type 4 camshaft and lifters questions...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering if only a small amount larger gear is needed....if the new aluminum gears could be hard anodized for slightly better fit. Or....if the reverse is needed...a bit more slack....if the gear could not just be lapped against a scrap steel gear with valve lapping compound to get a little more tolerance. Any experience anyone? Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I have been wondering if only a small amount larger gear is needed....if the new aluminum gears could be hard anodized for slightly better fit. Or....if the reverse is needed...a bit more slack....if the gear could not just be lapped against a scrap steel gear with valve lapping compound to get a little more tolerance. Any experience anyone? Ray

get the right gear. They aren't that hard to find. I was able to collect a full set of good C gears.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

get the right gear. They aren't that hard to find. I was able to collect a full set of good C gears.

I'm not hurting for a gear...but someday (future-esque) I might be or someone else might be. Just wondering about the possibilities.

There is a real shortage of VW's in yards in this part of the country. I may have to make a weekend excursion into the real rustbelt at some point.

But I agree....a "collection" of gear sizes would be the type of "be prepared" thing I normally do. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700cc Type 4 camshaft and lifters questions... Reply with quote

Old thread, I know but I like the idea of the cam gear exchange especially now because my present build has a scat gear (0 I assume) and a whopping .014" of play.

I am thinking I need to get a gear that is a positive number, maybe a 3 or 4.

Does anyone have a used + aluminum type 4 gear to sell?
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: