Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fram Tractor Vintage Filter
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Good day, I got this Fram Tractor Vintage Filter that I intend to install on my Karmann Ghia. Is it okay to install it or it i too big for its application. It is only the volume of oil that it can hold that is different; however, everything is just the same. It can even be used as an additional oil capacity for the engine. Something like a dry sump type used by Porsche.

This is the picture

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/oxnn4zesm5n8qx.jpg

Thanks in advance,

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

The only downside I can think of is more oil = more time to heat up oil.

Cheers,

Paul
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
The only downside I can think of is more oil = more time to heat up oil.

Cheers,

Paul

Yeah I can see that. But what is your consideration of the possibility of loss oil pressure?
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

I have the shorter version of this filter, the one used by Denzel. If I can ever finish my engine, I'll definitely collect oil pressure data. My fear is that at some RPM level, some part of the filter system will a choke point, and oil pressure will take a dive.

Cheers,

Paul
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Yes me too. I have the shorter version too. Installed on my '67 splitty bus, '65 vintage speed theme and '72 baywindow camper. But this one the longer version i got the other day, I would like to install it on my Karmann Ghia. My motive is that, aside from its filtering capability, I also intend it to be as a dry sump type that houses about 2 liters of oil, which adds to the 2 1/2 oil capacity of the stock engine. The oil sump if installed underneath my Karmann's engine is so scary. Ii may hit some bumps. I don't want to damage the engine.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Hi. The filter set-up you are looking at should be a by-pass filter. Its theory is that it takes a very small volume of oil thru a filter and return the oil to the sump. Nowadays by-pass filters are available to filter smaller debris than the normal filter.
The Baldwin by-pass filter on my Bay bus has a return orifice that looks to be approx. 1mm, which is .040", in dia. That's pretty small and will not affect oil pressure in a normal engine. Remember these by-pass set-ups have been around for decades. You can research current by-pass filtering at www.bobistheoilguy.com where they have a dedicated section for this.
The original 356/912 filter housings held about 1/2 to 3/4 qt, as I recall. With the larger housing I'd be more concerned with having a strong mounting vs any additional oil taking longer to warm up.
Just make sure the return orifice is small enough so as not to rob the engine of needed oil volume.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

As far as I can see, the oil bypasses the filter, and goes back into the engine. It should not be any amount of oil in the filter, except for the oil passing through.
So the size of the filter should not affect the amount of oil the engine need.
A little amount of oil will be in the filter and pressure side hose, but if you check the oil regularly, and keep it in the upper half on the stick, I see no problem.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: