Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mapleguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

Have engine problems on a cross country trip and need to get service as soon as possible in or near Jackson, Wyoming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: need service in Jackson Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

I would call forum member and good guy "JackBombay," he lives near there and would know who to refer.

I believe his number is in his post signature.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: need service in Jackson Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_search_map.php?state_id=50

A little old but might be helpful. All the way across the state ! bah...
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40

Last edited by levi on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: need service in Jackson Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_search_map.php?state_id=12

Idaho falls, lot closer, but with a "not recommended" attached ?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: need service in Jackson Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

This is old information, but maybe worth a phone call:

Valley Car Service 1585 W. Berger Lane Jackson, WY (307) 732-1300

Rabbit Row 4280 Leeper Lane Wilson WY (307) 733-4331
LxMxMxP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: need service in Jackson Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm not yet a Vanagon owner, but had emergency repairs done this summer on my SUV at Autotech, 1405 Gregory Ln. 307-733-9198. There was a guy there at the same time with a Westy who was getting a shot transmission replaced. I can't say I vouch for the shop, but they were the only folks in town without a wait list and they got me back on the road same day. So there's that for what it's worth.
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: need service in Jackson Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

Our Subaru powered Westy crapped out there last year and I think...... we had it diagnosed right quick at this place.
http://a1autojh.com/index2.html

Near parts stores and the most overpriced Motelsucks in the universe.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: need service in Jackson Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

Jeremy Best in Victor Idaho (google will bring up his phone number) has worked on a lot of Vanagons over the years, done subbie swaps, etc... He doesn't get many air cooled vans but has certainly worked on more than a few.

Where is the van now? As it is not running well, Teton pass (between Jackson/Wilson Wyoming and Victor Idaho) should be avoided, it is a BRUTAL pass, not that high elevation wise, but it is *steep*.

I'm not really familiar with any of the shops in Jackson, I try to avoid that side of the hill whenever possible Laughing

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
mapleguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips! Found a shop in Jackson and it's running (sort of) but have decided to transport back to upstate NY. Any thought on good transport service?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

Supreme Auto Transport near Denver was run by racing friends of mine, but not sure if this is up their alley.

Ask for Doug (owner still?) and tell him Eric from IMI Team Biland sent you.

— Colin Chapman
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

mapleguy wrote:
Thanks for all the tips! Found a shop in Jackson and it's running (sort of) but have decided to transport back to upstate NY. Any thought on good transport service?

What was the diagnosis?

Won't the cost of transporting to NY exceed the repair cost?

Samba ad here.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

mapleguy wrote:

Good luck, fellow upstater...Albany area
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

I have used 4 Corners Transport Services on the recommendation of several users here. Jeff is a transport broker (360 210 7665) who shops transport companies. He provided me with a good price and did what he said he would.

Another option is to contact Jeremy (samba member bonecollector) of Skeeter's VW & Volkswear in Idaho Falls ID (208)200-6053. He is a super guy, who may be able to help you with regional transport, repair, storage, etc...

Good luck! Sorry your trip is taking an unexpected turn.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
mapleguy wrote:

What was the diagnosis?

Won't the cost of transporting to NY exceed the repair cost?
My wonder as well. If me, I'd empty the van into a small storage locker and leave the van with your recommended guy... Then shag it as an excuse for a better trip later.

Meaning, to the OP, what exactly is the trouble with the van? And Buddy, I get how stress can make us all wonder just what to do! (full-timer for nearly 1,500 days now, and problems like this ain't easy!)

— Colin Chapman
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need service in Jackson, Wyoming - recommendations? Reply with quote

Shipping from Jackson to New York will run ~$2000 based on the little bit of vehicle shipping that I have dealt with, a lot of repair work can be done for that much dough, something to consider for sure.

Samba ad here.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: