Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MK1 dash in a Vanagon
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTbeaufort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: MK1 dash in a Vanagon Reply with quote

I've registered with VW Vortex, still no conformation.
In short, saw a VW dash pod with an 85 mph speedo and a tach, liked it, and decided to try and fit it to my 85 Vanagon. I've identified almost all of the wires in the 14 pin connector with three notable exceptions. First, red/black is tach, and so is yellow/red. Not sure if the tach gets a seperate power feed from yellow/red, but I get a jump in the tach needle when I touch positive on both. Second, white/blue should be illumination, dimmable, but get no reaction when I put power to it. I have the feeling that the power comes from the headlight switch and that white/blue just dimms thru the dimmer under the switch. Third, I dont have a temp wire. None. Identified all wires no recaction on temp. Have an empty slot on the plug that has a contact on the blue foil, maybe a wire got yanked out when it was pulled at the salvage yard. Last, there is a seperate plug on the back of the speedo, which I do not have a male connection for, and have not been able to determine what functions it might have. I think it is illumination, both static and dimmable, not sure.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 dash in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Page 1: http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/InstrumentClusterDiagrams.pdf
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JTbeaufort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 dash in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 dash in a Vanagon Reply with quote

the speedo rotations isn't the same between a watercooled rabbit/jetta/golf/cabriolet and a 2wd vanagon. your MK-I speedo will register 1/2 your actual speed.

the 2wd vanagon speedo has an ~802 number on it, means rotations/mile
and the speedo cable is driven by the wheel

the MK-I would have a number closer to 1400~1600 iirc.
and the speedo cable is driven by a gear within the transmission..

you can get an 85mph vanagon speedo stock.. it's what I run in mine.
came from the air cooled or diesel vans but there are 2 different speedo cable input mounts.. one threads on one snaps on.. you'll need from an 82-83 that snaps on.

Gnarlie's Diesel dash.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[img]
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: