Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

I have not come across any photos of the L471 Stone Beige painted interior, which was stock for the Deluxe 60 model. All the paint chip catalogue pages that I've seen posted have no Stone Beige paint chip to compare with the other colors.

Does anyone have photos of how a stock Deluxe 60 looks? From what I understand, the Steering wheel, Turn signal lever, Steering column, E brake and seat frames should all be L471 Stone Beige. (I've only seen them in some sort of Ivory or Beige, if they are not painted black.)

A few have mentioned that the WW rattle can of Stone Beige is lighters than what is expected. I'm really trying to identify how L471 Stone Beige is different, so I can better try to match it.

Please advise, or post samples if possible.

Thanks.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

Does this help ,it's a unrestored 61 Beryl Green Beetle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

in my case I found the WW paint to be a god match. I'll try and post pics later
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

Since I saw this question, I thought I'd throw this out.

I had a rattle can of the Woldsburg West Stone Beige... and a while back someone asked me about the color, I have some old paint chip sheets but they don't include that color. so I sprayed some from the WW can onto a piece of cardboard and made my own "chip" and set it next to my old paint chip sheets for comparison and took a photo:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Meranda,
Your interior looks beautiful.
Looking at the T1 paint chip sheet on the Samba, it looks like your 61 Beryl Green either had L466 Silver Beige (Up to Jul 61), or Nepal Green (if after Aug 61). I'm guessing you are pre- Aug; either way, different color than 60.

Glutamodo,
Thank you for the custom chip! Lol.
That helps. The main thing is I have a ballpark of what it is. And from multiple users, (60ragtop) the WW rattle can seems to be good.

Cool
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

original vs WW stone beige steering wheel
original paint wheel on top
ww paint underneath

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

Check my pictures of the restoration of my 61. It had the original L87 with the stone beige steering wheel.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

stone beige steering column, e brake handle and shifter

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
Check my pictures of the restoration of my 61. It had the original L87 with the stone beige steering wheel.

How did you get a Stone Beige steering wheel in 1961? For interior colors, it was retired after model year 1960. Of the 4 colors that VW used for Deluxe steering wheels in 1961, Stone Beige was not one of them. (L87 Body had a L468 Sand Stone steering wheel)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

thanks 60Ragtop for the side by side steering wheel comparison!

So the top steering wheel (with black wrapping) is the original? It seems lighter than the WW wheel below it. In fact, the bottom WW painted wheel looks to have a greenish hue. That was exactly opposite of what I was expecting, since people were saying the WW version seemed lighter.

(I feel like I'm really gonna drive someone bonkers on this...lol)
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No paint chip/ catalogue pages of L471 Stone Beige? Reply with quote

yes the wrapped one is original.
just paint everything the same color and no one will be able to tell or just drive yourself bonkers Laughing

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: