Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help identifying dune buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: help identifying dune buggy Reply with quote

out side of a few tiny things like the turn lights or what ever they are used for under the main lights is added... few toggle switches but for a car that was built in the mid 70s id gather and parked since 96 it looks to be in the same overall condition I would expect a survivor that has not been molested to look..
Like it was built and driven for 20 years and parked .. most dune buggys i have seen you can tell are... home built.. wrong tail lights.. wrong placement of gas filler with just a simple cap sticking through.. rear cut up to make what ever changes..

To me this buggy looks like it was built at a buggy shop that built them brand new same place they made the body.. its over all to correct.. its just my opinion.. I am not an expert on vintage correct buggy's.. i just know what it looks like overall to me.. and would be real nice to see it restored just the way it is minus the few add ons
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: help identifying dune buggy Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
out side of a few tiny things like the turn lights or what ever they are used for under the main lights is added... few toggle switches but for a car that was built in the mid 70s id gather and parked since 96 it looks to be in the same overall condition I would expect a survivor that has not been molested to look..
Like it was built and driven for 20 years and parked .. most dune buggys i have seen you can tell are... home built.. wrong tail lights.. wrong placement of gas filler with just a simple cap sticking through.. rear cut up to make what ever changes..

To me this buggy looks like it was built at a buggy shop that built them brand new same place they made the body.. its over all to correct.. its just my opinion.. I am not an expert on vintage correct buggy's.. i just know what it looks like overall to me.. and would be real nice to see it restored just the way it is minus the few add ons

It would be nice restored.
Still don't understand what "Wrong" means .
Post a pic of a correct buggy. I'll bet it's ol red.

Again that shifter is not period so one of the tings you see as correct just isn't.
I'd bet the farm it was not built by the body manufacturer.

I'll line up 10 homebuilts that would look factory to you.
Just can't make that call.

AMAC
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: help identifying dune buggy Reply with quote

Bottom line is to sort out what you want to do with is and them move forward. First thing is to fully assess what you have. You need to go through the mechanicals and move on from there.

What is "right or wrong" really is a personal choice. Our clone is pretty much how the original builder did it with exception of the engine, tranny, wheels, lighting, wiring, fuel tank and dash....Ok maybe I guess I did make a few changes LOL. But I left the faded/cracked body alone. And our car is VERY different from the last buggy I built for a customer - he had certain features that he wanted. Come up with a plan and rebuild the car to what you want.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: help identifying dune buggy Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Bottom line is to sort out what you want to do with is and them move forward. First thing is to fully assess what you have. You need to go through the mechanicals and move on from there.

What is "right or wrong" really is a personal choice. Our clone is pretty much how the original builder did it with exception of the engine, tranny, wheels, lighting, wiring, fuel tank and dash....Ok maybe I guess I did make a few changes LOL. But I left the faded/cracked body alone. And our car is VERY different from the last buggy I built for a customer - he had certain features that he wanted. Come up with a plan and rebuild the car to what you want.

tittle first.. then sort it out
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: help identifying dune buggy Reply with quote

To my knowledge there were no shop built buggies in our area, they were all owner built and that to me is right. That was what Bruce Meyers intended!

To tell you the truth, until I got on this site I didn't know there were Buggy Shops that built them, I thought they were all owner built. And I grew up through that era!

Also, looking at that buggy, the lights are all wrong. They should be the ones that came off the Beetle along with the stock shifter, steering wheel and seats. I ended up with a clone too and some days wish is was an original Manx but then my mind would limit me to restoring it to "original". This way I have the freedom to build it any way that suites me and not feel guilty about ruining an original! That is just my little "hang up".

And really, isn't that the beauty of owning a Buggy? A vehicle to express your selves with? Otherwise we would all just go to our local car dealer an do what the masses do.

We are each unique individuals and our Buggies need to reflect that! Very Happy
thepurplwunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: help identifying dune buggy Reply with quote

It's a buddy's and he wants to sell it. Haven't looked into south Carolina title procurement yet, but that is definitely a to do!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: help identifying dune buggy Reply with quote

As long as the price is not unreasonable ( price of course depending on the condition of the drive train and running gear), that Buggy is a really good starting point for a lot of good fun!

Go for it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: