Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

A friend of mine just replaced his front brake rotors on his jeep. He purchased a set that came with drilled and slotted rotors and included the pads as well.

I looked at them out of the box and they were quite impressive. After he installed them, he said the stopping power was considerably more than what he had before. The rotors he took off (not slotted or drilled) didn't look bad, The pads were OK but close to needing to be changed.

First question is; As I plan on pulling a 1000 lb trailer which has no brakes, what are your opinions on the drilled/slotted rotors VS the stock units?
I am aware of the big brake kits but would rather not go that route just yet.

Second question; The store is asking if I have ATE or Girling calipers. My van is an 82 Westy with stock brakes. Does anyone know the answer?

Here is a shot of the calipers and pads
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your opinion matters.
Thanks, Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

I believe that pads for the stock 80-85 brakes are all the same.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I believe that pads for the stock 80-85 brakes are all the same.

Thanks for the reply but the vendor is asking which one "ATE or Girling calipers"
and I don't know the answer.
Would it not matter then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Remove a front wheel and look closely at the caliper you have. The 2 pads are held by long pins that bridge holes in the tops of the pair of pads. If the long pins have small split pins through holes in the pins at the ends, they are NOT ATE. Plus ATE have a large ATE cast into them. But 82 vans all use the same pads and rotors, regardless.

Your photo isn't of parts for your van, either way.
82 rotors have integral hubs with wheel bearing race mounting holes in them.
82 pads have 2 holes at the top for the long pins.

Mark
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

That clarifies things - thanks for the detailed explination Mark.
I had the wheels off recently and didn't notice "ATE" in the castings. I'll pull one again and look at the pins.

The photo was an example of the slotted/drilled rotor. I'm hoping it improves the cooling and overall braking.

Many thanks,
Jim
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

it won't improve cooling; nor will it improve overall braking

slotted rotors are less likely to crack than drilled due to fewer stress risers

if you need cooling (long downhills or race courses) then duct air in to the rotors

the best designed rotors will have internal fan shaped 'slots' and the right CAD/CAE analysis can improve cooling

Zimmerman makes a good rotor

there are tons of bling rotors out there which will either not last long or endanger your life
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Thanks,
Those zimmerman rotors are quite spendy for sure.

My brakes are fine, I was just looking for a quick improvement over what I have as I am working towards a small trailer with a 500 lb motorcycle and 75 lb kayak.

I think adding brakes to the trailer would be the best bet even though I plan on keeping it in the 1000 lb range.

Thanks again
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

I have drilled Audi front rotors.They do look cool.You might want to check out available comparisons before you buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wbht355R8
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

adding brakes to the trailer would be the best bet
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Thanks,

I would say that they are slightly more costly than CCC. I don't find them to be "quite spendy".
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

trailer brakes are best of course.
1,000 is within the limits set for Vanagons.

you'll be fine as long as there aren't any big mtn twisty roads..

this was ~1000 miles of 2ndry and some I-95 by DC
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1012207.jpg

keep the calipers and E-brake adjusted up to top potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Gizmoman wrote:
Thanks,

I would say that they are slightly more costly than CCC. I don't find them to be "quite spendy".

It's a matter of opinion of course but if I can get a drilled and slotted set including pads for 150 and these are 270 each without pads, I call that spendy.

Of course, if the cheaper units fail then the 270 is cheap Very Happy

I will have to add brakes to the trailer myself as the light unit I plan on using has none which is typical. Just what I needed, another project. Still the best way to tow with the van and yes, I will be doing plenty of mountain driving.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Gizmoman wrote:
Thanks,

It's a matter of opinion of course but if I can get a drilled and slotted set including pads for 150 and these are 270 each without pads, I call that spendy.

Of course, if the cheaper units fail then the 270 is cheap Very Happy

I will have to add brakes to the trailer myself as the light unit I plan on using has none which is typical. Just what I needed, another project. Still the best way to tow with the van and yes, I will be doing plenty of mountain driving.

Zimmerman rotors and ATE pads from Van Cafe will set you back $150. Add to this the cost of bearings and seals.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't aware Van Cafe sold them. Just typed it into Google.

That is a very good price - not spendy at all.

By the way wesitarz, I watched the brake rotor video and found it to be very informative - thank you for the link.
My interpretation, drilled rotors actually hinder performance with today's new pad compounds (less surface area). The slotted rotors may help performance but not by much.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

cross drilled rotors are suppose to be directional. the ones in the photo are not.

had a friend with an audi that kept destroying pads on 1 side. when I pointed that out, he changed the rotors to a company who actually understood that and the problem went away.

moral of the story....don't buy ebay rotors

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

here is the ultimate brake rotor for some people:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

Those would stop well if the pads had pins

And who are some people?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled and slotted brake rotors (stock size) - two questions Reply with quote

the Vanagoneers who don't do proper maintenance but add all sorts of crazy and expensive things to their vehicles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: