Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Asking those of you who have Thule crossbars with artificial rain channel brackets bolted on a Westfalia pop-top: The gutter foot packs are available in three heights:
5" (#300), 8" (#387) and 11" (#953)
Which are you using?
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
• Vintage Air in-dash A/C
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

I am using 387.

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

I've got a two pair of Thule 300 gutter mount feet and load bars mounted on Thule artificial rain gutters on the pop top and a pair of Thule 953 super high gutter mount feet and load bar mounted over the luggage well. The rear bars hold my Thule box, and the front bar accommodates a 16' canoe or other longer items. All of the bars lie in the same plane, and clear the skylight.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Thank you that was very helpful. I think I know now that 300s are the best for my needs.
Glad I found this out before mounting my gutter brackets!
Laughing
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Thank you that was very helpful. I think I know now that 300s are the best for my needs.
Glad I found this out before mounting my gutter brackets!
Laughing
• Big Shot Shifter
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

I have had both the Thule 300 and 387 on. I have been meaning to post your exact question. I can not remember which I originally went with but I am having trouble deciding which ones to keep on. The 387s allow me to open the skylight/vent about halfway with the Thule box on. The 300s do not but the 300s do clear the skylight with the box on.

The 387s sit a little on the high side for me on an already tall westfalia. I have screens on the cabin side windows and a 3 window canvas I feel I can live without opening the roof vent to bring the racks down.

I like how the 300s fit the roofline tighter and when I have time I will put them back on and lay my surfboards up there. I was a little concerned that the rocker on the boards would not work with the 300s I don't feel and hope that will not be an issue. I also need to check that the canoe works with the height of the 300s. I definitely would prefer to use the 300s if the boards and canoe clear I can be content not opening the vent.

If the gear hits the roof I will stick with the 387s the picture is of them.

Last edited by theadventureneverends on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

If you have not already installed Jack Bombay lifts struts most like to place the rear artificial gutter so it utilizes the bolt for the strut.

I ordered his kit and could not be happier with it and tied it in with the rear artificial gutter. The strut mount will dictate where your gutter mount goes.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
If you have not already installed Jack Bombay lifts struts most like to place the rear artificial gutter so it utilizes the bolt for the strut.

I ordered his kit and could not be happier with it and tied it in with the rear artificial gutter. The strut mount will dictate where your gutter mount goes.

Yes yes been searching but haven't found ideas for a procedure. My 300 towers and ARGs are in the mail. Will be ordering the Bombay struts too so as to use the same hole and all that. But, I'll be installing solo. Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how best to "align" ARGs side to side and front to back? Seems like it would be really tricky to get all 4 ARGS "square" on the top. How concerned about precision do i need to be? I don't want any cockeyed bars mounted on my roof!
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how best to "align" ARGs side to side and front to back? Seems like it would be really tricky to get all 4 ARGS "square" on the top. How concerned about precision do i need to be? I don't want any cockeyed bars mounted on my roof!

Assuming your popup roof is square on the vehicle, just transfer your ARG locations from one side of the van to the other.

Start by working out your geometry for best weight balance, and whether or not you want the bracket holes to coincide with the lift-strut bolts, etc., then mark one side of the van. Measure the locations of those marks relative to the factory roof hardware bolt heads (rear hinges and front braces), then just carry them over to the other side of the van.

FYI, if you don't already know, the Jack Bombay lift struts (and probably all others) must be pretty precisely located in order to function properly, without a lot of leeway. So measure/install those first, then locate your other components in relation to them.

I love both my Thule rack system (with Gutter Foot Pack 300's) and the Jack Bombay lift struts, for carrying a pair of sea kayaks. I got a pair of Regular struts for everyday use, and a pair of Heavy-duty struts for use with kayaks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Hey yeah thanks that's good info. That helps explain where my reference points will be. I notice you didn't co-locate your strut and ARG.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
I notice you didn't co-locate your strut and ARG.

No, I often carry two expedition-weight sea kayaks, so I wanted to shift the entire load rearward as much as practical, in order to reduce lifted weight and strain on the forward locking struts. Be careful though, that your ARG bolt locations don't interfere with the lift-struts when the roof is retracted. As I recall, I had to shorten one bolt on each side in order to clear.

A carpenters square helps keep your lines straight when measuring from the bottom edge of the Westy roof.

Drill your first hole, with a piece of scrap wood behind the roof so you don’t drill your canvas Embarassed

Knowing that the best template for a part is often the part itself, dry-fit the ARG or backing plate with a bolt in your first hole, then go through the remaining hole to drill your second.

I painted my ARGs white to match the roof, cuz I was feeling schmancy …

BTW, besides being a quality product, the instructions included with the Jack Bombay lift struts are perhaps the best I’ve ever seen from a small any vendor, far better than many I’ve seen even for products costing 5 times as much.

Here are a few threads about the relative issues with co-locating or not:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659863
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613652

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

I'd say it depends on where you drill your holes for a Westy. As to where the best place to drill... I don't think that there is too much strength to be gained drilling high (close to the corner) as the load is pretty much straight down. My Westy was drilled high so standard Yakimas or 300s would (do) work best.

The Thule 387 works great on tintops. I've seen 300s on tintops that almost rub the roof at the high center point. Here are my rides with racks as mentioned.

-d

91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Wait to do ARGs until you have Jack's lift struts in hand.

Two things I would have done differently are a stainless slim locknut on his lift stud bolt and a 1/2 inch higher on the top.

I did not know about or consider awnings during install. My wife and I just put a 10ft Fiamma on and it fits (we LIKE it) but I was not able to keep my Thule locking knobs on the passenger side I used a stainless nut followed by a locking stainless. Not noticable since awning blocks it and would still be a pain to steal plus the drivers side is locked. Had I gone just a hair higher with the ARGs the Thule knobs would have fit.

On the rear bolt which is my Bombay one I have a regular stainless locknut. The width of it slightly hits the Thule 300 and 387 feet making it a slight pain to get the foot into the arg. While looking for hardware to adjust clamshell to fit a larger tire I noticed they make a slim stainless locknut I will be using those one of these days and cutting two more threads off of Jack's supplied bolt.

I have had both the Thule 300 and 387 feet on and have now switched back to the shorter 300 foot. The 387 just seemed to high and not necessary for my taste, with a lift and a Thule box I was up there. My ARG are just a little over and inch down from the top.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Quote:
Wait to do ARGs until you have Jack's lift struts in hand.

This does save you from drilling two holes but do consider that strut location is about a foot forward from where you could place the rear ARGs. The further back you place your rack/load, the easier it will be to raise the top.
My rear ARGs are too far back in my opinion (PO installed front and rear, I installed middle). My Thule Atlantis 1600 cargo box clamps are just wide enough to reach. A couple inches forward would be perfect.
-d
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

I spent some time studying Thule cargo boxes minimum and maximum distances between bars and the way I chose to mount made the most sense to me to accept the majority of their boxes as far aft as possible and use JBs lift bolt. Had I not wanted to have one less bolt through the top and the Thule boxes would have lined up and may have mounted the rear arg back another 6". I am happy with my mounting location as it also lines up perfectly with the RMW ladder.

I am thinking about splitting a set of bars and feet with someone as I would like at least one more bar forward for longboards and a canoe. I may even try to get two more feet and bars so I can mount a small open carrier for fire wood or a soar panel in front of the Thule box.

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Another thing to consider, 387s were near impossible to score on Craigslist while I saw lots of 300s.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

Shoots I was going to return the 387s to REI but if for some reason they are sought after maybe I can do better on cl? Thank you!
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

I got the 387s as I planned to put kayaks or canoes on the top and wanted clearance so it would be easy to reach under and around the boat to loop straps on. Very happy with my choice. My van does not fit in my garage with a rack on no matter the size of the rack so I like the 387s fine.
alexdoubleyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which height Thule gutter foot pack are you using? Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
Shoots I was going to return the 387s to REI but if for some reason they are sought after maybe I can do better on cl? Thank you!

Any chance you'd be into shipping them to Canada?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: