Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breast plate question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
superhenk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Breast plate question Reply with quote

Yes, I did do my research first and really can't find anything. So here it goes:

I have two breast plates for a 36HP, the top one is the 'normal' one, the bottom one has an extra lip spot welded to it to make it larger. It looks stock but I can't figure out what it is for.

Any one here knows what it is for? And the top one is for my '56 Oval?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Oval De Luxe, build in progress

1956 Oval Canadian Standard Judson Supercharged, build in progress

1970 European Standard Beetle, in storage in The Netherlands at the moment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breast plate question Reply with quote

Probably trying to fit the shape so it seals well against an apron that is poorly repaired or changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Breast plate question Reply with quote

Freaky, I guess someone did that as I have never seen it before.

Yes, the top normal one would be for your '56.

I wonder if the bottom one would fit a later car that was larger that had a 36hp put into it for whatever reason?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Breast plate question Reply with quote

Isn't the larger for an industrial engine?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Breast plate question Reply with quote

This seems possible too.

Usually when I think industrial tin I think of something more like this rectangular piece but I'm sure there is more than one version, even of this piece:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Breast plate question Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if the bottom one would fit a later car that was larger that had a 36hp put into it for whatever reason?

I think you're close. I remember reading here many years ago that when VW went to the 40hp engine in the Ghia for the 1961 model year, the original 36hp engine compartment rear panel (that holds the engine lid latch) was discontinued for spare parts purposes. Only the later one was kept for spares. Since fitting a later rear panel onto a 36hp Ghia for accident repairs would create a large open gap, this tin was offered. Probably also fits a Beetle on which the H apron was replaced by the '61 and later "smooth" style. I wonder how a 40hp stale air rear breast plate would compare to this 36hp "extended" one.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Breast plate question Reply with quote

This is what is listed in my early 70's dealer parts book for the 25 and 36hp style breast plate. Unfortunately they all reference the same drawing of a later style breast plate.

111 119 521
cover plate - engine (rear)
from engine 3 912 904 up to 3 949 222
30 b.h.p

111 119 521 D
from engine 3 949 223
30 b.h.p

111 119 523 A
up to engine 3 912 903
25 -, 30 b.h.p

Everything beyond that is for 40 hp and later. Interestingly all the later ones end with a 523 number rather than 521.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Breast plate question Reply with quote

36hp engines were factory installed in new bugs as late as 1965 for use in some countries Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: