Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:
i don't think it will be feasible for us to wrench every bolt on the kombi before we leave, so if you were going to take this around the world, what other areas would you focus on before you left, mechanically speaking?

(another way to phrase this questions could be what areas are prone to failure more than others?)

the answer is EVERYTHING.
clearly you have learned nothing from your previous debacle.

Clearly you haven't learned about the constant income stream from the pity points. Laughing

Here Ben try this.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/hvo/d/yanmar-engine/6253685453.html
It's at least a modern engine & is used throughout the world in (smaller) heavy equipment & boats. Set it for low WOT & get great fuel economy while idling around the world at 40-45 MPH.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
We will only have limited time State-side to get the resto / prep work done to get this beast ready for the long road ahead. (due to visa restrictions)

humor me. how much time are you talking about?
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:
We will only have limited time State-side to get the resto / prep work done to get this beast ready for the long road ahead. (due to visa restrictions)

humor me. how much time are you talking about?

We are allowed in the US for 6 months at a time
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

ok. so you are not in the usa now, and when you get here you'll have 6 months to get this on the road. gotcha. thanks.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Six months - Doable with the usual trade of money for time.

Quote:
Still haven't driven this kombi yet as it wasn't running at the time but we will be installing a different motor anyway.

I don't get this. It was running fine when parked....
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

If I had 6 Months, I would look into a water-cooled conversion with a more modern engine (2000-2005 era) I would stick to the most basic and used Toyota or vw engine. Parts will be available world wide and should be fairly cheap. You will also get great reliability out of it. You can then ignore some other maintenance that would have been completed before leaving then to make for a good show. Such as the transmission and other old components. I would sourcing parts prior to leaving such as wheel bearings, cv rebuild kits, brake rebuild kits (though I would prioritize that for safety before leaving), a shifter bushing kit, electrical wires and spades, maybe if you have space a transmission rebuild kit? A high performance clutch?

And if I were you I would put the radiator in the front of the bus disguised as a spare tire. It would make sure you don't have overheating problems.

Or throw a professionally rebuilt type 4 engine in there that is built with the intention of putting shit gas in it and to be abused (you just wont have the same part availability)

I vote watercooled though. Good luck.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

simplest and most reliable to me would be a VW inline
1.8 JH digifant found in 89-92 golf/jetta/cabriolet
2.0 ABA motronic found in 1993-1999 golf/jetta/cabrio
*head water outlet needs work around fuel tank firewall.
1.6/1.9 Diesel or better Turbo Diesel.
you can go TDI, but the TD is plenty of power, plenty reliable and simpler to install. have the injection pump rebuilt, and a good spare waiting at a friend to drop ship.

get the mexican bellhousing bits to mount it, will help with clearance to the firewall.

me I'd go the Turbo Diesel route. radiator strapped to the roof or nose behind a Roo bar. oops sorry no roof you've a hightop now..

parts are still available new for the diesels through many world wide parts houses. though the engines are getting old now.. there were millions of them out there..

my old 1.6TD would push my Vanagon down the interstate at 72mph and 25mpg. doesn't require much if any electricity to run or even start if you park on a hill. and plenty of low end torque for off road/mtn driving (the 1.8 digifant lacks here, which I also had in my vanagon for a few years @ 70mph @ 23mpg)

the turbo adds complexity but helps it overcome altitude.. the NA will choke over 8,000ft ASL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I think going TD or TDI is a great idea too. My only reserve on it would be if diesel is more difficult to come by in more remote areas (idk if this is accurate or not, it is a genuine question). Along those same thought trains, I would consider adapting a larger gas tank or a secondary gas tank if I were you.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

The great thing about a diesel is that in a pinch, you could run it on kerosene, vegi oil, engine oil, ATF, & even antifreeze if you had to. I once got my Vanagon diesel two more miles down the road to a gas station with the contents of a can of WD40 & a can of PB blaster that I found in the van while looking for a container to drain some antifreeze into to dump in the tank.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

water cooled is not out of the question - still considering all options. thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The great thing about a diesel is that in a pinch, you could run it on kerosene, vegi oil, engine oil, ATF, & even antifreeze if you had to. I once got my Vanagon diesel two more miles down the road to a gas station with the contents of a can of WD40 & a can of PB blaster that I found in the van while looking for a container to drain some antifreeze into to dump in the tank.

HAHA That is incredible. Imagine trying to do that in a gas engine, it would just look at you and toss you the bird.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I've also used home heating oil, and in the case of no diesel stations around, I walked into a grocery store & bought a gallon of canola oil. another time, I found a hardware store & got a gallon of lamp oil.

When fuel prices spike, I have a centrifuge & filter used ATF to run the car off of. I run the ATF straight with no problems. I also experimented with used engine oil but found that it (obviously) smokes excessively if mixed more than 35% with diesel fuel.

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I've also used home heating oil, and in the case of no diesel stations around, I walked into a grocery store & bought a gallon of canola oil. another time, I found a hardware store & got a gallon of lamp oil.

When fuel prices spike, I have a centrifuge & filter used ATF to run the car off of. I run the ATF straight with no problems. I also experimented with used engine oil but found that it (obviously) smokes excessively if mixed more than 35% with diesel fuel.

is that bad for the engine?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

No, I don't suggest using veggie oil long term & definitely not biodiesel due to waxy build up in fuel system & crank case, but the ATF, home heating oil, & other dino based oils readily mix with diesel & are actually a much better lubricant for the diesel pump & injectors. However, to a degree, it's not as environmentally friendly. While you're repurposing waste oil that would get dumped onto the ground in many parts of the world, you would be introducing more pollutants into the atmosphere, I look at it as a give & take.
It is free fuel however & you would get 30-50% better fuel economy.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

it's not necessarily good for the injectors or pump.

but lots o stuff has been poured thru a VW diesel..

filtered fry oil will get you home if the outside temp is above 90*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
it's not necessarily good for the injectors or pump.

but lots o stuff has been poured thru a VW diesel..

filtered fry oil will get you home if the outside temp is above 90*

When I filter with a centrifuge, it's actually cleaner than most of the diesel coming from a pump as it not only removes particulate down to 5 micron, but it also removes water. The oily nature of the alternate sources is a much better lubricant than modern diesel with all the sulfur & other lubricants removed to keep from damaging cats, and that's what's wiping out all the Bosch VE pumps & TDI pumps.

Another positive to running ATF is that, while it is a heavier viscosity than diesel, it has a much lower gel point than diesel.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I had a 1.6 NA diesel that I put into a VW Cabriolet that I drove for several years.

Was a lot of fun!

I ran filtered used veggie oil mixed approximately 50/50 with diesel right in the tank. I got my oil from Chipotle where the only thing they fried was the tortilla chips. So it was fairly clean to start with.

I'd drive until the gauge indicated I needed about a 10 gallon fill up. I'd put 5 gallons of oil in the tank at home, then drive to the filling station and top off.

One time, I did this, showered, and intended to go to the filling station on my way out of town. Except I forgot to fill up!

The power was way down as the thicker oil worked its way through the system, but slowly, eventually over the 1-hour trip power returned as the oil heated up and thinned out a bit. I topped off before I returned home.

Once I went from the old fashioned 1.6 to TDI motors, I quit using the veggie oil. My thought/reasoning was that the parts on the TDI pumps and injectors were likely finer tolerances than the old style, and more expensive to boot.

Having a TDI in my Bus, and having run diesels on alternative stuff, if you want that capability as well as simpliity along the world-wide trip, I think I'd go with maybe a freshly built, older style 1.9 turbo diesel with a simple intercooler design and radiator on the front. NOT one controlled by a computer. I'd probably have the engine rebuilt and use a fresh pump and all that as was mentioned. I'd have the transmission rebuilt and regeared to match the new engine as well as a tire size that would be easy to find.

As was said, a diesel can be made to run on a lot of things (I didn't know about antifreeze though!) in a pinch and would probably give a little further range over a lot of gas motors. Carry a couple extra fuel filters if you think you might be using "alternative" fuels.

When running that Cabriolet on veggie oil, I actually used a cheapy inline filter in front of the real fuel filter because even though I pre-filtered the oil, occasionally chip bits would find their way into the fuel system. So I'd do the same in this type of situation.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I learned about the antifreeze after I had an Audi run away on its antifreeze due to a bad head gasket.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Internally, the TDI pump is the same as the older VE pumps, just with computer controls.

To Ben, with your track record, if you decide to go diesel, stay away from the extra electronics, stay with the mechanical injection.

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
To Ben, with your track record, if you decide to go diesel, stay away from the extra electronics, stay with the mechanical injection.

whilst we're on the subject - What diesel motor would you recommend to shoe horn into a bay window?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 41

Jump to: