Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

just go with the robust stuff & bypass the flimsy 002 trans that should be there,
meaning 091 4 speed & stock(ish) 2.0L for the torque you will be needing.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

The VW turbo diesel from 1982-1984 (mk1) & the VW turbo diesel from 1985-1992 (mk2) were the simplest work horses & adapter plates are readily available for them. Both are pretty much the same with the exception of hydraulic lifters in the later models & brackets. The turbo diesel will give you roughly 70hp vs 49hp in the non-turbo versions. There were 1.9l mechanical TDIs available in Canada in the mk3 that made roughly 90hp that would be ideal,if you can source one & get it here.

The biggest bonus is that aside from figuring out where to put the radiator, the only wiring change necessary is to add a glow plug relay & harness (and relay & wiring for the cooling fan).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Thanks - with regards to cooling. Is there no way to have a radiator mounted within the engine compartment? The reading I have been doing shows that there can be overheating issues with the rads in the engine bay. Every heard of a success story?
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Well, I've tried it and lots of others have too.

Just doesn't seem to work well, unless you have a lot of engineers working for you to help figure it out.

There are a couple threads here and there that initially claim to have it working that way, but the posters haven't come back and updated or anything like that so it is hard to tell if it is really working for them.

I even cut a damn hole in my bus trying to make the engine-compartment radiator work but it just simply didn't work. I finally welded the piece of metal back in because I was tired of samba folks asking if I had made a battery door! Shocked

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Make a roo bar & hang it off the back of that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

reading material
https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+bus+radiator+co...mp;bih=896

if you are willing to hack into the body and most concerned about aesthetics, then get the VW of Mexico radiator and grill.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw//forum/viewtopic.php?t=418919

if you don't want to hack into the body then hang one off a roo bar or hide it in a fake spare tire. you can always mount the spare tire on the back hatch/bumper easily enough.

this gets my vote

but do it neater than this guy
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/pokey-the-wunderbus.653269/page-4

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

gud reed'n
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558012
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

this gets my vote

There's the way to repurpose a 55 gal drum.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

this gets my vote

There's the way to repurpose a 55 gal drum.

& yet I would feel so much better seeing a couple hard lines running up
from that front bumper...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

& yet I would feel so much better seeing a couple hard lines running up
from that front bumper...

Wasn't that a Delorean thing?

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=1936768

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Well, I've tried it and lots of others have too.

Just doesn't seem to work well, unless you have a lot of engineers working for you to help figure it out.

There are a couple threads here and there that initially claim to have it working that way, but the posters haven't come back and updated or anything like that so it is hard to tell if it is really working for them.

Thanks, I think we've been reading the same threads. Unless I find someone with tried and tested results for an engine bay rad, I think it has to be discounted - although it would be my preferred option. Belly mount would be next. I really don't want it on the front but if it has to go, the fake tire situation would be best.

I appreciate the links and info y'all are sharing.

FYI If I do go down the route of water-cooled conversion, I wouldn't be doing it alone, I'll seek help from someone more experienced than myself. I'd need more time to tackle something like that alone.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

for an around the world (3rd world) travel I WOULD NOT put it under the belly
but that may be jut my opinion.. that you'll have belly dragging moments on rutted boulder strewn war zones... Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
but that may be jut my opinion.. that you'll have belly dragging moments on rutted boulder strewn war zones... Laughing

X2

Another diesel option that might be more available on other continents would be one from a Toyota. Sourcing one here might be difficult & some of them had an outrageously priced alternator/IP combo. When the alternator went bad, you replaced the injection pump too.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

X2

Another diesel option that might be more available on other continents would be one from a Toyota. Sourcing one here might be difficult & some of them had an outrageously priced alternator/IP combo. When the alternator went bad, you replaced the injection pump too.

X3, go front mount with the 55 gal drum well painted. (actually, make that crap out of aluminum. the steel is too heavy)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

the funny thing is that the Brits put the spare tire dum over the oe VW South american grill

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
To Ben, with your track record, if you decide to go diesel, stay away from the extra electronics, stay with the mechanical injection.

whilst we're on the subject - What diesel motor would you recommend to shoe horn into a bay window?

I completely agree with this line of thought. And old tech is more reliable than new tech in the third world.
So, 1.6 NA, 1.6 TD, or....1.7NA. It's a few more hp (mid 50s) and has a few upgrades that might make more longevity.
IN FACT, there is a manual replacement for the solenoid of the Bosch VE pump that is completely manual. Made for stationary applications. You could just carry one along and if ever you ran out of battery charging (alternator) ability, you could just swap this part and bump start (or use a rope, possibly) and have completely electricity free operation.
Also: stay away from the serpentine belt. Oh, yes it is so modern and so cute, and puts so much shock thru the accessory drive that sprocket and crank key failure is a problem on 1.9 engines.
Turbo is a good idea. Intercooler, more problem. You could even go with the 1992 1.6 ECOdiesel, which uses a turbo , but no turbo enrichment, so it makes no more power than a NA, but will make the same power in a mountain pass as at sea level.
Gearing? Wow. Maybe just stock 1982 Vanagon diesel box retro fitted to fit the Bay chassis? With 5.43/1 final and 0.82 4th gear it will go about 62 mph at 4300 (just guessing). With a turbo, bigger diameter tires would still pull pretty well. And possibly be better off road/ 3rd world conditions.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the funny thing is that the Brits put the spare tire dum over the oe VW South american grill

It is just the looks of a spare tire to hide the ugly grill, the front of the wheel shape is mesh metal, there is nothing in it!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

That's dumb. But, If screened on back and an openable hatch, maybe one could throw in a few bulk waterproof items to get a little more room. The extra front weight bias might make a bit more stable in cross winds.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Put in a bid for this one, Ben

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 41

Jump to: