Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

The first pulley had issues from the time I got it, it was original and already quite warped. I think it's failure was impending from the get go.

The second was a reproduction pulley bought here on thesamba. I believe the spot welds on that pulley failed. First one weld and then the failure passed onto the next and so forth.

The Crank is true. Each failure occurred with a different crankshaft as well. My belts are the same as I've done for 20 years and done according to factory specs.

The second pulley, the reproduction, was great until one day it suddenly appeared slightly loose. Then I would adjust a shim, then soon it would be loose again...this continued. Now that I look back, I believe it was in the process of bending or braking loose of spot welds. I personally would purchase another reproduction (even though I haven't yet), but I would carefully inspect it and TIG weld the backside of the spot welds. There are a few other factors that may have been in play, but I think the basic story is to carefully inspect early pulleys both upper and lower. Don't tolerate much wear on the upper pulley and the related pieces of that because that can lead to pulley movement/vibration when driving. Talking to folks, old timers knew these 25hp style pulleys were prone to failure...now I understand why VW upgraded them with the rolled lip style for additional rigidity.

I am driving my car quite a lot, some of these issues that owners had with early parts get exposed in that process.

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Gotcha!

Glad to know it's definitely the pulleys and not the crank. Keep on rollin!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

A crashbox update
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Thankfully a friend had this NOS bearing to replace the failed bearing in my gearbox. This is the same bearing as regular splitcase trans

Decided to replace all other bearings, except one, while it was apart. The rear pinion bearing was perfect and nicer than an NOS one I sourced from the same friend. All other bearings were replaced with SKF or FAG.

Redid the axle tubes with flattened Imron. Axle tubes are a little too glossy, but didn't have time to repaint them again. Seamless boots from Wolfsburg West

It drives even better now since the rebuild. Shifts better, quieter.....recently driving it since the rebuild including a trip to Seattle for Vintage Meet, camping in Leavenworth WA, and this quick picture by a vintage sign in Monroe WA on our way home to Oregon.

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Nice work Patrick!

Thanks for letting me drive it. I found it super easy to learn to drive a full crash, and fun, maybe it's because of how good your transmission worked.
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

thank you again Patrick for taking me and my daughter for a cruise on the I-5 and watching you masterfully double clutching. both of us left the rose city bug in pumped. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Nice work Patrick!

Thanks for letting me drive it. I found it super easy to learn to drive a full crash, and fun, maybe it's because of how good your transmission worked.

Thanks Greg. I just think you're a natural (and it's not as tough as some people wanna make it sound)

52 split wrote:
thank you again Patrick for taking me and my daughter for a cruise on the I-5 and watching you masterfully double clutching. both of us left the rose city bug in pumped. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You're so welcome Boris. It was really nice meeting you both and sharing the car with you. Good luck on your car, please let me know however I can be of help.. Hopefully next time we meet up you'll give driving the split window a chance. Wink
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

What coating did you use on the case?
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

An aluminum etching coating and alodine
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Sad face.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Sad face.

x2 Sad
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Sad face.

Care to share?, some of us don't do FB or IG, I'm assuming there's something to be sad about on there? Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
D-train wrote:
Sad face.

Care to share?, some of us don't do FB or IG, I'm assuming there's something to be sad about on there? Confused

It's a story for mr ogpaint to tell..
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

The story has been told, I'm not sure if Patrick will repost it here, if you are not on IG you can google search #chestnutthesplit and find photos. Not sure if you can read the text/comments.

Patrick and Rachael were in a multiple car accident on the way to the Yakima show this past weekend. It was not their fault. The damage to the car was pretty significant. From an insurance standpoint it may be considered to be a total loss, but I expect it could be fixed and used again one day with some serious effort. They walked away bruised and sore but with no broken bones. They made it to Yakima in another vehicle, and they do seem to be in good spirits considering. It was very impressive. It was good to see them. Their always contagious positive attitude was surprisingly intact.

I am looking forward to seeing you guys soon.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

I feel sorry with you!

You gave the car the right therapy it deserved, doing so many good things to that survivor. Driving also belongs to it, no riding - no fun. These cars need to be driven, also to stay present for public.

I drive my '50 every dry and shiny day, at my way to work, being also aware of the risk every time, especially when many mad people drive behind me without any reasonable distance, a big illness today. But I can't help it but keeping driving. It's also a kind of addiction...

I really hope, no, I'm sure that you will find a good way getting out of this. Now, this car is still more a survivor than before, as it looks to be fixable.

All best wishes for you and your patient!

Last edited by pastellgreen on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
The story has been told, I'm not sure if Patrick will repost it here, if you are not on IG you can google search #chestnutthesplit and find photos. Not sure if you can read the text/comments.

To instagram tag link you can do this
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/chestnutthesplit/
and see some pics

It's looks pretty bad but glad they weren't hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

X2 on hearing no one was seriously hurt, especially with low back seats where your head can be whipped back being rear ended and cause spinal injuries.

The bug took a serious impact but for its rarity, it can certainly be fixed with some donor metal and a talented body guy.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Wow. That is really distressing. I'm so glad they came through okay. The car is most definitely worth saving.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Oh Man!, that's definitely sad face news.

Sorry to hear about the car but glad they are OK, you can repair/replace metal, but the meaty bits inside are priceless.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Hi Folks- I will be posting this info soon, just had a lot to do the last several days. 7 vehicles involved in the accident so it's basically all day long on the phone right now.

I plan on catching up the story of the last couple things I've done on Chestnut before this happened....it was a 100% done split, 100% the way I liked it, 100% able to drive it anywhere at anytime in any condition, 100% original metal, completely correct car. And such an original and unmolested Beetle before this accident. After a post to catch up the storyline, I'll post the accident photos and info, but It's sad. It will be documented here though, thesamba is such a great forum for preserving the history of these cars and showing the ups and downs of restoration and ownership. Thank you Everett. I believe this car will be saved, I will do my best to see that it's documented here even if I'm not involved with the resurrection.

Thanks for the support, I expect to make a couple posts explaining everything in the next day or two...and I will have the time, because I'm not feeling up for work right now.
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

so sorry to hear the news. stay strong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: