Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphores and bullets?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Semaphores and bullets? Reply with quote

I am curious. I looked at a 1957 recently that had semaphores and bullet turn signals. Semaphores were not working. I would assume that this makes it a European beetle that someone converted? Had a MPH speedo and the towel rack bumpers. Any information would be appreciated.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores and bullets? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is an example of a European spec car that had turn signals added at time of delivery. A European delivery to a U.S. serviceman on his way back to the U.S. I think. What's interesting about this car is the use of two relay units- one for the semaphore and one for the directionals. Theres a photo of the relay setup in the gallery. Directionals were often added aftwards as laws changed in some European countries requiring them. That is why you'll often see semaphore bugs sporting top mount peanuts or sometimes opera lights replacing the semaphores.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores and bullets? Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:

This is an example of a European spec car that had turn signals added at time of delivery. A European delivery to a U.S. serviceman on his way back to the U.S. I think. What's interesting about this car is the use of two relay units- one for the semaphore and one for the directionals. Theres a photo of the relay setup in the gallery. Directionals were often added aftwards as laws changed in some European countries requiring them. That is why you'll often see semaphore bugs sporting top mount peanuts or sometimes opera lights replacing the semaphores.

Based on the fading paint on the front fenders and nowhere else I would suspect that the dealer replaced the front fenders and painted them to match. It would have been easier than adding the bullets to the existing fenders. A new fender was something like $20 back then.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores and bullets? Reply with quote

Yes. I was unclear. Turnsignals were added by swapping out the original fenders for fenders with turn signals.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores and bullets? Reply with quote

Thanks *Darren Very Happy
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores and bullets? Reply with quote

Hello Volks!

That's actually my car named "Blauchen" (means small and blue in German).

Featured here on the Samba - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506556

The car was bought by a U.S. Navy Research Scientist working in Munich at the time (1957) he bought the car from MAHAG (ala "Grey Market") because the waiting list for a new VW Beetle was 14 to 16 months through the American PX.

The demand to buy cars outside the PX system was so great that MAHAG had a English Only Speaking Reception team assembled who's only job was to assist American GI's and U.S. Government workers in the purchase's of a new VW.

These Volkswagen's had to be converted to D.O.T. specifications BEFORE they could be shipped home via the port of Bremerhaven to the U.S.A.

RAM Protection, U.S.A. bumpers, sealed beam headlights, bullet blinker fenders, Export blinker switch on steering column and M.P.H. speedometer were added to the cars at the dealer. (cost more or less around $150). My car also has some unique European features like the "vision free" safety glass windshield (which didn't come stateside till 1962) naturally the semaphores and a very cool KAMEI rear hat shelf under the rear window also added on at the dealership.

Converted cars would be shipped home FREE OF CHARGE paid by the U.S. Government. (about $200 back then.)

I've interviewed a former mechanic who worked there from 1954 to 1962 and he told me that hundreds if not a few thousand cars were "Dealer Modified" to pass the strict D.O.T. Import inspections prior to their shipment back to the states.

My car came back to states sometime in 1959 and stayed most of it's life in Raleigh, North Carolina, where the original owner gave it to his Mother who drove it till she passed away, (sometime in the 1980's) then the car then went back to the Son who put the car into storage outside of Cincinnati, Ohio and drove it only on the property to keep the car roadworthy.

In 2011 the Scientist passed away and his Son put the car up for sale here on the Samba, funny enough I wasn't the first person to inquire about the car, two people were ahead of me, a European who backed down because of the shipping costs and a Californian who freaked out on the seller because he accidentally hit "reply all" with their Internet conversations.

I just knew, I had a feeling about this car, something about it was special, sorta like "Herbie" is, I know that's crazy! Very Happy

See photo above:
The devil is in the details, the license plate is a very rare 1957 Florida "Lightweight" tag, issued to cars weighing under 2,000 lbs. *T -CODE*
County Code is 9 = Escambria County, Florida home to Pensacola and the U.S. Naval Air Station and Superior Motors (see plate frame) one of Florida's earliest VW/Porsche dealers. ~ The numbers weren't important when I bought the plate, till someone mentioned to me that the 36HP motor has 1192 cc's.

Back then while the car was for sale there was another thread here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=486922&highlight=semaphores++bullets

That questioned the "Semaphore & Bullets" issue, a few people also dissed the car, said it must be some put together junk, but no one knew the cars unique TRUE story.

The seller called me back (like 3 days later) and asked if I was still interested in he car? I told him YES!

I found out the car came from MAHAG and was a real European car (what I was after anyway) and I really didn't think about the interior, until I asked him "what color is the leatherette?" ~ Well he replied, "what are you talking about? It doesn't have leatherette, it has some funny looking POLKADOTTED cloth stuff". ~ Ahh well I almost (really) dropped the phone and on that comment I asked if I could send a deposit and I bought the car sight-un-seen.

With only 27,400 ORIGINAL MILES the car was delivered to me in Florida, in the amazing condition you see in the older photos................ currently Blauchen has only 33,241 miles.

Since 2011, I've found 4 other cars here in the states that were MAHAG delivered cars, that were dealer modified Ovals to D.O.T.specs while still in Germany.

I've also found out that MAHAG was still modifying European cars to D.OT. specs as late as 1960, using the early "Peanut" blinker fenders on cars going stateside.

Oddly enough this hybrid of a car was brought on by the lack of supply of cars to the U.S. Forces PX system in the 1950's, by 1962/63 the order times were eased down to about 30 to 45 days, satisfying even more Americans working abroad who wanted a simple, fun and economical little car to drive to work and tour Europe with.

I hope my story was helpful to those concerned......

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: