Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

I finally figured out what that extra gray wire into the headlight bucket was for on my Mexican single cab. The truck was built to euro spec, so this is for the integral parking light. We might call this a daytime running light here in the US. US spec buses do not have this feature.

These were also mentioned in this thread from some time ago:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383293

I am bring this truck back to its original factory spec (front and rear fog lights and all sort of jazz with the Z21 M-code package) and that includes these headlights that have the parking light built in (BusDepot calls these "city lights":

http://www.busdepot.com/hq6014

The trouble I am having is that the headlight buckets, which support the headlights, do not allow for the small running light bulb housing, which is offset to the bottom. The running light bumps into the ring behind the headlight, tapped for the three small retaining ring screws. I imagine that some PO switched out the buckets with US spec buckets when they taped off the running light wires.

I suppose I could modify these buckets by cutting out part of them with a Dremel or something, but I'd rather locate a pair of proper euro-style headlight buckets that can accommodate the running lights.

Anyone ever see these or know where to find them?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

Couple sets here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Keep in mind they are a 1 peice unit (trim ring/lens/reflector/mount) and use a different bulb (not H4).

Edit: lots of good stuff in this thread as well: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675861&highlight=

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

I had done a search in the classifieds. I guess I did not know what to look for, but I think you found it!

And the other thread... Funny that, I had posted there some time back.

So it seems that the answer to my question is that I really need new headlight mounting rings.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

I've now got some euro-spec H4 headlight assemblies (lens+reflector as a single unit, plus back mounting ring, plus front crome ring) on my desk that I can take a picture of for you, if that helps. Just let me know.

Note that even here in Europe I've never come across folks selling the mounting ring separately, so you might have to buy the full lamp assembly. Sometimes people sell their heavily rusted headlights (mostly the reflector) at a good price, and the mounting ring is still ok.

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Keep in mind they are a 1 peice unit (trim ring/lens/reflector/mount) and use a different bulb (not H4).

Note that the ones I've got can be taken apart as:

- Trim ring (chromed plastic. 1 single mounting screw)
- Lens/reflector (single unit)
- Mount ring (not trivial to take apart, but can be done with some care. Holds mounting and adjusting screws)

This applies to both the R2 and H4 headlight assemblies I've got.

Decode your M-Plate
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
I've now got some euro-spec H4 headlight assemblies (lens+reflector as a single unit, plus back mounting ring, plus front chrome ring) on my desk that I can take a picture of for you, if that helps. Just let me know.

If you don't mind, yes, that would be helpful. I'm interested to know if there is more than one way to handle the DRL bulb issue. One way is to use the different chrome rings that have the two extra adjustment screws in addition to the one mounting screw that we are all familiar with here.

It seems that your setup may be another way this was done.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

Here you go:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only thing missing is the single-screw plastic chrome trim ring for each unit, as it's on the bus. You see them dismantled as I'm in the process of restoring them. The mount rings were originally zinc-plated, but in the process of removing the rust (citric acid), the little zinc that was left was also removed. You now see them with a coat of primer.

The headlights came from a Golf I, but I believe they are exactly the same ones that were used as an upgrade for European buses. From the outside, they're mostly the same as the also Euro-spec headlights with R2 incandescent lamps the PO replaced the US sealed beams with. The only visible difference is the fact that the lenses from the non-halogen headlights had more of a dome shape. The H4 ones are nearly flat.

I hope this helps!

Decode your M-Plate
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

The Lenses for all British & European specification, 1974~79 VW Type 2 headlamps are all flat, irrespective of whether they have 45/40W glass-envelope bulbs with P45t mounting flanges or 60/55W quartz-halogen bulbs with P43t mounting flanges. It was only the earlier multi-piece, 1968~73 VW Type 2 headlamps, which had the removable convex lenses.

The small 9 mm pilot bulb, is normally rated at 4W or 5W, like side-marker lights and is not bright enough to be a DRL - daytime running light. They are designated as side lights, parking lights or front position lights, which in Great Britain may be used in conjunction with just a matched pair of front fog lights, in fog or falling snow.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Nigel.

Were these headlights with the integral "parking lights" mounted to the vehicle with the special three-screw trim rings, or with the one-screw ones that we are familiar with here in the US?

If the one-screw rings, how is there room for the offset parking light bulb? Mine bumps into the mounting ring, but there must have been a way...
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Thanks for the info, Nigel.

Were these headlights with the integral "parking lights" mounted to the vehicle with the special three-screw trim rings, or with the one-screw ones that we are familiar with here in the US?

If the one-screw rings, how is there room for the offset parking light bulb? Mine bumps into the mounting ring, but there must have been a way...

Those for 1968~73 VW Type 2s had a "trim-ring" with three holes, of which two were for beam-aiming adjustment screws and the third for attachment of the multi-piece attachment to the vehicle.

Screw A = Horizontal (i.e. lateral) beam-aiming screw
Screw B = Vertical beam-aiming screw
Screw C = Headlamp-unit securing screw

Those for 1979~74 VW Type 2s had a "trim-ring" with only one hole, for attachment of the separate trim-ring to the vehicle. The lamp unit was mounted by means of three L-shaped brackets inside the vehicle-body's lamp housing.

Right-hand drive, left-dipping, 1974~79 VW Type 2, Hella bulb-type headlamp units, with P45t flanged, 100/80W H4 bulbs, retro-fitted to my British specification, right-hand drive, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan, after welding three DIY-fabricated mounting lugs, into the bodywork's headlamp bucket, to mount the headlamp unit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=499037

These lugs, supplement the single factory-fitted lug, which is all that is required to mount British & European specification, 1968~73 VW Type 2 headlamp units, with integral trim-ring.

Refer to the following links, for clarification:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=420351

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=420350

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=420349

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=338649

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light - Fixed Reply with quote

Well, this was a long and confusing saga.

TLDR: Use the Hellas without the inner trim ring.

In summary:

In an attempt to install headlights compatible with the original 4-conductor wiring I found in my headlight buckets (1975 single cab with ME export code), I purchased a pair of "Euro" style head lights from BusDepot:

http://www.busdepot.com/hq6014

While these worked electrically,

I could not get them mounted into the headlight mounting ring. The parking light mount is positioned such that it runs right into the mounting ring. This can't be right:

Though I will say that the inner trim ring does fit:

There was no way this headlight was fitting in the mounting ring, though, and in fact I never did figure out how it was supposed to work. I gave up on these, and found the correct solution:

The Correct Solution

Hella sells these, apparently all over Europe:

They are flat on the face, and have a hole in the back to accept the mount for the parking lamp:

Note that there is no conflict with the mounting ring, as it is of a very different design. I ended up having to find the mount in Europe as well, in a later hunt. It takes a regular 4-W parking light bulb:

and

The headlight buckets (here repainted in light gray) Have the four-wire harness and three mounting rings:

The electricals hook up like in the above photo, and the headlight simply mounts to the rings:

What had me confused was how to mount the inner trim ring onto the headlight -- it simply would not go. As it turns out, after some experimentation I determined that the inner ring is simply not used -- there is no need for it since the headlight is integral with its mounting ring, and the ring mounts directly to the three tabs in the headlight bucket. Here it is with no inner ring -- just the outer trim ring:

and

Here is the result, with just the parking lights on:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light - Fixed Reply with quote

Nice work!, thanks for posting the final result.
Bummer that the first set were mis advertised, I guess if there were no other option you could notch mount ring to clear, but I like your solution more.
Regarding this:
jtauxe wrote:

Most Euro systems use a single filament signal and the only thing that lights up on the first pull of the headlight switch is the small bulbs in the headlights, no yellow or orange lights lit unless turning a corner (I don't even think they had the tiny side marker bulbs in the signals). I'm a fan of as many lights as possible for visibility, just pointing it out if you are bent on making it 100% correct.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Nice work!, thanks for posting the final result.
Bummer that the first set were mis advertised, I guess if there were no other option you could notch mount ring to clear, but I like your solution more.
Regarding this:
jtauxe wrote:

Most Euro systems use a single filament signal and the only thing that lights up on the first pull of the headlight switch is the small bulbs in the headlights, no yellow or orange lights lit unless turning a corner (I don't even think they had the tiny side marker bulbs in the signals). I'm a fan of as many lights as possible for visibility, just pointing it out if you are bent on making it 100% correct.

You are quite correct that British, European & non-North American 1973~79 VW Type 2s do NOT have twin-filament bulbs in the direction-indicator lamp unit, NOR do they have a small 4W single-filament side-marker light bulb in the same lamp unit.

There is only a single-filament 21W bulb direction-indicator lamp unit, whose purpose is solely as a flashing turn-signal.

There are NO side-marker lights or reflectors of any description

The 4W parking-light bulb is located in the headlamp unit

Nigel A. Skeet

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

Regarding the lights in the orange turn signal housing...

On my Irish 1978 double cab, the turn signal housings indeed had no side marker bulbs, nor did the truck have side markers on the body (front doors and rear fenders). The housings are different from the US ones, in that there is no place even to mount the side marker bulbs. That is consistent with what you say, Nigel.

Curiously, on this 1975 Mexican single cab, there ARE side marker lights and dual bulb lights in the turn signal housings, and the original wiring is there to support them. This is in addition to the parking light arrangement in the headlights themselves, which also has original wiring.

So, that's an interesting hybrid. I don't know what VW was thinking when they built this truck for the Puebla plant. Maybe they wanted to include more lights. Though they did not go so far as to include side markers on the body.

NASkeet wrote:
You are quite correct that British, European & non-North American 1973~79 VW Type 2s do NOT have twin-filament bulbs in the direction-indicator lamp unit, NOR do they have a small 4W single-filament side-marker light bulb in the same lamp unit.

There is only a single-filament 21W bulb direction-indicator lamp unit, whose purpose is solely as a flashing turn-signal.

I am confused by this statement Nigel. EVERY US Type 2 1973-1979 I have seen or worked on, and that is a LOT of them, has had the 4-W side marker bulbs and turn signal bulbs in the housing.

Maybe I misunderstood you.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

On my Irish 1978 double cab, the turn signal housings indeed had no side marker bulbs, nor did the truck have side markers on the body (front doors and rear fenders). The housings are different from the US ones, in that there is no place even to mount the side marker bulbs. That is consistent with what you say, Nigel.

Curiously, on this 1975 Mexican single cab, there ARE side marker lights and dual bulb lights in the turn signal housings, and the original wiring is there to support them. This is in addition to the parking light arrangement in the headlights themselves, which also has original wiring.

So, that's an interesting hybrid. I don't know what VW was thinking when they built this truck for the Puebla plant. Maybe they wanted to include more lights. Though they did not go so far as to include side markers on the body.

NASkeet wrote:

I am confused by this statement Nigel. EVERY US Type 2 1973-1979 I have seen or worked on, and that is a LOT of them, has had the 4-W side marker bulbs and turn signal bulbs in the housing.

Try reading it again putting emphasis on the red part Wink

Not sure how Mexican lighting laws work, maybe they just checked off every single option box when ordering the truck?

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
<snip>

NASkeet wrote:
<snip>

Try reading it again putting emphasis on the red part Wink

Not sure how Mexican lighting laws work, maybe they just checked off every single option box when ordering the truck?

Embarassed Funny the difference a "not" can make. Like I said, maybe I misunderstood him. Rolling Eyes My bad.

As I was told by Jones, the VW Dealer in San Antonio who acquired this pickup from the Puebla plant, VW indeed added every whistle and bell aside from the Arctic package (no aux heater, etc.) for exactly the purpose of allowing the Mexican factory the opportunity to see what could be ordered.

I expect that no actual pickup trucks ordered had all these features, but I don't know that. I will say that finding and reinstalling all these whistles and bells has at times been quite challenging.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

NASkeet wrote:

I believe you misunderstood me! Shocked

I said that NON-North American 1973~79 VW Type 2s, only have the large single-filament 21W bulb in the front direction-indicator lamp units.

North American 1973~79 VW Type 2s, have a large twin-filament 21/5W bulb
for the turn-signal & parking-light function plus the small single-filament 4W bulb for the front side-marker light function, in the front direction-indicator lamp units.

Nigel A. Skeet

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

I found a replacement LED "filament" bulb sold here in the UK that is noticeably brighter than a filament bulb for the 4 watt fitting.

As it is an LED bulb it should last longer so is more use for daylight running, or what goes for daylight many days here in the UK.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batt...-bulbs-x-2

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

I bought a set of modern HELLA H4 housings with the city driving lights and I am planning to install them in my 76. Since the city driving light is a low wattage bulb can I just add a wire to the switch with the existing park lamps, i.e. the first pull on the headlight switch, or is there a better option? I thought about adding a relay but with the low wattage demand it doesn't seem necessary but I could be wrong.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: H4 headlights with integral parking (running) light Reply with quote

Since it is just a 4-W bulb, I would expect that you could simply run a fourth wire to the headlight bucket. You will also need a ground wire from the bulb.

Note that you will no longer be using the headlight bucket "insert" for mounting. That was the weirdest part for me -- understanding that that whole mounting ring is no longer used.

Did you also get the black "parking light" mount that fits into the parabolic part of the main headlight housing?

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: