Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hauling a Thing 500 miles
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Getting ready for the Thing. Rushing to get the garage done in time. Next question. Any tips/suggestions for hauling a convertible Thing 500 miles?

I am thinking that if the weather is good, to keep the convertible top down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw I will most definitely post photos of the trip.

Thanks again for all your future comments ! Alex from Ohio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

I towed one from Ventura ca to Quartzsite Az with nothing but a tow bar- and the hard top on. They tow like a Baja.- no worries- in neutral, brake off. good to go.

Past tradition was to tow boats with the canvas up. Works good till something starts flapping.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

tow bar worked great for me when I bought my Thing. Top down also. Best of luck for a safe trip!
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
I towed one from Ventura ca to Quartzsite Az with nothing but a tow bar- no worries- in neutral, brake off. good to go.

you forgot ignition in the unlocked position

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

I towed one from Ft. Riley, KS to NYC, NY (for shipment to Germany), then picked it up in Bremerhaven Germany and towed it to Mannheim Germany with a towbar. No problem at all, even with a blow-out at speed on the left rear tire on the interstate.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

If your going to towbar or use a trailer,

My thing with the tow-bar and "top up" was good for 70--75 maybe 80mph, coming down the West Va mountains on a return trip once we hit some hi speeds but my truck was buffeting the wind on it, but no problems
and it was a short distance at that speed definitely not the whole trip!

I wouldn't go any faster, I've seen posts and stories of top giving way and ripping off. One I remember of a thing with a nice blue convertible top that got ripped to shreds by the flat bed tow truck driver.

One suggestion was if on a tow truck/flatbed or trailer to haul it backwards with the front window facing the rear so the wind wouldn't cause that.

But if using a tow bar, I've done a few Kubeltreffen trips most in the 1000 to 2000 mile round trip with a 95' F150 4x4 and a tow bar with an extension on the trailer hitch so I could do full hard right or left turns without the truck bumper hitting the THING.
I also had a big mud flap I made so rocks wouldn't eat the front end of the THING and I used cardboard & blue tape on the windshield and other surfaces to minimize rock chips.

Battery disconnected
Key ON
Steering wheel free to turn
Had a bungee on the steering wheel to the seat to minimize wobble,
not super tight.
Allowed me to back up a tad bit, BUT backing up can bend the tow bar so heed the warning (don't back up unless it's a dire emergency)
I tried to plan on every turn or gas station entry to be able to get in and out without backing up.
Transmission in neutral - I even removed my "hurst" shifter so the weight wouldn't cause it to go in gear on a bump. (checked it at every stop too).
Hooked up some temp trailer lights
Got a "Thing in tow" sign.
Safety chains on the THING and the truck in a X pattern, long enough to aid in turns but not drag the ground (bungees or tie wraps can support if too long).

I've got a post on setting this up (would need to search for it) but I posted up some photos on my first time.

Good luck and hope this helps. if I can find the post i'll add it.

T

PS: found my original link:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. With locked up brakes, and dry rot tires this Thing will be definitely be towed on a trailer.

Thanks Alex from Ohio
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

RENTEDCOW: Did you get it home?

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hauling a Thing 500 miles Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684415

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: