Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

troubleshooting auxiliary battery
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: troubleshooting auxiliary battery Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out why the interior lighting in my new-to-me '92 Multivan won't work. (The interior light closest to the front of the van does work, but I think that one is powered by the main battery.) I tested the auxiliary battery yesterday with a multimeter set to 20V DC. I got a reading of 13.13/13.14 before starting the engine, then started the engine and tested again and got a reading of 12.57/12.58. After turning the engine off and testing again, it appeared that the reading was steadily going back up toward the original 13.13/13.14 reading.

So, I'm trying to figure out what all of the above is telling me. It sounds as though because the reading didn't increase when I started the engine, that means that the auxiliary battery may not be getting juice from the alternator, so that may be the first problem that needs to be fixed here--is that right? If that is the case, does that mean the problem is likely in the connection between the alternator and the auxiliary battery, or could it be that the relay is bad? If the latter, how do I narrow it down to the relay? Sorry for what are very elementary questions for many of you!

Thanks,

Doug
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: troubleshooting auxiliary battery Reply with quote

I believe there's a fuse in the panel under the front of the driver seat that covers those rear aux. lights and cigarette lighter ports.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
evinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: troubleshooting auxiliary battery Reply with quote

Thanks! Turned out that's all it was . . . I tried to read up on auxiliary battery issues on the forum in an attempt to avoid asking a question that's already been answered before, looks like that resulted in me overthinking it.
Scneilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: troubleshooting auxiliary battery Reply with quote

Do the lights in the back of a 2003 Eurovan run off the auxiliary battery or the main battery? I read one post that said just the cooler and 12 volts do, another said the cabin lights do also. Thank you
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: troubleshooting auxiliary battery Reply with quote

If you're referring to the two florescent lights in the back, then yes, they're connected to the aux. battery while the van isn't running.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: