Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bolt On Sand Seal
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Bolt On Sand Seal Reply with quote

I just finished installing an EMPI pulley and sand seal kit; instructions said to use #9118 Crank Bolt and Washer. I bought that too, but it stuck out about 1/16" of an inch after torquing it down. I reused the bolt that was on the engine, and it looks much better now. 30mm Kobalt socket was $6 at Lowes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt On Sand Seal Reply with quote

You want to have 5 threads or so screwed into the end of the crankshaft. Maybe add an additional grade 8 washer under the head of the longer bolt, and/or grind a thread or two off of it.
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt On Sand Seal Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings. I didn't count how many threads are seated - if it's not enough - I'll "Stack" both washers on the longer bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt On Sand Seal Reply with quote

limon wrote:
Thanks Wildthings. I didn't count how many threads are seated - if it's not enough - I'll "Stack" both washers on the longer bolt.

You just want to be 100% sure that the bolt doesn't bottom out in the hole. It also looks like one of your washers is concave, if you use two washer think carefully about which one to use where.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bolt On Sand Seal Reply with quote

You need that longer bolt due to the shim that goes between the crank and pulley. Without it the pulley with bottom out on the seal and destroy itself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: