Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

912E - 300k miles. Thoughts?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

considering a 912e, 300,000 miles. Engine rebuilt 30k ago. My math shows thats about 7900 miles per year, which is still on the high side.

all thoughts appreciated, these car should be driven, but, understanding a 1year run, with spendy and hard to find parts, is 300k simply too many miles on a chassis?

paint is well done, but the color has been changed from original yellow to guards red. Waiting on seller to confirm matching numbers engine to chassis.

thanks for any thoughts...this is an issue which has likely been raised before

P
1976 914
1968 Ghia
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Price is everything determinant in this deal. Are you buying to flip later? Might be hard to accomplish, but if you are buying to improve and enjoy it might make sense.
Your goals for this car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

phughes wrote:
considering a 912e, 300,000 miles. Engine rebuilt 30k ago. My math shows thats about 7900 miles per year, which is still on the high side.

all thoughts appreciated, these car should be driven, but, understanding a 1year run, with spendy and hard to find parts, is 300k simply too many miles on a chassis?

paint is well done, but the color has been changed from original yellow to guards red. Waiting on seller to confirm matching numbers engine to chassis.

thanks for any thoughts...this is an issue which has likely been raised before

P

Why is 7900 miles per year high? Do you mean excessive?

That is nothing. Thats 151 miles per week or 21 miles per day.

Thats the kind of daily or weekly mileage you want.

Cars that sit around and do crawling short runs to wow the neighbors while just on your way to get a pack of smokes two miles away...with long gaps of sitting still in between.....are a mess. Leaks everywhere...never get full warmed up...condensation in oil and gear oil.

Either a commuter to work...or long trips on the weekends. You want a car driven moderate miles regularly....but maybe garaged to prevent UV and weathering damage. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

My 912e has 245,000 miles and is running great. It was owned by a mechanic before me, and was well maintained. I think that would be a deciding factor - i.e. whether it was driven and cared for versus driven into the ground/abused.

The high mileage should have some bearing on the price though, as all parts do wear out at some point.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

waxhead wrote:
My 912e has 245,000 miles and is running great. It was owned by a mechanic before me, and was well maintained. I think that would be a deciding factor - i.e. whether it was driven and cared for versus driven into the ground/abused.

The high mileage should have some bearing on the price though, as all parts do wear out at some point.

Very true...but its also worth it to remember that cars that are NOT driven and garaged....are junk quite quickly in totally different ways.

Storing a car and not driving it is one of the worst things you can do.

I would sooner buy a car that is well maintained and carefully driven with normal wear an tear...at 300,000 miles.....than a garaged hanger queen that has 75k miles on it but has been sitting on blocks for a decade.

On that latter example....virtually every shock, all the brake parts and all the engine an trans seals will be shot. Ray
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Don't worry so much about the mileage, RUST is your worst enemy, look carefully for it.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Don't worry so much about the mileage, RUST is your worst enemy, look carefully for it.

Yes, rust can be an issue. 1976 was the first year Porsche galvanized the bodies of their cars, and the early production cars didn't get as extensive galvanizing as the mid- and late-production cars.
SegaGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Hey, so did you pick it up? Very Happy

My E has about 300K on it right now and is more solid than many cars that I have seen with a fraction of the miles. As was mentioned, rust is the true enemy to look out for along with structural integrity and completeness.

I think the main thing to remember is that there is no magic number formula. Condition varies per car and situation. I would say even a low mileage "garage queen" isn't a bad thing either so long as it was stored/cared for properly.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

SegaGT wrote:
Hey, so did you pick it up? Very Happy

My E has about 300K on it right now and is more solid than many cars that I have seen with a fraction of the miles. As was mentioned, rust is the true enemy to look out for along with structural integrity and completeness.

I think the main thing to remember is that there is no magic number formula. Condition varies per car and situation. I would say even a low mileage "garage queen" isn't a bad thing either so long as it was stored/cared for properly.

Yes...the nice thing about a "garage queen" is that ...rust wise....if its stored well....it can be the best option.

But...the garage queen cars..especially those that were parked mechanically complete with running issues....and then not run at all for years....while they make great project cars for the mechanically inclined (because they may be rust free)....its worth it to keep in mind that sitting still virtually guarantees that the entire engine and suspension needs to be stripped, disassembled and refurbished...BEFORE driving it any huge number of miles if you want to prevent destroying parts you cannot replace.

Time and lack of movement trashes seals as sure as high miles does. Ray
steve maimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 912E - 300k miles. Thoughts? Reply with quote

i have owned nine 912e's and the biggest thing to look for is rust. check the vin.. below 500 most are non galvanized bodys. porsche used up the non galvanized 911 bodys first. like they did with many parts of the 912e. gas filler necks and caps, steering wheels, rims, suspension parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: