Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine....
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
800screws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

I just installed a serpentine belt kit....actually did it a week ago, but took it out for a test ride today....I have a little oil leak behind the pulley now, it was dry when it sat this past week...
it had a sand seal with the old pulley....did I unleash a can of worms by removing the sand seal? and was I supposed to installed another seal when I installed the lower serpentine pulley?
any thoughts or ideas?
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Sand seal cut case needs a sand seal pulley.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
800screws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Wow. That puts a damper on things
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

But was the case cut larger for the sand seal, or was it a small adapter glued in to hold a seal? My last two engines had the latter. Then there is the spiral fluted vs smoothed od on the pulley snout going into the case. Pics?
800screws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

I'll get some pics. But what I took out was this seal and piece of aluminum. It was pressed directly into the case. It didn't have that bolt on holder....does that mean it's machined, or no? And should I get the bolt on holder? It was a pain to get the aluminum piece out
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

I believe your only option is to put another proper sand seal (not bolt on) back in. Then you would need the proper sand seal pulley.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
800screws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

ok.........that's the plan im gonna go with. thanks
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

This is an adaptor sand seal made to be installled in a Non-Machined case.. The pully was also machined to accept the sand seal. If you pulled this out then your case Has Not been machined for a direct installed sand seal which is why they used an adaptor. All you have to do is put in a stock style new pulley with the grooves cut into it and you will have solved the issue Because the case was not cut and an adaptor was used. If you look at the pully you pulled out the seal area would have been machined smooth with no spiral grooves cut into it like a stock pulley. Just get a new pulley and it will work because the case is still stock un-machined. Or....you can buy a new seal install it back in the aluminum adaptor use sealant on the adaptor part and install it back in the case, then use the pulley you took out. BUT you better look at that pulley as more than likely it has a groove cut into it from the old seal as a lot of the cheaper ones get damaged. In your case if you don't care about using a sand seal just put a new stock pully back in not using the adaptor it will be fine.

Last edited by oldschool5er on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

This is what I remember the machined-in seal to look like:

The image you posted above would be the bolt-in if I'm not mistaken.
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Also might want to note that the bolt-in setup uses a longer-than-standard bolt (and if reused would not necessarily secure a stock or similar width pulley and seal into place).
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Third is correct the pulley bolt is longer. So if you go back stock you will need a stock lenght bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
800screws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

if its not machined.......then why the heck did the serpentine pulley weep oil! are u supposed to put sealant when installing it?

do u use the spacer that u put in first with the sand seal kit, with the serpentine pulley? I took it out when I put the serpentine pulley on.......

oh man.....so confused! lol......

id just use the serpentine kit if I knew how to stop the weeping......

I planned on just reinstalling a new bolt in sand seal......but id rather use the kit I just got if I could stop the oil
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Well, you can often just look a VW like a Harley.

It'll stop leaking eventually (when the oil runs out).

Wink
800screws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Well. I'm giving it another shot. I heated up the pulley and greased the crank. Gonna see if that helps. If not. I'll just go back to the sand seals
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Is the new pulley smooth or spiral grooved on the outside of the snout?
800screws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Is the new pulley smooth or spiral grooved on the outside of the snout?

spiral grooved on the outside

well....I reinstalled it using heat and grease.......ran it alittle in the garage, not on the street yet, and its dry....so we'll see....
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

I never understood this, so maybe someone here can help me out. What is the point of the serpentine belt conversion? I have never seen a fault with the stock v-belt... It's not like you need the extra grip to run 30hp worth of accessories...and nothing requiring a belt that can be doubled back on a tight radious over itself and around idler pulleys, etc... so, why?

Confused

Just curios.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
I never understood this, so maybe someone here can help me out. What is the point of the serpentine belt conversion? I have never seen a fault with the stock v-belt... so I'm just curious, why?

Confused

It looks KEWL.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Sorry I edited my post on ya Glenn. Is that really the only reason? $150 for cool looking?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: little leak behind lower pulley after installing serpentine.... Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Sorry I edited my post on ya Glenn. Is that really the only reason? $150 for cool looking?

Remember the 90s with billet?

A serp belt servers a purpose on a engine with multiple accessories to drive such as power steering pump, alternator and AC compressor. It allows one belt rather than 3.

On a AC VW with only one thing to drive... it serves no purpose. The standard V belt has worked for the past 80 yeas on VWs.

What i like, is a V belt with slip slightly with a high horse power engine. With a serp belt there is no slip and you can easily over accelerate the fan... BOOM. I've seen a number of exploded fans on engines with serp belts.. even welded fans.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: