Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Dog House Venturi Ring?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Guys,
I'm just finding out about this. Does anyone here use a venturi ring on their fan shroud? Awesome Powder Coat sells them for $50 so they're pretty cheap and they claim lower oil temps and CHT.

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Venturi_Ring.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

I'm running one, oil temps do seem lower, but I didn't do any scientific testing to confirm that and I also dealt with a few other things at the time of install that could have played a part.
But why not?, can't make it worse. VW thought the FI beetle needed one, and the locations where it mounts are pressed into all DH shrouds so it must have been something they were toying with for a long time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

How did you attach it to the shroud Mark?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Pop rivets.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

I have a pretty nifty nutsert tool and a good supply of hardware. Do you think that would work or is it overkill?

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

I can't comment on whether it allows more cooling air other than I definitely saw a HP and RPM increase running an air horn when racing than just open air. The increase was not from lengthening the induction system but rather more air being drawn in. I would think it would reduce turbulence by allowing the air to turn 90 degrees better.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I have a pretty nifty nutsert tool and a good supply of hardware. Do you think that would work or is it overkill?

[pic]

If you have it why not?, the holes on the aftermarket one look big, I drilled one off of an OG bug shroud and the tabs ended up with smaller holes, 1/8" SS pop rivets were on hand and fast, you can't see it once it's in place anyways.

I guess it works by smoothing out the airflow so more gets into the fan, I'll leave the fluid dynamics to the scientists. It seems to work for me, I haven't experienced any rediculous oil temperature moments on the highway since it went on, even with all the vent windows open.

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Well I just ordered one. $65 delivered. Hopefully the mounting tabs will be strong enough.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Most of the tabs lay against the shroud, there's no movement once it's installed. They seem much longer than needed, likely to reach to a place where the spot welder could get at them.

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

File:Velocity stack detail.gif

This a good read
Technical Page - Cooling Fan
http://www.offroadvw.net/tech/wes/fan.html
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

I have one on my Thing engine, can't say if it improves matters or not, it just sounded like a good idea. I did later go out and buy a shroud for a later Beetle which had a factory ring, but have never needed to pull the engine since and thus the later shroud is still awaiting its day.

The one advantage I have heard for the ring is that it is much harder for the intake to be completely block by a piece of paper or plastic. Hopefully this is something I will never get to test.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

I did flow testing on one in my 71. it gained 2 kg/h at idle

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

I got this with a bunch of parts, the venturi ring came along with it and believed to have been like this from the factory.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Hard on! Laughing Nice score.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
...The one advantage I have heard for the ring is that it is much harder for the intake to be completely block by a piece of paper or plastic. Hopefully this is something I will never get to test.

When I was 13 my older brother thought it would be super convenient to keep a stack of bi-fold paper towels in the engine compartment of our '69 bus.

That was not a good idea after all.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Here's an installation video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKfcrDv8vNc

Someone needs to make a screen for the DH shroud
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
...The one advantage I have heard for the ring is that it is much harder for the intake to be completely block by a piece of paper or plastic. Hopefully this is something I will never get to test.

When I was 13 my older brother thought it would be super convenient to keep a stack of bi-fold paper towels in the engine compartment of our '69 bus.

That was not a good idea after all.

cool, add rain and you have a Paper Mache' generating machine.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

When you drill the hole toward the oil cooler, put a collar stop on the drill bit or you may poke a hole in your oil cooler.
Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
When you drill the hole toward the oil cooler, put a collar stop on the drill bit or you may poke a hole in your oil cooler.
Tcash

Yeah,
I noticed the guy in the video drove his bit in so far that it might hit a cooler if it was there. When I do mine, the tin will be swapped from my current long block to my new 1800. Sometime next month or so.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Dog House Venturi Ring? Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
I got this with a bunch of parts, the venturi ring came along with it and believed to have been like this from the factory.

fuel injected beetle fan shroud. yes, they came like that from the factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: