Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How did everyone get into vw's ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I was in my formative years during the Beetles' heyday - the 1960s. We saw them everywhere. On trips in the car any longer than to the grocery store, my mom, brother and I would play 'count the Volkswagens.' It was tough to catch every one of them.

Then when I was 8 years old, 'The Love Bug' (1968) came out. At that point I was completely hooked.

When I was old enough to stray an appreciable distance from home, probably around 1971, I would take my bike the approximate mile down to the Volkswagen dealer on Utica Ave in Brooklyn and ogle at the Beetles and Karmann Ghias. One of the salesmen always recognized me and said hi, and I was thrilled when he let me take brochures, as it was pretty obvious that at 11 years old I wasn't there to buy a car.

When I was 15 my Dad bought a '71 Beetle. That was the car I learned to drive a MT in.

I figured I would get a Beetle in a year or so, but our neighbor across the street was selling a '71 Corolla in great condition, so I wound up with that. After that came a succession of cars that included 'almost everything' but a Volkswagen.

I never did get a Beetle, until just a few months ago. Yeah, it's a long stretch, but better late than never.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

Back in about '67 Dad was looking for a power plant to use to upgrade a horse driven potato digger. At the time we grew and sold about 2 acres of spuds to get some extra pocket cash and keep us kids out of trouble.

A co-worker of his put him on to a relative that had an old Bug he would part with. So 20 miles out in the country and $25 poorer we were the proud owners of a badly beat up '58 Bug with 3 flat tires parked half submerged in a slough! Well we drug that thing home(literally!)and us 2 boys and Dad tore it apart, emptied the water out of the engine and transaxle and the clean up began. By fall we had a 36 hp VW powered potato digger that would chuck spuds 50 feet across the garden at a fast idle in 3rd gear! And did it ever sound cool with no exhaust system!!

That was the beginning of a 40+ year love affair with VWs for me.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I was a teenager once decades ago, and I needed a car. I knew nothing about cars, heard VWs were economical and straightforward to work on.

Let's just say that learning about VWs and then having the confidence to take on other car and home repairs has saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last 4 decades.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ekrossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I was always fascinated by the whole contrary nature of the car. Small, compact, rear engine, no radiator. Everything I was always told a car was not supposed to be. AND IT WORKED! And very well at that. Then my father got a used '65 beetle in the early '70s, which he proceeded to run holy hell out of for several years. That was the first car I learned how to tune up and service. It would be many years later that I decided to take the plunge myself. I'm on my third and don't ever want to let this one go. It's restoration is my personal goal.
Team WorldTour Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

My family has always had a VW. In 1990, I was 16, and I learned to drive in the family van, a 1985 T3.
On California's Central Coast.
After the Earthquake.
The amount of confidence I got from this experience has served me well me whole life.
The kind of confidence that allows you to jump into the cab of a PLS Hemmett, and drive it through Downtown Alexandria (NOT Virginia, but EGYPT!) without a second thought.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I grew up in GM household. My Dad had a 72 Nova SS he bought new. He also loved his Buicks and Oldsmobiles. One day when I was about 14, this older kid in the neighborhood who was also into BMX had a 71 Superbeetle and I rode by one day while he was working on it. I thought I was pretty neat, with the motor all compact. A couple of days later I was at my local library an I ran across the 1970 version of How to Hot Rod your Volkswagen Engine. And my mind was blown!!!
I checked the book out and never returned it, payed the $3 fine, this was 1992. I couldn't believe that a beetle was running 10,11,12 second quarter mile in 1970! The whole idea of turning nothing into something hooked me! And I've been into them ever since.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: