Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BillJohnson
Samba Member


Joined: October 18, 2006
Posts: 240
Location: Lake Forest Park, WA
BillJohnson is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Muffler is shot and apparently, so is my exhaust manifold. Recommendations for best place to order online?
_________________
1979 Type 2 w/ Weber 40 IDF carbs
2003 Jetta TDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 35568

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

'79 Federal and '79 California engines have different exhaust systems so you need to know which system you need parts for. The heater boxes do double duty as exhaust manifolds on these engines, are heater boxes what you need?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member


Joined: August 07, 2008
Posts: 3955
Location: southwest Arizona
williamM is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
'79 Federal and '79 California engines have different exhaust systems so you need to know which system you need parts for. The heater boxes do double duty as exhaust manifolds on these engines, are heater boxes what you need?



[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
some days I get up and just sit and think. Some days I just sit.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member


Joined: March 25, 2012
Posts: 1370
Location: Atlanta, GA
aerosurfer is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

You have the 79 Cali system on your bus. do you need or want the Catalytic cinverter repaced and do yoy still have the fuel injection on it? if you need the cali exhaust your options are limited

if the pax side is still usable reuse that one. but from the motor, you need federal 79' only Square port heater boxes. then any muffler setup for a 72-74 system will work for you
_________________
Rebuild your own FI Harness..My Harness

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member


Joined: March 28, 2004
Posts: 3431
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Alan Brase is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

California 1979 -1983 uses a separate manifold on the left side. It is all mild steel and should be easy enough to repair. If it is cracking, I would worry that some supports are missing. Typically what happens over the years. Of course, finding one at swap meet prices in perfect shape would be good also.
Al
_________________
Al Brase
Projects: 67 sunroof bug, 67 Porsche 912 Targa, 70 Westy
Dec 1955 Single Cab pickup WANT 15" BUS RIMS dated 8/55, thru 12/55
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile, 1958 23 window to Floyd
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 35568

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Your F pipe has a cover on it with an obvious hole in it, this on its own is no big deal. If there is a hole in the pipe itself then the F pipe needs to be repaired or replaced.

As others mentioned going to a '79 federal heat exchange to replace the F pipe and all the associated piece is a good idea. The '79 heat exchanger is a one year only item so it can take some looking to find one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member


Joined: March 28, 2004
Posts: 3431
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Alan Brase is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your F pipe has a cover on it with an obvious hole in it, this on its own is no big deal. If there is a hole in the pipe itself then the F pipe needs to be repaired or replaced.

As others mentioned going to a '79 federal heat exchange to replace the F pipe and all the associated piece is a good idea. The '79 heat exchanger is a one year only item so it can take some looking to find one.

HUH?
How do you replace the one part? The systems are completely different. On the CA system the exhaust goes thru the right exchanger, joins the exhaust directly from the left manifold, then goes thru the CAT, the ALL goes thru the left heat exchanger and to the muffler. Why?
I have no idea, but I bet it puts out a LOT more heat.
Further, if you have the CA system you have a oxy sensor and the wiring harness is quite a bit different as well. they do not have a resistance unit on the firewall and the double relay is different.
Al
_________________
Al Brase
Projects: 67 sunroof bug, 67 Porsche 912 Targa, 70 Westy
Dec 1955 Single Cab pickup WANT 15" BUS RIMS dated 8/55, thru 12/55
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile, 1958 23 window to Floyd
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 35568

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Your F pipe has a cover on it with an obvious hole in it, this on its own is no big deal. If there is a hole in the pipe itself then the F pipe needs to be repaired or replaced.

As others mentioned going to a '79 federal heat exchange to replace the F pipe and all the associated piece is a good idea. The '79 federal heat exchanger is a one year only item so it can take some looking to find one.

HUH?
How do you replace the one part? The systems are completely different. On the CA system the exhaust goes thru the right exchanger, joins the exhaust directly from the left manifold, then goes thru the CAT, the ALL goes thru the left heat exchanger and to the muffler. Why?
I have no idea, but I bet it puts out a LOT more heat.
Further, if you have the CA system you have a oxy sensor and the wiring harness is quite a bit different as well. they do not have a resistance unit on the firewall and the double relay is different.
Al


Well for starters he doesn't have FI any more so doesn't need the O2 sensor and would likely be better off without the cat as his signature says:

Quote:
1979 Type 2 w/ Weber 40 IDF carbs


so if he can find a left side federal heat exchanger he can eliminate most of the California only exhaust and use a '72-74 muffler.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member


Joined: August 07, 2008
Posts: 3955
Location: southwest Arizona
williamM is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Your F pipe has a cover on it with an obvious hole in it, this on its own is no big deal. If there is a hole in the pipe itself then the F pipe needs to be repaired or replaced.

As others mentioned going to a '79 federal heat exchange to replace the F pipe and all the associated piece is a good idea. The '79 federal heat exchanger is a one year only item so it can take some looking to find one.

HUH?
How do you replace the one part? The systems are completely different. On the CA system the exhaust goes thru the right exchanger, joins the exhaust directly from the left manifold, then goes thru the CAT, the ALL goes thru the left heat exchanger and to the muffler. Why?
I have no idea, but I bet it puts out a LOT more heat.
Further, if you have the CA system you have a oxy sensor and the wiring harness is quite a bit different as well. they do not have a resistance unit on the firewall and the double relay is different.
Al


Well for starters he doesn't have FI any more so doesn't need the O2 sensor and would likely be better off without the cat as his signature says:

Quote:
1979 Type 2 w/ Weber 40 IDF carbs


so if he can find a left side federal heat exchanger he can eliminate most of the California only exhaust and use a '72-74 muffler.
[img]


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
_________________
some days I get up and just sit and think. Some days I just sit.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 30, 2007
Posts: 26546
Location: Nor Cal
SGKent is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

79 California
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


79 Federal also has working EGR
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
machine work recommendations: http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/machinework.pdf

Pointers on rebuilding an engine:
http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/rebuilding_a_vw_engine.pdf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevineo
Samba Member


Joined: May 09, 2011
Posts: 48

kevineo is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Any negative ramifications blocking the EGR flow on a federal 2.0 FI?
Had a hole in pipe aft of view "g" small s pipe.....

Any word yet on Emico catalytics?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillJohnson
Samba Member


Joined: October 18, 2006
Posts: 240
Location: Lake Forest Park, WA
BillJohnson is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
You have the 79 Cali system on your bus. do you need or want the Catalytic converter replaced and do you still have the fuel injection on it? if you need the cali exhaust your options are limited

if the pax side is still usable reuse that one. but from the motor, you need federal 79' only Square port heater boxes. then any muffler setup for a 72-74 system will work for you


How do you know I have a 79 Cali system? Don't think I have a catalytic converter. The muffler guy showed me where the exhaust pipe bolts into the (heater box?) on the driver's side. This pipe needs to be replaced. I don't think I need to replace the heater boxes.

Fuel injection was ripped out before I bought the bus. I had Dellortos until they developed the dreaded Dellorto drip. Had them both repaired and rebuilt by Dave Hogarth of Blackline Racing but had to buy Webers in the interim. (Anyone interested in 44 IDF Dellortos?)

So, why am I looking for a 72-74 muffler exhaust pipe for a 79 bus? Just wondering?
_________________
1979 Type 2 w/ Weber 40 IDF carbs
2003 Jetta TDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 35568

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

BillJohnson wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:
You have the 79 Cali system on your bus. do you need or want the Catalytic converter replaced and do you still have the fuel injection on it? if you need the cali exhaust your options are limited

if the pax side is still usable reuse that one. but from the motor, you need federal 79' only Square port heater boxes. then any muffler setup for a 72-74 system will work for you


How do you know I have a 79 Cali system? Don't think I have a catalytic converter. The muffler guy showed me where the exhaust pipe bolts into the (heater box?) on the driver's side. This pipe needs to be replaced. I don't think I need to replace the heater boxes.

Fuel injection was ripped out before I bought the bus. I had Dellortos until they developed the dreaded Dellorto drip. Had them both repaired and rebuilt by Dave Hogarth of Blackline Racing but had to buy Webers in the interim. (Anyone interested in 44 IDF Dellortos?)

So, why am I looking for a 72-74 muffler exhaust pipe for a 79 bus? Just wondering?


Look at the pictures SG Kent posted, you can see the difference in the driver's side side exhaust.

Once you have a driver's side '79 Federal heat exchanger to go with the passenger side heat exchanger you already have you can then run the much simpler, cheaper, and more available 72-74 style exhaust.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 30, 2007
Posts: 26546
Location: Nor Cal
SGKent is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Quote:
Once you have a driver's side '79 Federal heat exchanger to go with the passenger side heat exchanger you already have you can then run the much simpler, cheaper, and more available 72-74 style exhaust.


if you are in a non-smog state and plan on selling it in a non-smog state Mike's suggestion is the easiest solution. A double flange European style muffler can be used with this.

All this said - VW air cooled exhaust systems lasted about like other cars of their day - 40,000 to 60,000 miles. If you are younger that 50 years old you probably are accustomed to car exhausts that last near the life of the car because many of the components are stainless etc. Whatever you buy will not give you a trouble free existence unless you step up to a $1000 - $2000 stainless system without heater boxes.
_________________
machine work recommendations: http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/machinework.pdf

Pointers on rebuilding an engine:
http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/rebuilding_a_vw_engine.pdf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 30, 2007
Posts: 26546
Location: Nor Cal
SGKent is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

duplicate
_________________
machine work recommendations: http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/machinework.pdf

Pointers on rebuilding an engine:
http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/rebuilding_a_vw_engine.pdf


Last edited by SGKent on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 35568

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Once you have a driver's side '79 Federal heat exchanger to go with the passenger side heat exchanger you already have you can then run the much simpler, cheaper, and more available 72-74 style exhaust.


if you are in a non-smog state and plan on selling it in a non-smog state Mike's suggestion is the easiest solution. A double flange European style muffler can be used with this.

All this said - VW air cooled exhaust systems lasted about like other cars of their day - 40,000 to 60,000 miles. If you are younger than 50 years old you probably are accustomed to car exhausts that last near the life of the car because many of the components are stainless etc. Whatever you buy will not give you a trouble free existence unless you step up to a $1000 - $2000 stainless system without heater boxes.


I have a factory stainless 72-74 exhaust on my 1800. Cost me all of $100 on eBay. Couldn't believe no one else bid against me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member


Joined: March 25, 2012
Posts: 1370
Location: Atlanta, GA
aerosurfer is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

BillJohnson wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:
You have the 79 Cali system on your bus. do you need or want the Catalytic converter replaced and do you still have the fuel injection on it? if you need the cali exhaust your options are limited

if the pax side is still usable reuse that one. but from the motor, you need federal 79' only Square port heater boxes. then any muffler setup for a 72-74 system will work for you


How do you know I have a 79 Cali system? Don't think I have a catalytic converter. The muffler guy showed me where the exhaust pipe bolts into the (heater box?) on the driver's side. This pipe needs to be replaced. I don't think I need to replace the heater boxes.

Fuel injection was ripped out before I bought the bus. I had Dellortos until they developed the dreaded Dellorto drip. Had them both repaired and rebuilt by Dave Hogarth of Blackline Racing but had to buy Webers in the interim. (Anyone interested in 44 IDF Dellortos?)

So, why am I looking for a 72-74 muffler exhaust pipe for a 79 bus? Just wondering?


i guess we dont know what you have. the pictures in this thread are if the Cali system. post up some pictures then we can help better for you
_________________
Rebuild your own FI Harness..My Harness

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member


Joined: August 14, 2013
Posts: 869
Location: New Brunswick,Canada
lil-jinx is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

You could use a 74 system with heat exchangers and muffler ,you would have to weld on ends to fit your heads.
_________________
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620186
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668799
1974 Bay Westfalia. she likes to be called Ethel.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillJohnson
Samba Member


Joined: October 18, 2006
Posts: 240
Location: Lake Forest Park, WA
BillJohnson is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

Definitely seem to have a driver's side heater box. The pipe (is it called the "crossover pipe?") that is attached to the driver's side heater box (and also the pas side heater box) is the pipe he claims is too rusty to use. You can see that the muffler on here is not a standard VW muffler and it looks like they had to weld the crossover pipe to it.




Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
1979 Type 2 w/ Weber 40 IDF carbs
2003 Jetta TDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2378
Location: Eureka, CA
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold recommendations for '79 bus? Reply with quote

You have the easiest setup to need parts for already, good for you. That's a federal 79 btw.

You can go with the Vintage Speed stainless unit, the EMPI stainless unit or the regular EMPI unit easy.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-3771
This is probably the one I would try next if mine was due. I have the Vintage Speed unit now and it's nice, but I think the engine does prefer a proper collector to some degree. The EMPI stainless won't last as long as the Vintage Speed unit im sure, because EMPI, but it'll last a hell of a lot longer than the standard EMPI unit.

Whatever you do - just don't get those god awful dual exhaust EMPI units and you'll be fine ..
_________________
1979 CA Transporter

Join the IAC Facebook group here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB