Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4) Reply with quote

I just ordered and received the kit of all four German Mud Flaps from Bus Depot. They don't ship them with any instructions. I'm sure I can figure this out, it not being rocket science, but would also love to know if anyone has installed these and/or posted on this before or can share any "gotchas" that they encountered. I did order the recommended grommets from BusDepot on a separate SKU.
Hoping there is someone out there who has been through this!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance for your help!
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
• Vintage Air in-dash A/C
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4) Reply with quote

Yes, I've been through this. You will have to drill holes in the body for the bolts, but only two per flap. If you hold the brackets up to the frame, you will see the proper holes line up.

Oh, and NONE of this special Domestic Market add-ons come with instructions. It's assumed you either have experience with, or are replacing the originals, thus require no help.

If you need it, I can take some photos of my setup, and you can see how I've done them....

Cheers!
Nico
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4) Reply with quote

I hope these help:

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4) Reply with quote

michaeltag wrote:
I just ordered and received the kit of all four German Mud Flaps from Bus Depot. They don't ship them with any instructions. I'm sure I can figure this out, it not being rocket science, but would also love to know if anyone has installed these and/or posted on this before or can share any "gotchas" that they encountered. I did order the recommended grommets from BusDepot on a separate SKU.
Hoping there is someone out there who has been through this!

Last January I steeled myself with several beers and drilled the holes to install a passenger mudflap on our Westy. Photodocumented the nerve racking procedure in this post - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671687&highlight=

Indeed wasn't rocket science but did find out that blue painters tape will pull 25 year old clear coat right off! Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4) Reply with quote

Thank you! Indeed, those pictures do help a lot! So, you've answered some of my questions. I did find my fasteners. There are some "studs" supplied that have machine thread on one end and what is wood/sheet metal or in this case RUBBER thread on the other end. There are currently no holes on the inside edge of my upper half of my new mud flaps that will press up against the body. So, I am assuming I have to drill a pilot hole and then screw the stud into the rubber. Am I assuming correctly?
Ahh, just went to your link ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671687&highlight=
That answers the rest of my questions! Thank you again!
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4) Reply with quote

My German mud flap kit from Bus Depot did NOT include pins/dowels like the ones shown in this picture originally uploaded by Alakaberry:

• Big Shot Shifter
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installation of German Mud Flaps (set of 4) Reply with quote

michaeltag wrote:
My German mud flap kit from Bus Depot did NOT include pins/dowels like the ones shown in this picture originally uploaded by Alakaberry:

The "dowels" were either 1/4" or 5/16" x 1-1/2" or 2" (sorry, can't remember size) "hanger bolts", pointy threaded on one end for screwing into rubber and threaded on the other - most all hardware stores will have that. The grey grommets for holding it into the vehicle might be a tad harder to source, but there are options.

Or this Van-Cafe kit - http://www.van-cafe.com/page_376_167/mudflap-hardware-kit - has them, just have to match up "hanger bolts" to grommets. This is where I got my mudflap. They are super fast on deliveries, and I confess, they have made me a cookie addict Smile

Good luck, Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: