Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleODude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

Ive read though the threads regarding vacuum lines and Im a little unclear on what size hose to buy at my FLAP, I plan on starting the process today of replacing them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need sone 5/16 hose for some of the fuel lines but what other size hose should I buy?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

Take samples with you if you can. Much of the vacuum lines on my 1977 and 1978 buses was actually small hard vinyl tube, with rubber vacuum line sleeves. Not sure if you have any of that? It's kind of like refrigerator ice maker supply tubing.

FWIW, there is a LOT of information on what type of fuel line to buy. Go with ethanol rated fuel injection line. Gates has a good quality, but I don't have that info with me now. The printing on the line is green. O'Reilly's sells it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DoubleODude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Take samples with you if you can. Much of the vacuum lines on my 1977 and 1978 buses was actually small hard vinyl tube, with rubber vacuum line sleeves. Not sure if you have any of that? It's kind of like refrigerator ice maker supply tubing.

FWIW, there is a LOT of information on what type of fuel line to buy. Go with ethanol rated fuel injection line. Gates has a good quality, but I don't have that info with me now. The printing on the line is green. O'Reilly's sells it.

Thank you.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

If you have fuel injection, be sure to read the Gates' green lettering to confirm. When I bought fuel line in February at O'Reilly's the salesperson assured me it was for FI. When I got home, I found out he was FOS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

Hi. I just researched and bought some Gates Barricade 1/4" PN 27313 hose for a carb'd VW. Cost around here is $2.50 per foot. It is rated for 50psi (3.4 bar). In my area both NAPA and O'Reilly should have it in stock. I will post the link for what I utilized for my needs. You can see there is a uprated hose good for 225psi. This hose is about $5 per foot. One drawback to this hose is it doesn't like sharp bends so heed that if you choose this.
Here is the link:
http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/Fuel%20Systems.pdf

The second item worthy of consideration are the choice for clamps. One important thing to determine is whatever hose you choose the OD might be different size and this needs to be considered before ordering the needed clamps. These special clamps have a limited working range that one can view on the link I'll provide. For example, I have 3 examples of USA made 1/4" fuel line and the Gates Barricade hose is approx. .030" to .040" smaller dia than the others.
Here is that link:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/307/=18x8o6v

Hope this helps, Bill.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

Bill, the 50 psi line you described above is what KentPS bought for his FI bus on accident. We had a moment of "maybe" in considering if it was safe to use. We ended up deciding against it, because even though the L-Jet fuel system runs at 40 PSI max, a blockage in the system can easily result in a spike to nearly 100 psi between the pump and the obstruction. (Though in a roadside repair, it would be absolutely fine for use between the tank and the pump, but not after!)

I know you know this, but I'm hoping it may help someone else out in the future who sees "50 psi" and assumes it's ok for FI use.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

DoubleODude wrote:
Ive read though the threads regarding vacuum lines and Im a little unclear on what size hose to buy at my FLAP, I plan on starting the process today of replacing them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need sone 5/16 hose for some of the fuel lines but what other size hose should I buy?

Your vacuum connections are very important; too tight is a bitch and too loose will roast your engine.* Ratwell has a good list of hose sizes here:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

Unfortunately, most stores don't sell metric hose that you can just walk in and sell, so I usually bring the parts in with me and persuade the counter employees to let me walk amongst all their hose reels and pre-molded hoses until I find what I want.

Here are the specialty hoses for an L-Jet bus if you are missing all of them, or if you want to KNOW that you'll bee good for the next 50 years. (Yes they're expensive, but they cost less than a latte a year if you plan on owning your bus for the next few decades.)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1988499

GEEBEE also sells the hoses individually, and manufactures a matching S-Boot if yours has any cracks. AirHead Parts also sells an S-boot that is identical to stock if you prefer the look.

Robbie

*Volkswagen did not use hose clamps on any intake vacuum hoses. First, vacuum is suction in nature, so the hoses fit more tightly when the engine is running. Second, in the event of an intake backfire, the hoses can blow off and reduce the stress of the backfire on the sensitive air-flow meter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

[quote="asiab3"]
DoubleODude wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1988499

GEEBEE also sells the hoses individually, and manufactures a matching S-Boot if yours has any cracks. AirHead Parts also sells an S-boot that is identical to stock if you prefer the look.

What is the long skinny hose for in the GEEBEE ad (the second hose from the left)? I have the other three but do not recognize that one. Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
What is the long skinny hose for in the GEEBEE ad (the second hose from the left)? I have the other three but do not recognize that one. Thanks.

That one goes directly from the aux air regulator to the S-Boot. It allows one to remove the two piece assembly with the rubber elbow that has a tendency to fail.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

DoubleODude wrote:

I missed this topic coming up back when and much of the commentary seems to discuss fuel lines. I'm working on my engine rebuild at the moment and renewing the vacuum lines and thought I'd share my findings...

There are two vacuum circuits in the stock FI system. The first is the combined circuit of the fuel pressure regulator, decel valve, and intake air plenum, also referred to elsewhere as manifold vacuum. This is a 5 mm vacuum circuit, meaning the nipples on each component have a 5 mm OD, the tee at the fuel pressure regulator is 5 mm OD, the nylon tubing is 5 mm OD and the rubber vacuum lines are 5 mm ID. Similarly, the second circuit is a 4 mm circuit but instead connects the distributor, throttle body, and EEC valve (in the air cleaner); 4 mm ODs on the components and 4 mm IDs on the hose.

You can get 5 mm , 4 mm, and 3.5 mm hose from many ACVW shops. I opted for the 3.5 mm hose on the 4 mm circuit as I preferred the fit. The 5 mm hose on the 5 mm circuit seemed fine whereas using 4 mm hose on that circuit seemed too tight for my liking. I don't believe 4.5 mm hose is available, but I'm not sure on that. Be sure to pick up some extra length, whatever size you get.

If you have to go with hoses and tubing in non-metric sizes, it would be better IMO to error on the size of being slightly too small. Like Robbie said, too loose will cause issues with your FI setup.

I have the GEEBEE hose kit and the C-shaped hose between the S-boot and the decel valve is spot on. The hose between the intake air plenum and AAR is good, but the OD is much too large, making for a tight fit between the base of the AAR and the nipple on the AAR; it seems to be a remnant piece from the hose they make that goes between the oil breather chimney and the S-boot, which also seems overly thick to me, but that thickness doesn't interfere with anything. The long skinny piece which replaces the 90 degree elbow at the AAR and goes to the S-boot has too small of an ID making sliding it over the end of the AAR exceedingly difficult. I won't be using that piece, instead sticking with a reproduction 90 degree boot and the corresponding 13 mm hose that goes between the metal tube insert for the 90 degree boot and the wye on the S-boot.

Hope that helps the OP and any follow on researchers.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Vacuum Lines 2.0 CA Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:

There are two vacuum circuits in the stock FI system. The first is the combined circuit of the fuel pressure regulator, decel valve, and intake air plenum, also referred to elsewhere as manifold vacuum. This is a 5 mm vacuum circuit, meaning the nipples on each component have a 5 mm OD, the tee at the fuel pressure regulator is 5 mm OD, the nylon tubing is 5 mm OD and the rubber vacuum lines are 5 mm ID. Similarly, the second circuit is a 4 mm circuit but instead connects the distributor, throttle body, and EEC valve (in the air cleaner); 4 mm ODs on the components and 4 mm IDs on the hose.

You can get 5 mm , 4 mm, and 3.5 mm hose from many ACVW shops. I opted for the 3.5 mm hose on the 4 mm circuit as I preferred the fit. The 5 mm hose on the 5 mm circuit seemed fine whereas using 4 mm hose on that circuit seemed too tight for my liking. I don't believe 4.5 mm hose is available, but I'm not sure on that. Be sure to pick up some extra length, whatever size you get.

Very well summarized. Here with diagram, part numbers and sizes. Heads up: note the SVDA distributor in the picture. With a CA bus, you should have a DVDA, but all the rest should apply:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680712&start=0

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: