Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beating a Dead Horse
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

I have searched exhaustively and found information by the tons about converting a swing axle transmission to an IRS transmission.
But what I want to know is, can you convert just the axles? In other words, can I install IRS axles with inner and outer CV joints to my swing axle transmission? My rig is a sand rail with wishbone type trailing arms.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

Not without redesigning your rear suspension. Nothing will keep the wheel from moving in and out, side to side. Almost all mid engine setups are swingaxle and there isn't really a good reason to change it.
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

B Ramsey wrote:
Not without redesigning your rear suspension. Nothing will keep the wheel from moving in and out, side to side. Almost all mid engine setups are swingaxle and there isn't really a good reason to change it.

Oh yes, I overlooked that. So I would need something similar to a 5 link setup. My reasoning is tire wear. I have committed my sand rail to street use only. I guess I could change my ride height, but those Bilstein shocks are pretty pricey.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

Change your upper shock mount location.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:

I guess that is an option. Although I hate to undo Mike Mazzone's beautiful welding.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:

Whatever you do, don't give any reasons why or explain your reasoning.
Tha Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

Change your springs to shorter/stiffer ones. Adjust the ride height so that the axles are level. Run less air pressure in your new tires - yours are worn in the middle & that's caused by over inflating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

So I'm going to change my springs to hopefully lower the car and soften the ride. Any suggestions on spring rates? As light as this is, I'm thinking 100 lb spring rates, but then I was also thinking a variable rate spring might be the way to go.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

B. Ramsey. I guess I deserved that, I was posting in a hurry and trying to get the guy some info before going out of town for a day or two. Moving his upper shock mount will effectively lower the vehicle. He's using coilover shocks, no torsion bars evident.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

No takers on this one?

gunslingertom wrote:
So I'm going to change my springs to hopefully lower the car and soften the ride. Any suggestions on spring rates? As light as this is, I'm thinking 100 lb spring rates, but then I was also thinking a variable rate spring might be the way to go.
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

You need to know what your current spring rate is, your travel, and your load needs are before you can decide on a new spring rate. The buggy isn't exactly a factory ride.
You can get a pretty good measure of your spring rate [well wheel rate actually] with a yardstick and a 200# girlfriend sitting on the back of the car. If both sides compress an inch, you have 100#/" spring rate.
Often there will be an engraved value on the top of a chromed spring and the spring rate may be calculated from the diameter [about 3"?], wire diameter [about >375"?], number of coils [14?], and overall length [10"?].
Spring travel is the sum of the spaces between the coils. Maybe 6" on yours. Wider spaces make stiffer springs. Fatter wire makes much stiffer springs.
Your current springs look pretty soft, the wire gauge and coil spacing look more motorcycle like than car like. Stock VWs weighed about twice as much as buggies, about 2000# with driver, and used about 75#/" spring rates with about 5" of up travel. I would guess you have 50#/" springs now. Your travel is pretty much the same, your load is less but maybe you want the stock stiffness anyway.
It will be hard to adjust height with your setup by swapping springs, they are not premade in small height differences and the square ends do not lend themselves to cutting and resetting onto the perches. Rather expensive "coil over" type shocks have adjustable perches just to readily adjust the spring height. Maybe you could fit adjuster sleeves on your shocks if they are Bilsteins, maybe not if they are just painted yellow standard shocks.
My swing axle buggy seemed just fine on the street with stock more or less 75#/" torsions and those big tires. The wide wheels and tires put a lot of leverage into the suspension and this softens the wheel rate up from the spring rate.
Dennis
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

DHale_510 wrote:
You need to know what your current spring rate is, your travel, and your load needs are before you can decide on a new spring rate. The buggy isn't exactly a factory ride.
You can get a pretty good measure of your spring rate [well wheel rate actually] with a yardstick and a 200# girlfriend sitting on the back of the car. If both sides compress an inch, you have 100#/" spring rate.
Often there will be an engraved value on the top of a chromed spring and the spring rate may be calculated from the diameter [about 3"?], wire diameter [about >375"?], number of coils [14?], and overall length [10"?].
Spring travel is the sum of the spaces between the coils. Maybe 6" on yours. Wider spaces make stiffer springs. Fatter wire makes much stiffer springs.
Your current springs look pretty soft, the wire gauge and coil spacing look more motorcycle like than car like. Stock VWs weighed about twice as much as buggies, about 2000# with driver, and used about 75#/" spring rates with about 5" of up travel. I would guess you have 50#/" springs now. Your travel is pretty much the same, your load is less but maybe you want the stock stiffness anyway.
It will be hard to adjust height with your setup by swapping springs, they are not premade in small height differences and the square ends do not lend themselves to cutting and resetting onto the perches. Rather expensive "coil over" type shocks have adjustable perches just to readily adjust the spring height. Maybe you could fit adjuster sleeves on your shocks if they are Bilsteins, maybe not if they are just painted yellow standard shocks.
My swing axle buggy seemed just fine on the street with stock more or less 75#/" torsions and those big tires. The wide wheels and tires put a lot of leverage into the suspension and this softens the wheel rate up from the spring rate.
Dennis

They are Bilstein shocks. My wife is about 117 lbs, so she won't work Laughing . I can tell you this, I'm 225 and I can stand on the back of it and not budge it. I can jack it up and not move the swing axle at all. I have to bounce on the rear to get it to move. Don't know why it's set up so stiff, but it is.
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

those rear shocks/ springs are very stiff. if I were you i would look at changing them out with true coil overs and a proper spring weight
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

griffs68 wrote:
those rear shocks/ springs are very stiff. if I were you i would look at changing them out with true coil overs and a proper spring weight

What exactly is a "true coil over?"
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

Basically, negating the need for any rear torsion springs.

Just pivots at the torsion arm and the suspension is actually done via the shocks and coil sets.

In a nut shell, you have the required setup for it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

Yes, Third is right. You DO have "True Coilovers".

And they are the "real deal" unlike the cheapo EMPI coilover shocks that so many think are so cool, but actually work like something the dog left in the back yard.

What you have may not be properly set up for the car. And maybe there are better coilover shocks for your car. There are air shocks for the job that use nitrogen gas to replace the springs. Setting up what you have is probably best handled by someone who knows about shocks and spring rates and can work more closely with you than we can on a forum.

No1clyde is really sharp on this subject. Maybe you can talk him into helping you on this.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Yes, Third is right. You DO have "True Coilovers".
I knew, but I was being a smart ass when I asked what "true coilovers" are. Sorry.
It took my son and myself to stand on it to get it to drop 1 inch. We weigh 400 lbs together. So If I understand it, the springs should be 200 lb springs. I ordered 100 lb springs. We'll see how that works.

On another note and so I don't have to start a new thread...
I decided to change my rear rotors to a Chevy pattern, mostly because I have a ton of Chevy wheels.
Anyway, I have as we all know, a swing axle car. The rotors I got required the use of spacers under the castle nut. I guess my splines are that of an IRS? Anyway, to get the rotors to sit where they needed too, I had to machine 0.1875" off of the inside of the hub where it meets the bearing surface. Has anyone else had to do this?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

I think your brackets were not done right. Or the brake kit was made for a different vintage swingaxle. The axle spline on a long spline swing axle is the same as the spline on an IRS axle... Or on a small nut Bus reduction swingaxle, or a Thing IRS, or a Porsche 924 and 944.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a Dead Horse Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I think your brackets were not done right. Or the brake kit was made for a different vintage swingaxle. The axle spline on a long spline swing axle is the same as the spline on an IRS axle... Or on a small nut Bus reduction swingaxle, or a Thing IRS, or a Porsche 924 and 944.

Thing is, I used the Empi disc brake conversion and it all mounts up the same way as what I took off. In fact, even the old calipers would not line up with the new rotors. The new mounts put the calipers exactly where the old ones were, so the difference is in the rotor. And yes, it is a long spline swing axle.

Here is the setup.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: