Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom???
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

Wait for a genuine Manx. Nothing else looks quite right to me!
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

Maybe buy one ready-to-run. Naaaw.... where would be the fun in that? I built up a BSA Goldie cafe racer years ago and a DONZI Sweet 16 about a decade ago, but neither was as much fun to run compared to rooting around for their period parts.

Jim
Manx #2614
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

Instead of buying the aluminum tie rods for my wider beam, then paying to have them trimmed and tapped I would buy bungs and make my own.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

Next time I just might skip the cam, carbs, head work etc. and just build a good solid base engine to put a turbo and larger draw through single barrel SU or Mikuni carb on. Way less money, hassle and tuning for more punch! Simpler is better.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Next time I just might skip the cam, carbs, head work etc. and just build a good solid base engine to put a turbo and larger draw through single barrel SU or Mikuni carb on. Way less money, hassle and tuning for more punch! Simpler is better.

You'll want to do both. Put the turbo on the motor with the big cam, carbs and head work!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

I rebuilt my buggy a few years back and made one big change that has worked out great and I will strive to do on any future buggy project. I made the body easily removable.

I can pull the front tire and quickly disconnect the steering coupler and unplug the front lighting wiring. I unplug the tail light wiring out back. I pull the front seats, and unplug the wiring to the dash. Then I remove the body to pan bolts and the body can be lifted off the chassis and set on the garage floor. I wouldn't even bleed the brakes without removing the body now. I wired the dash with the body on saw horses and me on a mechanics stool. When bleeding the brakes I can look at the fluid level in the built in reservoir and the fluid in the line at the wheel cylinder while working the brake pedal. It is a real back saver to not have to crawl up under the body to work on stuff.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I rebuilt my buggy a few years back and made one big change that has worked out great and I will strive to do on any future buggy project. I made the body easily removable.

I can pull the front tire and quickly disconnect the steering coupler and unplug the front lighting wiring. I unplug the tail light wiring out back. I pull the front seats, and unplug the wiring to the dash. Then I remove the body to pan bolts and the body can be lifted off the chassis and set on the garage floor. I wouldn't even bleed the brakes without removing the body now. I wired the dash with the body on saw horses and me on a mechanics stool. When bleeding the brakes I can look at the fluid level in the built in reservoir and the fluid in the line at the wheel cylinder while working the brake pedal. It is a real back saver to not have to crawl up under the body to work on stuff.

Brilliant.

AMAC
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Brilliant.

AMAC

Absolutely brilliant!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
oprn wrote:

You'll want to do both. Put the turbo on the motor with the big cam, carbs and head work!

Na, why pay twice for the same thing? You do the cam, carbs and head work to help it breath right? So does the turbo! Redundancy plane and simple unless you have very deep pockets and are going for the absolute, ultimate last possible bit of power. Not me, all I need is 150 or so HP for the street. Anymore than that would just get me in trouble in so many different ways!!
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
SamT wrote:
oprn wrote:

Na, why pay twice for the same thing? You do the cam, carbs and head work to help it breath right? So does the turbo! Redundancy plane and simple unless you have very deep pockets and are going for the absolute, ultimate last possible bit of power. Not me, all I need is 150 or so HP for the street. Anymore than that would just get me in trouble in so many different ways!!

It just depends what your doing. If your starting from scratch you may as well build a 2276 you can buy good enough heads for 150 hp for $800 easily. And it's only a couple hundred more than building a 1776 or something otherwise. If your starting with a small motor you just want to rebuild or shopping in your parts stash then yea it's a lot more money.

Back 10 years ago or so we went to the dunes every weekend. I always laughed at the turbo VW crowd, they would act like they had a rocket ship, but I was easily outrunning them on the strip with a we'll built natural 2017 and matching trans I ran for a few years. (I wish I had that motor on a shelf now to turbo) When I wanted more I built a drag style 2332 that ran with most V8 cars easily.
Over the years I worked with lots of turbo motors tuning them for guys, replacing pistons with holes, Ect. A lot of them were more of a fight than a drag motor with dual carbs. Anyways a guy brought me a buggy he couldn't tune that had a "300 hp 2332" the turbo ended up being way too big, I swapped it out for a proper size and it ran pretty good for a motor that was nothing special to begin with. Maybe 225 hp, it was not 150 with the big turbo it wouldn't spool. The guy kept looking a my rail telling me I needed to swap him labor for the turbo I pulled off. (Big T4 from CB) anyways i swapped him, went in for my biannual freshen up and swapped cams, lowered compression, built a turbo header and blew through my carbs, added a btm and boost fuel control. Holy smokes. You couldn't ask for anything better. Big power all the time, runs cool, excellent mpg, no cleaning carbs anymore.

I guess I took the long way in saying. If your under the impression that big heads and big displacement won't bennifit a turbo motor like the would natural then your mistaken, they probably bennifit even more in a turbo motor. But if you just want to add some power to en existing engine then that's probably the cheapest way. Just remember it's only under boost power, so that's effectively raising the compression ratio and the engine won't live forever if your under boost all the time.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

All my wiring is in the pan as is the steering column and all the switches and gauges. All I have to do is remove the seats, a fuel line, 2 weather-pack connectors for ignition coils and tail lights. undo 8 bolts and body lifts off.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
It just depends what your doing.

I see we agree, for a modest HP gain there is no need to do both.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

After more thoughts.
If you plan on actually driving it spend on the seats. I cut corners and it just sucked to ride on crap. Pair of PRP roadsters fixed that!

AMAC
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
After more thoughts.
If you plan on actually driving it spend on the seats. I cut corners and it just sucked to ride on crap. Pair of PRP roadsters fixed that!

AMAC

Excellent advice! We just took a 11 hour trip in ours and the contour of the seats is fine but they are hard like a plank. Looking for some foam to pad them up a bit for the drive home! Our butts and legs went numb!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: If you did it again, what would be different?? Wisdom??? Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
After more thoughts.

AMAC

Excellent advice! We just took a 11 hour trip in ours and the contour of the seats is fine but they are hard like a plank. Looking for some foam to pad them up a bit for the drive home!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: