Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolalola62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

My NB has 310,000 miles on it and (knock on wood) all is well other than the slight vibration issue I mentioned recently. I suspect a motor mount, but my oil change and a/c service is coming up so I'll address it then.

My question: how long does this generation TDI typically last before needing rebuild/replacement?

The reason I ask is my neighbor has a super low mileage 2012 Honda Accord coupe for sale, and I was tempted to buy it. But there really is no justification for me to dump the Beetle. Opinions? Accord only has 20,000 miles on it.

People at work think I'm stupid for not buying the Accord and keep harping on my mileage on the Beetle and I keep reminding them it's a diesel, it's not like a gas car (although it seems many Hondas hang in there with high miles).
M4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

Would you want to rebuild the diesel? When it needs to be rebuilt it will be costly.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

and owning 2 cars is bad why?? a paid for extra car is a nice thing to have... you have the last of IMO the good diesel engine set ups... and till dead why stop using it? yea sux that its in a bug... but think new car, crap weather, poopy parking lot when shopping and such..

plate it, insure it with non full coverage.. liability with uninsured motorist is all ya need unless you cause the crash.. then well car game over.. good reason to have had the other..
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

They are affectionately called the million mile motors. Aside from leaking IP & possible turbo failure, if you keep the proper oil in it they'll keep on going. It's the rest of the plastic crap that'll start pissing you off.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
lolalola62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

I think I'll pass on the Honda. Nice car but can't really justify it yet.

And yes, the plastic crap in the beetle does piss me off. And the discolored crappy door handles and switches on the inside and the alarm system I never fix that goes off if you don't jump in and turn the key on right away!

Thanks for the comments.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

Our '04 Jetta TDI had 470,000 km on it and going strong when we hit a deer and wrote it off.

Local VW mechanics here say 600,000 is not uncommon.

I've been told that giving the engine a couple minutes of cool down time before you shut it off coming off the highway is the secret to preventing turbo failure.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

diesel engines are used in:

Freight trains
ocean going vessels
semi trucks

they run at half the rpms of a similar gas engine.

so, the theory is they wear out twice as slow.

Keep the beetle. take care of maintaining the engine as much as possible. A diesel engine, well maintained, can last forever.

plastic trim crap-they have the same stuff in other modern cars.

good luck!
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

but all the 275k miles ones ive been in needed valve guides.. valve jobs on the old idi ones with blown headgaskets was common.. same metals.. same wear.. just overlooked as no more headgasket fiber wear out.. id say 200k or so should be expected life of the guides
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

I agree VW plastic will kill that Beetle sooner than the engine wearing out.
Maintain the car, and the engine, there will alway be another Honda to buy later.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjunkie3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

493,xxx miles on our TDI Beetle and still going strong. Never been apart. Oil changes and timing belts when needed.
Omaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

Good to hear members here with 200k, 300k & 400k miles and still going strong. Maintenance is key to the longevity of any vehicle for sure. I drive mine year round. Just throw my snow tire & wheel setup on at the first snow and I've been good to go.

Of course, my '05 NB TDI only has 86k on it. Timing belt & water pump service has recently been done.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

Now I am actually tempted to buy one.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

Ah yes the power of suggestion, it works Wink
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Ah yes the power of suggestion, it works Wink

What can I say. I've always wanted a diesel. My wife would like it. I really need a small truck for hauling parts. Diesel Rabbit truck may be the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

You only need the Diesel & a small trailer.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 99 TDI New Beetle High Mileage Question Reply with quote

I do that now with my wife's Camry. I've towed so many Beetles with it. I was wondering if it would hold up. I stuck a cargo carrier on it last week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: