Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracked case
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theiss42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Cracked case Reply with quote

Hello, first post. Recently picked up a 1970 project bug. So far really like it.

It was sitting for about 3 years. Drained the gas, did an oil change and minor tune up. New points, fuel lines, valve and timing adjustment. got it running pretty darn good all things considered.

Now the not so good. It had a fairly significant oil leak. P.O. said this is why they stopped driving it. valve covers were leaking pretty bad and after some cleaning i found what i thought was oil coming from where the oil cooler sits. Pulled the motor to do a more thorough cleaning, hoping to find nothing obvious other than the oil cooler leak.... well the oil cooler seals was leaking but so was the crack in the block.

So my question is at this point should i be looking for a new motor?

My goals are to keep it fairly stock as a fun weekend and after work car. I'm fairly mechanically minded but have never built a motor or anything even close.

Thanks in advance, this site has been a great resource in the last few weeks. and yes I already relocated the fuel filter and bought the orange Bentley manual!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

I say a new case is needed. It could be repaired, but it would not be worth it....my opinion.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

Nice bug Wink

Where's the crack?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

Ah shoot, Sorry about the cracked case. Keep an eye out for Xatie scooting around in her new bug. It will be the one with Oregon plates Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
theiss42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply's!

Joey1320: thanks, it's in pretty good shape other than the motor... very little rust. The crack is on the top and side of the case to the right of cylinder #1

Nice bug Xevin, I'll keep my eye out for it javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

Anyone know any good shops in the western Washington, North West Oregon area that sells new / rebuilt blocks?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Nice bug Wink

Where's the crack?

From the top forward cylinder stud to almost the center line of the case.

To the OP. Damn that sux.

As stated above. You can get it fixed. But the case would likely warp and leak worse that if you just replaced the case.

Get a replacement case, a little more cam, up the displacement to 1679 and balance the crap outta everything that rotates. That might make it worth the work to get it fixed Very Happy

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

theiss42 wrote:

Anyone know any good shops in the western Washington, North West Oregon area that sells new / rebuilt blocks?

You can buy a long block. But these days you never know what your getting. There have been countless posts here of folks that bought long blocks thinking they made a great deal. Only to find out that what they paid for was inferior to their expectations.

Buy a couple of books, you already have the Bentley manual. Also get "How To Hotrod Volkwagen Engines" and read up on the procedures.

The best quality engine you can buy, is the one that you built yourself. That way you know for sure what went into it and can take pride when someone asks "Who buit your engine?"

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

Maybe contact Autohaus in Olympia (I'm sure you're familiar) . Seem like good guys. They have a pretty good parts dept. Not the cheapest but sometimes I buy from them because it's good to keep ACVW shops alive. It's possible they might have a case, or other stuff you will need. Talk with them anyway. Also
Averys has some good stuff as well and an outstanding type1 mechanic. I'm not sure if either will have a block ready to go. But they could point you in the right direction or perhaps build you one. I'm just thinking locally for you. I got a guy or two in Portland if you want to go that far. PM me sometime.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

Is the 10mm cylinder stud by the crack holding its torque? (under the circumstances I'd be happy with 18 lbft)

If it was holding torque and mine, I'd schmooy up the crack with some hi-temp red RTV and drive it. For sure, I'd go easy on it, but if all else was okay, I'd try to get more miles out of it.

Just my opinion; I'm not always a perfectionist.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Is the 10mm cylinder stud by the crack holding its torque? (under the circumstances I'd be happy with 18 lbft)

If it was holding torque and mine, I'd schmooy up the crack with some hi-temp red RTV and drive it. For sure, I'd go easy on it, but if all else was okay, I'd try to get more miles out of it.

This Wink

Instead of red RTV I would use Hondabond HT. Absolutely the best gasket maker on the planet.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

Yes a new case or used very good case will work. Then figure out what the vehicle will be used for. After that then you know the size of engine you will want/need. As mentioned balance everything, worth the money and so smooth too.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

goober wrote:

Why not JB Weld?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

"Why not JB Weld or Hondabond HT?"

Okay. Whatever you guys think is best. My quick & easy goto is usually some form of silicone rubber.

I think if the stud is holding and he schmooys the crack with something decent, and then drove it normally, I think he'd be okay.
theiss42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Craked case Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the good advice. I'll check the torque on the stud tonight. If it is holding I'll give the temporary fix a try for now while I look into my options for building a new motor. Some thing I've always wanted to do just wasn't planning on doing it quite yet.

Also in the disassembly I found the intake gasket on the non craked side of the motor to be almost completely block with what looks like rust. I'll post a pic later this eve. Could this have caused the heat build up necessary to crack the case?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: