Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 607, 608, 609 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I love stock but appreciate other ideas, I wish you posted an audio of it before you swiped it out pyrOman Crying or Very sad

pyrOman wrote:
So, not only has my hearing been deteriorating 'cause of the "kool" but LOUD sound of the sidewinder MONDO muffler, but also after 8 years so many miles, the "bling" is long gone. Sad

Been wanting to replace it with a less noisy one for some time and this past Saturday decided to dive into it so I went looking for a suitable choice. After looking at NAPA, peep boys and O'grylies, walked from O'grylies' parking lot to AutoZone (yes, in Chula Juana they are right next to each other! Shocked ), there not only did I find THE muffler to have but it was sitting right there on the shelf!!! Surprised

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This tiny muffler is perfect! About 10" long, 8" or so wide and less than 3" tall, WOW! Check out the YUGE difference! Razz

Using parts from my other contraption, I came up with this:

Much better tucked in than the MONDO! Smile

But wait! That's not all! Now I don't have to drop the muffler to do the valves! Dancing

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I love stock but appreciate other ideas, I wish you posted an audio of it before you swiped it out pyrOman Crying or Very sad

I wish I'd know how to do that! Embarassed

Surely by now most people know how loud the MONDO muffler on the sidewinder is. I can say this set up knocked down the loudness by at least 50% of that! Surprised

I keep asking myself "is this thing on?" Laughing
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

FML, I managed to find some frameless popout hinges, but they seem to be long. 85mm end to end. I forgot to take measurements on my bus and the bodyshop where my bus is is 6h away from where I am now.

Does anyone have a measurement of the distance between 2 popout windows?
e.g middle and rear of a standard. Without including the lip though.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
Does anyone have a measurement of the distance between 2 popout windows?
e.g middle and rear of a standard. Without including the lip though.

lightice wrote:
e.g middle and rear of a standard.

Both are identical width.

lightice wrote:
measurement of the distance between 2 popout windows?
...Without including the lip though.

The way they are stamped there's a rolled edge. If I measure from the tangent of the roll where it is 90 degrees to the face I get 108mm on mine.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Hi Barryl, thanks for replying to my inquiry ,

As per the picture below, red line.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

My number is from the outside of the bus but I think it is the same.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

pyrOman, did it sound like this? No offense but it isn't very loud Crying or Very sad Although I really dig this cute little speedster beetle. What are they called? I wonder if they have a forum category here Think

Link

pyrOman wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I wish I'd know how to do that! Embarassed

Surely by now most people know how loud the MONDO muffler on the sidewinder is. I can say this set up knocked down the loudness by at least 50% of that! Surprised

I keep asking myself "is this thing on?" Laughing

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
My number is from the outside of the bus but I think it is the same.

Thanks for taking measurements for me.

Ended up the 'brazilian' glass had the hinge mounting too close to the edge and there was not enough space for the hinges as they butted together.

I had to have new glass made for my bus.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

So my phone rings this morning, and my chiropractor leaves a message that another customer mentioned that they were deciding what to do with some older VW parts left from the estate of their deceased brother, and might I be interested in them. After a call to the chiropractor, I have the number of the lady. I find out that her brother ran for many years a VW and foreign car shop right in my town, and he passed away about 5 years ago. Nice guy too. They have just a few VW parts on their farm and they want them gone, but hated the idea of just trashing them. They wanted them to go to VW folks.
They invite me out, and I was off today, so I was going...

I decide to break out my old '59 Double-Door Panel Bus so she and I would get a nice long drive out west of St. Louis to their farm and back. It's a nice day, unseasonably cool weather and a cloudless sky. Check the air pressure, check the oil, off we go!

I have an enjoyable journey out, and was offered six used Beetle rear engine lids, a headlight lens and roll up beetle glass and a nice used regional license plate frame from the Cape Girardeau, Mo dealership. I load up and head back home on a very scenic route crossing the mighty Missouri River to home. Even if I hadn't picked up anything at all, it was a nice and uneventful but enjoyable countyside tour out and back, about 135 miles roundtrip!

My original paint DD Panel after arrival back home...

The panel and it's booty...

and that cool old Cape Girardeau VW dealership frame...

I love this Bus! Today was fun!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Bill, nice bus, your luck/charm i was truly expecting to see a much bigger and valuable take, ie: a barn find 56 porsche,or the the like... Laughing but Im sure those lids will find a good home, lord knows that garage must be filled by now..btw how many sq.ft is that garage? I can only imagine.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Yes Tom, my seven car garage/"mancave" is fairly jammed with both old VWs and lots of parts, not to mention all the shelving rows in the basement loaded with 40 years worth of collected VW stuff. The garage currently holds seven VWs, and is about 30 feet wide across the doors and about 40 feet deep. God, it's heaven!

I was secretly hoping that I'd spot a dusty Hebmuller buried under shit in a old barn (and there was an old barn there that I didn't get to peek in), but I'd have been happy coming home from a nice drive in my Panel with nothing at all other than the smile on my face! I got something in between. Really nice folks too, who said they will call when/if they find more stuff later on.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

After 10 years since splitting the case (sheesh) I'm finally stabbing in my Puma shrouded fresh engine. I know it's too glossy.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

is that your oilchange tub on the left side?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

For when I'm on-the-road-oil-change. A spare belt lays exactly round in the bottom as a spare with a pie tin inside that for the 10mm wrench and nuts, oil screen and cover when they come off all drippy in an ail change. There's a tiny bailing wire link to the gusset to keep it from getting flailed if.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
mandraks wrote:

For when I'm on-the-road-oil-change. A spare belt lays exactly round in the bottom as a spare with a pie tin inside that for the 10mm wrench and nuts, oil screen and cover when they come off all drippy in an ail change. There's a tiny bailing wire link to the gusset to keep it from getting flailed if.

you are my kind of guy

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

i just polished the Mango up with some TR3 and cleaned the dust off the windows! Since i'm working from home today doing all phone business. Last call for alcohol as the whole industry closes tomorrow at 5pm and doesn't reopen until 8/21!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Totally. Cool

mandraks wrote:
BarryL wrote:
mandraks wrote:

you are my kind of guy

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

So after having to replace juan too many nose cone rubber mounts, I went ahead and order me this:

Comes with all needed for a true bolt on affair! No drilling even needed since it installs using already existing holes on the frame horns. However, they do tell you to clean up the gunk/dirt buildup since the rubber mounts are to fit fairly tight in there.

First you have to remove the 4 lower studs, using the "double nut" method, then install the formed plate. It only fits juan way so you can't mess that up!

Next is the rubber pieces:

Finally bolt on the last plate and it's all good to go!

The instructions claim you can do this within an hour, so I did time myself. Well, it DID take me just about an hour but as you can see, I also stopped to take the pictures. So it can definitely be done in less than an hour. Cool

I haven't taken it for a drive just yet but will report later if there is any noticeable difference, short of not having to EVER change that broken mount again! Razz
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Also had this "Funny & Lucky" thing happen last week...

So, I almost always use this 4x4 block on the floor jack to both, increase the lift and not to mess up the underside of the vehicles. Cool

Last Thursday I needed to replace the bushing on the shifter rod and decided to lift the bus on the driver's side only. You all know about the edge along the bottom of the frame. Well, once I was done with the job upon removing the jack it came out without the 4x4!?! Confused

Don't know why I just started putting the jack and tools away forgetting all about the block. On Saturday I went on to install a new starter relay on the Plump truck but could not find the block for the jack! That's when I realize that last I used it for the Dormy fix, so I did the "oh sh!T", looked under the Dormy and ...

I first did an eL O eL but then I also realized that I drove it all the way to work and back!!!! Shocked

Lucky it didn't dumped it along the way! Anxious
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

I first did an eL O eL but then I also realized that I drove it all the way to work and back!!!! Shocked
Lucky it didn't dumped it along the way! Anxious

I couldn't find my small mole (vice) grips a couple of months ago. Looked everywhere, but couldn't find them. A few weeks back I went to adjust the clutch pedal travel. Found the grips. They were clamped on the cable end. They'd been there since I put the gearbox back in. Embarassed

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 607, 608, 609 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 608 of 680

Jump to: