Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Transporter - Alternating Current?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfeinstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

I have a beautiful 1970 Transporter and am looking to expand the electricity options while traveling out of the vehicle.

I know there is the option to have a heavy weight power cord connected to the outside of the vehicle to get electrical power on the side panel on the inside - and I have such a cord. I also know that there is no cigarette lighter outlet in the front into which an adapter can be plugged in to get direct alternating current, the way many other vehicles of the era had.

My question is, is there anything in the front of the vehicle that can be modified in order to have it operate like the cigarette lighter outlets did in other older vehicles of that era, so that I could use that to use the vehicle's battery to charge my lap top computer and other such devices

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

Welcome,
A cig lighter can be installed anywhere you like if you have basic wiring skills, but they provide direct current (12 volts), to make AC (110 volts) you'll need an inverter: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

Don't expect unlimited power from your battery and charging systems. They are absolutely tiny when compared to the Hoover dams and coal fired monoliths you are used to plugging your devices into. If you do not have a second "house" battery to store energy to handle these extra loads you may find yourself with an engine that will not start when you need it most.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

Quote:
I also know that there is no cigarette lighter outlet in the front into which an adapter can be plugged in to get direct alternating current,

The phrasing here, needs work.

There is a great book on sailboat electrics by Don Casey that I recommend budding electrical techs read. If you carry boat practices into,your land yacht, you will have a really safe install.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

If you want to run laptop and other devices you're in luck. They run on DC (the same current coming out of your car battery). Just buy a DC receptical and charger for your laptop (so it can plug into the outlet).

Inverters are good if you're trying to run something that only runs on AC and even then they're pretty inefficient. Charging a laptop from an inverter means you're converting DC -> AC -> DC.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
If you want to run laptop and other devices you're in luck. They run on DC (the same current coming out of your car battery). Just buy a DC receptical and charger for your laptop (so it can plug into the outlet)..

But many run more than 12 volts DC, like closer to 18 if I recall, unless the car charger incorporates some sort of step up converter (inverter) you may have a problem.
Little cig lighter size inverters can charge laptops through house current adaptors, but if you plan on making a latte and blow drying your beard while it charges you'll need more amps. Or a really really long extension cord.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

To charge different items I bought a 12V receptacle with heavy duty battery clips. It has about a 6' cable attached. Then used that on the battery to a plug-in 100 watt inverter. Then let the bus idle while charging big lithium batteries to be sure it didn't pull the car battery down. Worked like a charm. The only thing I still have to do is put a fuse inline even though the inverter has one. We use it when camping to charge things. Since things are charged when we leave home, they don't need to be recharged while driving on 1 - 2 day trips. The inverter draws about 9 amps at 12V DC to put out 100 watts at 120V AC.

from Amazon

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

I bought this...
https://www.amazon.com/MEIDI-2-Socket-Cigarette-Sp...&psc=1

...and attached it with Velcro under the dash. Cut off the plug-in cigarette adapter, and splice it into a spare prong on your fuse panel. When you're done, you will not only have two cigarette outlets but, more importantly, two USB charging ports. It was very helpful on our camping trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

mfeinstein wrote:
I have a beautiful 1970 Transporter and am looking to expand the electricity options while traveling out of the vehicle.

I know there is the option to have a heavy weight power cord connected to the outside of the vehicle to get electrical power on the side panel on the inside - and I have such a cord. I also know that there is no cigarette lighter outlet in the front into which an adapter can be plugged in to get direct alternating current, the way many other vehicles of the era had.

My question is, is there anything in the front of the vehicle that can be modified in order to have it operate like the cigarette lighter outlets did in other older vehicles of that era, so that I could use that to use the vehicle's battery to charge my lap top computer and other such devices

Thanks

There is no such thing as direct alternating current. I have a 12VDC cigarette lighter under the dashboard of my '69 camper and another on the jumpseat box. You can use those with a cord like this to charge your Apple laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/Magsafe-Adapter-Charger-Mac...le+charger

You can use this to charge your iPhone.
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Adapter-Built-Light...ne+charger

These devices should be used with caution because there is no overcharging protection.

You can add a 12VDC cigarette outlet anywhere with this.
https://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Waterproof-Motorcyc...%3AFoxnovo
or this
https://accessories.lazydays.com/prime-products-du...WCEALw_wcB

Aloha
tp
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

69-71 NEWBIE

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

Don't forget that a large proportion of the World's domestic AC single-phase electrical supplies, are nominally 240 Volts RMS, at a frequency of 50 Hz; unlike the USA which is 110 Volts RMS at a frequency of 60 Hz.

If your electrical equipment is frequency sensitive, there might be a problem!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Don't forget that a large proportion of the World's domestic AC single-phase electrical supplies, are nominally 240 Volts RMS, at a frequency of 50 Hz; unlike the USA which is 110 Volts RMS at a frequency of 60 Hz.

The standard USA domestic nominal supply voltage has been 240V nominal for something like the last 50 years. It is provided with a transformer center tap wire, giving two phases of 120V (not 110V). All V's RMS of course.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

The standard USA domestic nominal supply voltage has been 240V nominal for something like the last 50 years. It is provided with a transformer center tap wire, giving two phases of 120V (not 110V). All V's RMS of course.

Most of our small appliances run on 120v though, whereas small appliances elsewhere may well use 240V.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

And the voltage is slowly creeping up. It's typically around 125 and 250 volts now. Many years ago, it actually was 110 volts, then increased to 115, 117, 120, etc. [The cynic in me thinks: instant revenue increase for power companies: P = E˛ / R.]
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Transporter - Alternating Current? Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
And the voltage is slowly creeping up. It's typically around 125 and 250 volts now. Many years ago, it actually was 110 volts, then increased to 115, 117, 120, etc. [The cynic in me thinks: instant revenue increase for power companies: P = E˛ / R.]

The bean counters find lots of little ways to jack up their profits. It is like their billing. The late charges actually make them money - many companies fish different billing dates trying to find the ones that customers will be late on. I am not making that up - I came from the credit industry before IT. Or like I sometimes wonder if the foamy gasoline throws the amount off a little. Air is cheap to introduce and I wonder what percentage of air stays in suspension 1%? 2%? 3%? Some stations a couple years ago here in California were caught pumping warm gasoline according to the news back then - warm fluids expand...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: