Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rescuing a 1979 Transporter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Tackled cleaning the headliner tonight just to get the muck out and make work on it a bit more enjoyable. This is only Round 1, but a big difference nonetheless. Here's some before and afters...

Front:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Side:

Rear:

Some overall finished pictures:

Round 2 will occur at a later, unspecified date.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

The last few weeks have been busy with buying a new bus, selling Greta, and travelling for work so not much has been done with the '79. Now that things have settled a bit and with Amskeptic's visit a little over a week away, I need to get cracking!

Tonight, I managed to repair the mouse-chewed portion of the engine harness where it pigtails to the AFM. The damage wasn't too bad actually, only one wire chewed through completely, another wire only partially through the metal, and two more with only the insulation gone through.

So I soldered and shrink wrapped in splices and zip tied a corrugated wire sheath around the whole thing. It's not going to win a beauty contest, but should be functional and durable.

A few weeks back, I ordered a fuel hose kit from German Supply. I inquired about shift Steering couplers since I had seen that this bus's wasn't looking too great when I took off the steering tube to get at the ignition switch. Turns out they had 2 NOS ones in stock. I got both, one for this bus and the other disk for my other bus. So this is the task for tomorrow night, change out the fuel lines and pray that there's no rust in the tank. I'm not hopeful, but new goodies are always fun!

After that, all that's left to do is add gas, change the oil, and get a new battery and I should be ready for Amskeptic to come on the 16th. Hopefully, we can actually get it running then. Looking forward to it!

Tcash

EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Those stripes are fantastic.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Fuel hose kit installed:

...also completed an oil change. The only things left to do before Amskeptic's visit is to get fuel, buy a battery, and fabricate a temporary battery tray out of plywood. With all those boxes ticked, we should have all the major obstacles to getting the bus running addressed. Cross your fingers for a blissful report at the end of next weekend.

There is still a nasty stink of mouse piss in the engine compartment as well as general mildewy smell in the cabin. So other than getting it running, heavy cleaning is the next big priority.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Excellent write up! Fun little extraction episode Laughing

Your fuel pump has an winning chance of ruining your day. I say this from personal experience... Sad

It has been sitting far too long with old gasoline inside of it, which has by now likely turned to thick varnish. If you are patient and careful, you can actually take that pump apart from its can, and thoroughly clean it and reinstall it. If you choose to do that, be highly attentive to how it comes out of the can and put it back together right.

Or you can just buy a new one for less than $100.

But all of that work will be for naught if you don't also clean out the gas tank and add a pre-filter ahead of the pump if you cannot yet clean the tank.

And... as previously noted, totally cool striping! Nice potential with that bus~ Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Excellent write up! Fun little extraction episode Laughing

Your fuel pump has an winning chance of ruining your day. I say this from personal experience... Sad

It has been sitting far too long with old gasoline inside of it, which has by now likely turned to thick varnish. If you are patient and careful, you can actually take that pump apart from its can, and thoroughly clean it and reinstall it. If you choose to do that, be highly attentive to how it comes out of the can and put it back together right.

Or you can just buy a new one for less than $100.

But all of that work will be for naught if you don't also clean out the gas tank and add a pre-filter ahead of the pump if you cannot yet clean the tank.

And... as previously noted, totally cool striping! Nice potential with that bus~ Cool

I should have mentioned, I did bench test the fuel pump while I was replacing the fuel lines and it pumped the old gas out nicely so I'm not concerned there. I think I might be fortunate on the fuel tank as well as draining the 1/2 gallon of gas that was in there came out quite clean, almost looking new. Fools good perhaps, but the gas cap remained well seated and sealing appears to have been good. We will find out for sure this week I suppose.

Also, by pre-filter, do you mean like the one in the last photo? That picture is taken looking rearward so you get the filter, the pump, then the rest if the fuel loop in the engine compartment. Nice thing about the fuel kits from German Supply are that they include a filter and the injector seals asking with the pre cut fuel lines and quality clamps. Great deal, I think.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Okay, cool. The sediment in your tank may be sloshed and re-agitated when you start driving, but right now your gas comes out clean. Just be aware of this potential.

I suggested a pre-filter for your fuel pump because of the unknown condition of the fuel tank. No need to clog the fuel pump!

So, yes two filters for now: the pre-filter (any decent filter that will fit up) to protect the pump until you can renovate the gas tank, and the filter guarding your fuel injection system. Two filters; one temporary and one by design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Itinerant Air Cooled Day 2016 Reply with quote

Last Saturday (16 July) was my IAC day with Amskeptic (Colin) this year. I spent the last few days before he arrived getting as much ready as I could so that we’d have the best chance of getting the 79 running before the days end. So with fresh fuel lines, gas, a new battery, and lots of cleaning both in the bus (to get the stink out) and in the garage (to get the stink out to make the sure we had a decent workspace), I went to bed Friday night, ready to go, but just barely squeaked it all in.

Colin arrived Saturday morning around 9:30. Normally he arrives promptly at 9:00, but limped into the driveway running on only three cylinders after spending a half hour troubleshooting a no spark condition on his #3 cylinder. He did eventually get it running through the course of the day as I undertook tasks on the 79.

The first issue we needed to address before trying to start the engine was eliminating an electrical anomaly I had discovered when connecting the battery the day before. I hadn’t had enough time to chase it down after installing the battery the day before. After some interrogation, we discovered that some prior work I had done to the starter had been done incorrectly. I had understood the starter solenoid to be a push against the starter motor lever when in fact it is a pull. As such, I hadn’t hooked the bar in the starter solenoid over the starter motor lever. We corrected this, reinstalled the starter and I went to the front of the bus, Colin to the back. I turned the key and…nothing. The starter wasn’t whirring when I turned the key to run, but when I turned it to run, no start.

I went through a few more iterations of turning the key while Colin fiddled around in the engine compartment. He could hear that the fuel pump was on continuously when I had the key on. We immediately went to the AFM, prying the lid off the factory seal and finding – curiously – that the fuel pump cutoff lever was not disengaging the contacts when the AFM wiper was closed. Colin corrected that and I turned the key again and sure enough it fired to life, horrendously loud as the lifters pumped up. Last time I had a hydraulic engine sit for a long time it took about 10 minutes of driving (after a long idle) before the lifters quieted down.

Colin has such a great ear, even among the racket, he could hear that a cylinder wasn’t firing. He started pulling plug wires one by one and sure enough, #2 wasn’t contributing. We stopped the engine, replaced the wire, and #2 came back online. After that we started polishing up the ignition system. We pulled the points, filed them down until they were shiny, set the timing, and restarted the bus letting it run for a while to see if the lifters would pump up. They never did fully before we shut it off for the day, but we did use the time to visit with Bleyseng who had brought his 70 Ghia by for Colin to have a gander at.

I’m sure I’m missing some minor things we did to get it running, but I don’t exactly recall them or in what order they occurred. Tape-repaired a NLA hose, something with the auto trans mount, etc. Long story short, it runs, and gained a lot of value in about 5 hours. Much thanks to Colin!

Next steps: reconnect CV joints, adjust brakes, and test drive

When I get back into town, I'll resume the photo details as I work on the bus. I'm in brain dump mode only while away.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Shifter Refresh

I've been travelling a lot over the last month, but I was home for three days this past weekend and was able to take some time to improve the status of the '79. It still makes an awful racket when running due to a loose/worn/something not quite right with the front transmission mount. But what the heck, I reconnected the CV joints and went to back it out of the garage, just to see how the transmission behaved in what little time I had before venturing off to Austin for the week.

Unfortunately, the shifter had other ideas as the button wouldn't depress, keeping me stuck in Park. Guessing correctly, that this was a rust/lack of lubrication issue from sitting for 11 years, I pulled the shifter, disassembled it for cleaning, gave it a little paint job to prevent further corrosion, and lubed the slider. It went from this...

to this...

I'm waiting until I get home this weekend to reinstall and give the bus a test drive around the block, but the button works flawlessly now and I don't anticipate any hangups shifting between gears...at least not from the shifter end of things. It's not a full blown restoration of the shifter, but that's not what I'm going for here. Just trying to get things functional at this point.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Added Seats Reply with quote

I now have seats:

I also bled the brakes and backed it in and out of the garage. I want to do a valve adjustment (hopefully tomorrow) then a proper test drive will ensue.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Been a while since I updated last...

I did take the bus on a test drive and was able to make one 1/2-mile lap despite a serious lack of power. On the second lap, I lost all ability to go forward and had to reverse the bus about 1/4 mile home and then when I reached the little hill my house is on, I could only reverse a portion of the way up it before I couldn't get the torque needed to go further. So...did a little research and a transmission rebuild is in order. Looks like gaskets, clutch kits, and brake bands will set me back about $200 or so. I'll give it a go over the fall/winter as it'll be fun to rebuild the transmission and it seems within my ability. I think that's the cutoff point for me. If this doesn't get it to a reasonable usable state, I'll sell it along or start parting it out.

In other news, I made a little progress on getting the title via the DOL. I submitted a public records request to get the last registered owner's address and sent him a certified letter requesting him to complete a release of interest form. Of course, it's known that the guy has died a long while ago after abandoning the bus, so it came back not deliverable, as expected. Today, I took it to the Washington State Patrol for an inspection, the guy inspected it, but couldn't release the report until I take the returned certified letter to the DOL and get them to issue an approval to inspect form which I can then take back to inspector and get the report, go back to the DOL, and get a title.

Your head spinning yet? A very circuitous process, indeed.

camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Great rescue!

That's a really sweet Bus!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

I like the stripey look this bus has, but man, you've got your work cut out for you. Clearly exposed to a LOT of moisture. You're going to find corrosion everywhere. Honestly though, if you can get the best of it, you'll have a pretty cool bus, there!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

I agree, I love the stripes on this thing!

I just saw the comments about the fuel pump. I would have to say, from my experience, that I'd at least recommend having a spare fuel pump on hand...

Unless you just started dating a girl and want to impress her by singlehandedly pushing your bus off the side of the road with everyone in it when it dies in heavy traffic after a fireworks show because the fuel pump finally died even though it ran fine for a few months after resurrecting it.

Ask me how I know.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Project: CV Joints Reply with quote

Well, I'm now starting the rebuild process on the transmission. I've got the master rebuild kit for it so now I just have to drop the engine/trans combo and get underway. That'll happen over the next week or so. While I'm in here though I might as well rebuild the CV joints/drive axles:

I also decided to put a video together of it too. Might help out the next stooge.

Link

And all done, ready to be put back in when the time comes:

Cheers.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

So begins the trans rebuild. First got to get the engine and transmission out:

I remember when I used to have Ratwell up on the computer next to me to make sure I didn't miss anything. After five or six drops now over the years, it's nice to just jump right into it like you're changing your oil. The only surprise this time was just how heavy the engine/trans combo was together; the center of gravity was noticeably further towards the trans end than with a manual transmission.

Trans has now been separated and hoisted onto the workbench and is draining fluids overnight. This is the kit I ended up with:

I recently made some upgrades to my blasting cabinet so I decided to test things out by powder coating some of the tin. I think I'll put the heater control boxes into my '76 with the dump tubes as that's my baby. The gloss black is definitely too shiny, a semi gloss would've been better, but still...so pretty.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

That powder coated tin looks fantastic. Are you using the Eastwood kit? What's your set up like?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That powder coated tin looks fantastic. Are you using the Eastwood kit? What's your set up like?

Yeah, Eastwood gun and, I think, their powder for this application, though I usually get my other colors through Prismatic Powders. I blast it at home in a modified Harbor Freight cabinet via an 80 gallon Ingersoll-Rand compressor, blow the dust off with compressed air, clean the surface with the Duplicolor paint prep, then apply powder generously (once I have the surface coated, I go over it again).

I built a little enclosure to apply the powder coating in, but still need to modify it a bit. I want to put a filter element and a fan in the back to draw the powder out. As it stands now, I have quite a bit of recirculation when applying the powder. My oven is simply an old free one from Craigslist. I've been looking at maybe doctoring up my own, but with better internal dimensions. We'll see, but not anytime soon.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

That's a nice set up ya got there. I have the same Harbour Freight blast cabinet. I'm jealous of your air compressor. I don't have 220/240 volts in the garage. I need to crack my wallet and have an electrician run some power to it.

Someday.. Smile

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rescuing a 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Well, after two journeys into the transmission, I haven't been able to identify the issue causing the lack of forward gears. The first time in I found a broken diaphragm spring in the forward clutch, replaced that along with all the seals and reinstalled. No luck. The second time into the transa nothing seemed out of place. A transmission specialist could probably find the issue in five minutes.

So I'm placing it up for sale to move it along to the next person who can maybe invest in it a bit to take it to the next level. For now, I have an engine rebuild to get underway on my other bus. Interested parties, please go here.

If it doesn't sell, I'll go ahead and pull the transmission again and put it in with a transmission specialist, get the engine humming, and relist it, albeit at a noticeably higher price.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: