Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

outer tie rods
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: outer tie rods Reply with quote

Still getting my 2002 Mv back in shape and I am told I need outer tie rods.
I have watched a hundred youtube videos and think I can tackle this myself. My question is when I go online I see tie rods priced anywhere from 15 dollars a piece to 50 -90 dollars a piece.

I also saw that Europarts sells an entire kit, inner and outer , both sides w/ boots for $140.00

What should I go with? are the $15 dollar tie rod ends good?

Thanks
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

Without knowing the brand, we couldn't say.

I buy a fair amount of parts from FCP euro because they offer a lifetime warranty on all their parts (even consumables like wiper blades...), good pricing and service; they have these FEBI ends for $13.69ea; I've had good luck with FEBI parts.

Tie rod end part numbers:

Right 701419812D
Left 701419811E

In my experience, inner ends last a long time if the boot isn't torn. I typically only replace the worn outers and have not had any issues with this practice. Sometimes you cannot separate the inner and outer and must replace them as a unit. You might check if you can loosen yours before ordering.

If you can replace just the outer, try to take a measurement so you can put it back together as close as possible to minimize the impact on your alignment. You will probably still want to get it re-aligned.

Last edited by markcm2 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

Delphi $15

Moog $40

TRW $41

Beck Arnley
$54
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

Skip the cheap ones, Amy - with the $200 you save doing this (come back here for help) buy yourselve(S) a nice dinner, but go with a Moog or TRW part.

If you are comfortable, put down your zip to see if we have anyone in the EV Club nearby on this job.

You will need to buy/rent/borrow

Good jack
Jackstands

to safely get the car up so you can go under it.
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

Thank you ! 06759

After deciding not to sell it, the van is coming along nicely. Soon I will post a report on all the stuff done to it !
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

amyshannon wrote:
Thank you ! 06759

After deciding not to sell it, the van is coming along nicely. Soon I will post a report on all the stuff done to it !

Ha! Blew right by you on way from Yale last week - to crash my better half hotel on her business trip. I stopped to help one of my Volvo friends on that trip too. I think we have some decent presence in these parts - check the Vanagon App for local resources, too.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

The Febi ones are good. It'll literally last you 10 years.

The tie rod assembly is literally like just about what most German cars use all they do is literally adjust the overall length of the inner and the diameter of the outer. An e46 tie rod will bolt up to a Eurovan (it's the wrong length though). Same for a Boxter or Audi.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

Remember to get the tie rod plus end close to the original length, then drive slowly and locally to a front end alignment appointment.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: outer tie rods Reply with quote

And use anti-seize on the threads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: