Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vert rear seat re-upholstery
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Vert rear seat re-upholstery Reply with quote

I'm about to re-upholster the rear seat of my 71 vert. I have new horse hair pads and TMI upholstery. Just doing some research on the install.

Unlike the sedans, where the upholstery for the seat bottom (particularly the front edge) is held to the frame by triangular barbs, for the vert rear seat bottoms, the front edge is stapled to the metal front.

I don't have a stapler capable of punching thru metal. I'm afraid that just gluing it wont hold up well over time.

What have others who've DIY'd the rear seat bottom done?

Thanks!
Byas
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vert rear seat re-upholstery Reply with quote

Ok, correction -- upon looking more closely, there is actually a wooden strip into which the seat cover is stapled.

Still, I'd appreciate any links to those who've done this before. I wasn't able to find a link on theSamba or on YouTube, but there may be better search words than what I've used.

Regards,
Byas
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vert rear seat re-upholstery Reply with quote

Bnam, I just did the rears on my '78 and it was about as easy at it comes. I don't have any tricks to tell you because it was just a straight remove and re-install. If you have done any upholstery work before, you will find it simple. Staple the front, pull it tight in the back, mark your holes for the latch, and you are good to go.
Good luck!

Click to view image
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert rear seat re-upholstery Reply with quote

The seat itself is pretty straight forward. I found it easier to get right than the front seats.
The part that can be tricky is the area behind the rear seat on a vert. Especially if it's missing pieces/torn up and you have no reference to go off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert rear seat re-upholstery Reply with quote

My staple gun wouldn't penetrate the wood so I used small sheet metal screws instead of staples. Worked great for me.
Herb55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vert rear seat re-upholstery Reply with quote

Greetings:
I, too am having issues with the rear seat on my 71 super vert..Parts missing, no details, etc...
It appears that there is a masonite board that covers the back seat, that the rug gets glued to..On the top of the seat there is a rail that the rug attaches to, but where does the bottom go to?..Does it attach to the floor?
Does anyone have any pics of this area assembled correctly?

Thanx
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: