Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official... Fake Meyers Manx items
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
fullup12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From his description of the body and where his friend is from, I'm guessing I have one of the other bodies. I don't see this as any different than the "tribute" cars selling on B-J for six figures (other than the selling price). As long as you are honest about it.
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Fake badges Reply with quote

This guy has been passing these off as original old stock , he will break a pin and distress them , also does it with SR badges check his seller feedback he has sold a bunch same way , must be casting them , unlimited supply.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOSE-BADGE-MEYERS-MANX-NEW...mp;vxp=mtr
calvin767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
I have a problem with this buggy. He states up front his buddy copied an original body and made a few, this being one of them. Even though it is a clone, he has put a Meyers Manx hood badge on it. IMO, that is wrong.

Makes me wonder what happened to the other bodies his buddy made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Other-none-1973...ars_Trucks

I guess we only care because of our regard for Bruce. If it were a Speedster replica with 'Porsche' badges on it or a Cobra kit with Ford and Shelby badges no one would be at all bothered... Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't think that nobody is upset about Cobra kits with Cobra badges or Mustangs with GT350 emblems. I own a real GT350 and have been around these cars for 45 or so years. Fakes being passed of as the real thing was a huge problem in the Shelby world. In the early days there were literally hundreds of law suits and unhappy owners. The Shelby Club took it seriously, kept a registry and worked dillegently to make it accurate. Today it is nearly impossible to pass of a fake to a buyer that knows to ask the club for guidance.

One of the problems was the fact that one person would make a replica and present it honestly as a replica. The next owner (or 2nd, or 3rd) would not be as honest and pass it off as the real thing. Some of the stories would amaze you.

So there is nothing wrong with being aggressive with keeping the marque pure. A Manx brings about twice what a clone does these days. The story is somewhat different than the Shelby story, but more like it than most Manx people realize.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
I have a problem with this buggy. He states up front his buddy copied an original body and made a few, this being one of them. Even though it is a clone, he has put a Meyers Manx hood badge on it. IMO, that is wrong.

Makes me wonder what happened to the other bodies his buddy made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Other-none-1973...ars_Trucks

It's a shame because it's a beautiful buggy, if I bought it all I'd need to do is throw the front bumper away and it'd be good to go. Obviously it shouldn't have a Meyers Manx badge on it (I guess all of those badges that were going on eBay a couple of years back had to end up somewhere!) but at least the guy's being completely honest about things.

I guess we only care because of our regard for Bruce. If it were a Speedster replica with 'Porsche' badges on it or a Cobra kit with Ford and Shelby badges no one would be at all bothered... Rolling Eyes

Maybe if someone had a quiet word with the guy?

What do people think of these badges, freely available for fitment to Manx copies in England. Bruce saw them on his recent visit and didn't seem at all bothered.

It's back same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Other-none-/291...1480422784

That buggy without the badge is a very very nice clone.
With the badge it's a counterfeit. Doesn't matter that he says its a fake the badge has only one purpose and that's to deceive.

I won't even comment on admitting to making a plug from a Manx.

Be Big,
AMAC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope the buyer read carefully about it not being original. I also do not agree that he put a Manx badge on it. Put a Wolfsburg sticker on it, or anything else.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy Brian wrote:
I just hope the buyer read carefully about it not being original. I also do not agree that he put a Manx badge on it. Put a Wolfsburg sticker on it, or anything else.

More than likely the buyer will continue the fraud. Who's to say what he'll tell the next buyer.

Be Big,
AMAC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official... Fake Meyers Manx items Reply with quote

I have to post this one...Has the Manx badge on the nose but definitely NOT a meyers manx

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1933960
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooterperth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official... Fake Meyers Manx items Reply with quote

Would you say this badge is aceptable?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: