Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine keeps cutting out...
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Clark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

I have an electrical fault.
Driving along, then all of a sudden all engine dies as if the battery positive has come off, turn the ignition key off then on again and she starts up again.
Very intermitant.

Just wondering where to start.

Cheers
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

I'd look for loose connections at the coil first.

What year? Early ignition switches can have problems but my experience has been that it usually does it when starting, not really when driving along
Jim Clark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

Hi Erik,

Checked all wires to the coil and all ok.

Its a 1968.

Cheers

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

id replace ign switch ...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:

No you wouldn't. It's a couple hundred bucks Laughing you would at least diagnose it...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

Jim, is it fuel injected or carbs? If carbs, also look around and make sure the choke wires aren't grounding, the condenser wire isn't grounding, etc.

How does the ignition feel in the column? Does it feel nice and tight as always, or is it starting to feel loose in the column?

Do you have the plastic cap on the opposite side of the key switch? If yes and you remove it, does the ignition seem looser in the column?

You could disconnect your coil from your ignition, run a temporary wire from another source and see if the problem goes away. The switch is expensive and kind of a pain to replace, but at least they are available nowadays (aftermarket, not 100% correct)
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:

No you wouldn't. It's a couple hundred bucks Laughing you would at least diagnose it...

SOrry.. sometimes I forget.. people will actually pay that kinda money for something.. so simple..
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:

Really?...I mean...yes...for sure i would diagnose before spending a penny.

But...yes...the 68-70 switch IS unique....but do none of these switches work or is there a problem with how they are made?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,1968...witch,4700

Rockauto has five models for 68-70...the most expensive of which is $45....the least is under $12.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-905-865-A

Or this one from CIP1...$24

Or is it that none of the late re-pops will work with FI...or something similar?

Granted...they may all be junk....just wondering where the $200 price tag comes from. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

I would run a hot wire with switch to the coil... right off battery - fuse- switch then to coil.. and problem is gone after a few weeks or how ever long you know it is or is not fixed... if it fixes it.. then I would hook the wire you had going to coil to the IGN ON wire as close to ign switch and try that.. if it dies hooked up like that. its not the switch
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
Erik G wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:

SOrry.. sometimes I forget.. people will actually pay that kinda money for something.. so simple..

Last edited by Erik G on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

installed quite few in my time ..but it was a long time ago..
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Erik G wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:

Really?.. Ray

No, I'm saying he personally would not. He's a cheap ass and would find a way to rig it. Nothing wrong with that, I went for a long time with mine bandaided in my '64

I also don't know that 68 is definitely the cut-off year for early vs late ignitions. My 68 for sure had the early column, and those are $200+ and not what's available at rock auto

It was not an American car, it was a 68 with factory carbs...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
I would run a hot wire with switch to the coil... right off battery - fuse- switch then to coil.. and problem is gone after a few weeks or how ever long you know it is or is not fixed... if it fixes it.. then I would hook the wire you had going to coil to the IGN ON wire as close to ign switch and try that.. if it dies hooked up like that. its not the switch

agreed
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

Quote:
No, I'm saying he personally would not. He's a cheap ass and would find a way to rig it. Nothing wrong with that, I went for a long time with mine bandaided in my '64

I also don't know that 68 is definitely the cut-off year for early vs late ignitions. My 68 for sure had the early column, and those are $200+ and not what's available at rock auto

It was not an American car, it was a 68 with factory carbs...

Laughing
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine keeps cutting out... Reply with quote

All the above advice is good. If none of it solves your problem though, couldn't hurt to check the head-end of your spark plug wires. I had a similar problem as you for almost 2 years that left me stranded many times. I never suspected it would be the spark plug wires.

As it turns out, newer spark plug cables (even the bosch ones) seem to warp and/or melt easier over time with heat and you may get intermittent cut-out problems as a result. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I've had to deal with it a few times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: