Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A couple of lessons learned on an EVC refrigerator upgrade
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdunn35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: A couple of lessons learned on an EVC refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

I now have about two years on my replacement of the 3-way OEM fridge with a Vitrifrigo C60iac (similar to TruckFridge TF12). The "ac" at the end of the model designation means it can run on shore power in addition to 12v.

Lesson 1: These things perform really well. When running on clean power, either 12v or shore, they work as well as any residential fridge, and are very quiet.

Lesson 2: Had I known I would be adding the higher capacity coach battery and solar panels a year later, I would have saved > $100 and just bought the 12v version. I haven't used shore power in quite a while, and I can run my fridge indefinitely on solar/battery.

Lesson 3: (potentially my only regret) Had I known we would replace my wife's compact car with a crossover that has a 12v outlet in the back, I think I might have instead gone with one of the portable compressor fridges, such as National Luna or several others, because now I really wish I had that same capability when we take the crossover on road trips. This is pretty much the GoWesty approach. Plenty of scope for different installation configurations, and it would be great to quickly pull it out of the EVC and throw it in the back of the crossover.

In short: if you're thinking of replacing that OEM unit (mine never really worked great on any of the fuel sources anyway), *strongly* consider a portable unit, and if you have or might have solar, think about saving the extra money for AC power and put it towards your solar setup.

On and end note - it's not a terribly difficult replacement. There are some pretty good guides already on the internet.

End of free advice (worth every penny)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of lessons learned on an EVC refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! I'm considering upgrading as well. A few questions:

1) Do portable 12v fridges plug into a cigarette lighter outlet? Or do you need to wire something specific for these?
2) How quickly does your fridge cool down to appropriate levels from not being cooled down at all?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of lessons learned on an EVC refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Applause

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdunn35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of lessons learned on an EVC refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

milkandrelish wrote:
Thanks for the update! I'm considering upgrading as well. A few questions:

1) Do portable 12v fridges plug into a cigarette lighter outlet? Or do you need to wire something specific for these?
2) How quickly does your fridge cool down to appropriate levels from not being cooled down at all?

From the Expedition Portal round up of portable fridges:
"Wiring: This goes back to number 1 above. Factory wiring is often too small to handle the current draw required by almost all fridge freezers on the market -which tend to start at 2.5 amps and increase from there. This means you will likely need to run a separate wire from your battery to the fridge in order to accommodate the increased electrical demands."

They are talking about typical 12v accessory outlets running from the starting battery. When you pull the original fridge out, it is pretty easy to upsize the 12v wiring to the fridge (which IIRC was sufficient gauge for the Vitrifrigo draw) with new if you feel the need. Go Westy's fridge elimination kit and related offerings for portable 12v fridges *imply* you can use any of the existing 12v receptacles in the Eurovan. All of these fridge's will tell you the max draw which you can then cross reference to the wire gauge you have available. Google DC wiring gauge chart. But, every Eurovan conversion story I've seen uses the original fridge DC wiring. In any event, I'd imagine you want to put a new receptacle in as the original 12v fridge wiring was on terminals.

I'd take a look at this: https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-guide-portable-fridge-freezers/

Finally, when I start it from say 65 degrees ambient, the fridge will be in the high 30's in less than an hour for sure. Even on hot days, it hasn't taken "too long" to get down to usable temps - I just haven't timed it.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of lessons learned on an EVC refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

We just took a Dometic 47-liter drawer-style fridge mounted to the floor (quickly-built aluminum frame using the previous cooler seat holes) for a test spin this past weekend. Really kept things cold, was quite quiet, and with the solar panel charging as needed, the auxiliary battery kept up easily. We're pleased. Nice upgrade. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: