Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mertzman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently installing a 2.5L (151ci) Chevy motor from a 1991 S10 pickup into a '85 Vanagon. First of all, yes, I am crazy. However the original carb'd '81 2.5L Chevy motor died a horrible death so we're going for the injected '91 version. Bellhousings are different, carb to injection, wiring loom, mounts etc... big project...

I am currently making the adapter plate and need a diagram with measurements of the bolt pattern and crank centre for the Transaxle.

I have one already for the Chevy motor:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general...block1.jpg

I appreciate the above is looking at a tranny with the Chevy pattern but I can mirror the image as I draw out the diagram onto my steel plate.

Any help would be much appreciated.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Well .. You could call Kennedy to see if what you need is on their shelf. I find that my time is worth more than I'd save trying to make certain items.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

when i've made custom adapters in the past.
I use the transmission bell housing to take my measurements off from.

I do not think what you are asking for is out there. but I may be wrong...

best luck..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Mertzman wrote:
Hello,

First of all, yes, I am crazy.

Help? You're on the right track. Embrace the crazy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Bell housings change for transmission differences in an engine family line.

The block is most often the same.
Granted, I don't know Chevy 2.5 specifically but.......

Unbolt your bell housings and swap them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

In their VW/Porsche section, Kennedy lists the old 2.5L Chevy Nova and Pontiac Iron Duke engines as engine options. Worth checking. I doubt the bolt pattern changed to '91.

RonC
gsmith58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Hi, I've read on this post so much for helpful info for working on the van but never signed up. Saw this and could not help myself.
The wife and I have a 82 Vanagon with a 2.8L 60* V6 in it. The conversion was done quite a few years back but the individual passed away so the van sat in NM for many years till an estate sale. Long story short I cannot tell you the bolt pattern but I was told that the conversion kit came from Howell.
http://howellefi.com/
I don't think they sell the kit anymore but maybe a phone call would help. That's it the info I was given is correct!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope it all helped and you get your info. Good luck!!
ps Sometime in the future we will upgrade to the 3.4L, Same block so should be easy to swap.
Mertzman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Well .. You could call Kennedy to see if what you need is on their shelf. I find that my time is worth more than I'd save trying to make certain items.

I shall give them a call but given our time frame we would prefer to fab ourselves.

danfromsyr wrote:
when i've made custom adapters in the past.
I use the transmission bell housing to take my measurements off from.

I do not think what you are asking for is out there. but I may be wrong...

best luck..

I believe you may be correct. I have the transaxle bellhousing to measure from and have drawn up my best measurements but I'd like to cross check with an actual schematic. Measure twice and cut once and all that!

jimf909 wrote:
Mertzman wrote:
Hello,

First of all, yes, I am crazy.

Help? You're on the right track. Embrace the crazy.

Thanks for the encouragement, not that any was needed on this crazy adventure lol.

djkeev wrote:
Bell housings change for transmission differences in an engine family line.

The block is most often the same.
Granted, I don't know Chevy 2.5 specifically but.......

Unbolt your bell housings and swap them.

Dave

That was my first thought, but it was not to be! Our old adapter plate was geared for a 1981 iron duke, using the 90 degree small block Chevy bell housing bolt pattern directly to the VW Transaxle using it's bellhousing. Our new motor uses the 60 degree V6 Chevy pattern. I did consider using the bellhousing from the S10 and making an adapter to the Transaxle but the depth was totally different so settled on a plate as the easiest to engineer solution. I already have a custom flywheel, Chevy centre pressed into a VW outer from the previous engine conversion that was in the bus when it was purchased.

snowsyncro wrote:
In their VW/Porsche section, Kennedy lists the old 2.5L Chevy Nova and Pontiac Iron Duke engines as engine options. Worth checking. I doubt the bolt pattern changed to '91.

RonC

Our original Iron Duke was from an '81 Chevy Citation, using the Small block V8 pattern, our later '91 from an S10 uses the V6 pattern. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what the deal is. I'm not sure when or if the patterns are different between Nova, S10, Citation etc...

I have seen an adapter between Small block and V6 online, That could be adapted in to my current small block to Transaxle adapter with a cut and weld...

gsmith58 wrote:
Hi, I've read on this post so much for helpful info for working on the van but never signed up. Saw this and could not help myself.
The wife and I have a 82 Vanagon with a 2.8L 60* V6 in it. The conversion was done quite a few years back but the individual passed away so the van sat in NM for many years till an estate sale. Long story short I cannot tell you the bolt pattern but I was told that the conversion kit came from Howell.
http://howellefi.com/
I don't think they sell the kit anymore but maybe a phone call would help. That's it the info I was given is correct!

Hope it all helped and you get your info. Good luck!!
ps Sometime in the future we will upgrade to the 3.4L, Same block so should be easy to swap.

Thank you for the information and the story! Nice to see someone else was nuts enough to do a Chevy converstion on one of these things. By the looks of it, it was a great job they did on the plate there. I'll research Howell as well as Kennedy, but I'd still prefer to get a schematic and make one myself, mainly due to cost.

Thank you to everyone who has responded.
gsmith58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Found this. I can not open it since I am at work and still have 2 weeks left. Says 3800 which is a 90* but the bell housing mounting is the same?? It's worth a look for a pattern. I will check it out at home. Happy hunting.
http://www.3800pro.com/forum/general-tech/30407-60-degree-block-dimensions.html
Mertzman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

gsmith58 wrote:
Found this. I can not open it since I am at work and still have 2 weeks left. Says 3800 which is a 90* but the bell housing mounting is the same?? It's worth a look for a pattern. I will check it out at home. Happy hunting.
http://www.3800pro.com/forum/general-tech/30407-60-degree-block-dimensions.html

Thank you! That is a clearer diagram than the one I am using. Much appreciated.

I'm still looking for the VW equivalent drawing.

I have spoken to Kennedy Engineering and they can make a plate for $240 USD but shipping and then importation in to Canada will be $$$$ as they use UPS!
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Hello Mertzman , its awesome to see someone using this
GM engine , its cheap , easy to get parts for
and is a really good motor. GM makes many other motors that are also excellent choices.
Burley Motorsports is also into Chevy S10's and Chevy Silverado's so its
exciting for us to see someone implementing simple GM technology into there vanagon.
Keep up the good work.
Let us know if we can be of any help , sorry I don't have that diagram but your in excellent hands at Kennedy engineering.
I won a lot of races using their adapters.
We'll look forward to watching your project move forward Popcorn

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

Sounds cool to me!

Most great things start with onlookers calling out questions of sanity. My interp's always been they're PO'ed for not thinking of it themselves or, more likely, too scared and short-sighted to think so wildly.

Mostly, I wanted to say my standard "Welcome to the Madness" to Mertzman and gsmith58! You might note that "crazy" fits right in with that welcome...

Good Luck! Can you shoehorn two engines in there? Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mertzman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

The S10 motor is now in the van Wink

Lukily our old Chevy/VW flywheel fits the new deal as well.

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: '85 getting Chevy power. Transaxle bolt pattern diagram needed! Reply with quote

So you've already made up an adapter? I was going to say, one of us yanks could easily receive your shipment via UPS ground and resend to you via USPS. It's not a big deal .. I send stuff international pretty regularly.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: