Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx Meets CT DMV!
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.konney@alliedprintin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Hi All!

Well after a lot of work getting ready for Connecticut DMV my wife, the dog and I took the hour long trip to DMV for the inspection.

Front and Rear mudflaps
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chicken wire over motor

I ended up stuffing S/S kitchen scrub pads in the exhaust to make it quieter, and they worked great!

We passed!

This was the end result after we got home!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Nice buggy!!

Looks like you are missing some parts in the last picture; like mudflaps, engine cover Wink
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Do whatever it takes. Good looking buggy!
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Good for you.
What a pointless exercise. The inspector knew that everything was temp so why put the taxpayer thru that BS.

AMAC
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

The CT DMV Composite vehicle rules require all the "add on's" to pass inspection. One of the rules is that you can't be able to touch anything hot or moving. That is the reason to enclose the whole engine. Great job! Now have fun with the Manx. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA

Last edited by Tom_Kathleen on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Rolling on floor laughing. The chicken wire is an especially nice touch. Years ago, I had an AH 3000 with 3 dual throat Webers - when I'd take it to NJ for emissions testing - I'd have to replace entire manifold and put the 2 Solex back on for the test.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Please explain why you have to cover the engine with wire screen.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
fiaroadster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

" One of the rules is that you can't be able to touch anything hot or moving. That is the reason to enclose the whole engine. "
Ever touch the tailpipe on your daily driver?
What about ERA Replicas 427 Cobras, made right there in CT, with side pipes!
Soooooooooooooooo stupid!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

...we are the Government, and we're here to help.

bnc
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

bottom line: it's registered...

My dad couldn't register ours in Hawaii do to reconstruction law (repealed several years ago)

Both in Japan and Germany I have to do some changes for inspections, Japan was EVERY two years and Germany is EVERY year.

The inspector in Germany asked about the engine cover and I just showed him pictures of all the buggies that don't have them and he said..OK!....

I just saw a post from a buggy club in Feldbach, Austria, most of the engines have been covered.

Great you got it done and hope you don't have to do it again...but on the other hand the inspections keep my buggy safe, I get a low price alignment check, headlight alignment check and all running gear components are checked. Oh and I pass emissions with a 1904cc with dual HPMX 40s.

Good to keep 'em on the road!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
mark.konney@alliedprintin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts!

They were actually very nice there!

They know NONE of that stuff was going to stay on the Buggy! They had a little laugh about it!

One of the inspectors let me come under the lift and showed me the front end.
He was very impressed, that for a 1960 chassis it was in great shape - no rust! He has failed Buggys in the past because of that.

All in all, I can see that they're just doing their job. Some of the items are important.... seatbelts, lights, horn, 2 1/2" washers for seat bolt down, wipers.
The steel firewall, mud flaps and chicken wire to prevent a pedestrian from being burned or getting their hand in the belt was a bit much!

I'm just glad it's done!!
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Mark - they are never done! Glad you had an easy time at DMV, you probably showed up more prepaired than most and they like that. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
bugvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

Glad you were able pass. Great looking buggy! Cool
shermer-high
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

fiaroadster wrote:
" One of the rules is that you can't be able to touch anything hot or moving. That is the reason to enclose the whole engine. "
Ever touch the tailpipe on your daily driver?
What about ERA Replicas 427 Cobras, made right there in CT, with side pipes!
Soooooooooooooooo stupid!

Cant touch anything hot like exhaust and engine. My argument has always been what about motorcycles. Not to mention it's not yours don't touch it.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

mark.konney@alliedprintin wrote:
Thanks for all the posts!

They were actually very nice there!

They know NONE of that stuff was going to stay on the Buggy! They had a little laugh about it!

One of the inspectors let me come under the lift and showed me the front end.
He was very impressed, that for a 1960 chassis it was in great shape - no rust! He has failed Buggys in the past because of that.

All in all, I can see that they're just doing their job. Some of the items are important.... seatbelts, lights, horn, 2 1/2" washers for seat bolt down, wipers.
The steel firewall, mud flaps and chicken wire to prevent a pedestrian from being burned or getting their hand in the belt was a bit much!

I'm just glad it's done!!

You got it done! Seat belts in a '60? Wipers in a roadster? Shocked At least the CT inspectors understand that much of the excess was a temporary show preformed just for their entertainment. Laughing
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

mark.konney@alliedprintin wrote:
Hi All!

Well after a lot of work getting ready for Connecticut DMV my wife, the dog and I took the hour long trip to DMV for the inspection.

Front and Rear mudflaps

Chicken wire over motor

I ended up stuffing S/S kitchen scrub pads in the exhaust to make it quieter, and they worked great!

We passed!

This was the end result after we got home!

Okay. So taking off the required items made your vehicle illegal. And you posted this on a public forum.

Good work.

bnc
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx Meets CT DMV! Reply with quote

My Mini-T lacks an outside rear view mirror and front shock absorbers. There, Washington knows my automotive sins. The state patrol hasn't seemed concerned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: