Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear hatch panel installation advice
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

A while back I removed my rear hatch panel while hunting for the ground wire from the latch mechanism. All four of the plastic upper clips had come off the panel and were still in the steel receivers in the hatch, and I assume they had been like this for a while. I glued them back onto the panel by using the glue footprint from the factory as my guide, but now I'm wondering if I oriented them correctly. I'm attempting to reinstall the panel but I can't figure out how to possibly get the clips to engage with the receivers...all the while holding the piece over my head and not swearing like a drunken sailor.

Has anyone else faced this issue or have some tips for getting this thing reinstalled?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

I just stumbled upon this thread which explains that it might be a two person job. I think I re-glued those clips correctly, though I have no idea how to verify.

http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread.php?6988293-2003-Eurovan-tailgate-trim

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

The rear panel is a PIA to reinstall by yourself. I find that with two people, it's much easier.
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

So, does anyone know if the thin "J" clips should be glued near the center of the panel or the thicker "K" clips?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

I re-glued the J clips in the center, but then again I'm still unable to reinstall the hatch, so perhaps I have it backwards.

y u rune klassik?
Jgueld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

Had to do this a few times. For single person installation the trick is to partially remove the plastic side trim on the rear window - these are held in with clips. With the side trim hanging off the window, one can push the rear panel under the side trim to get the right angle for the panel clips to engage. This worked well for me.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

I just bought one of the Sony XAV-AX100 Single DIN head units with 6" display and I'm considering installing a back up camera.

Are there any additional tips and tricks or instructions for removing the rear hatch door interior panel on the 2001-2003 eurovan weekender?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

I came up with this for removing the eurovan rear hatch interior trim panel:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
1 - Right frame trim
2 - Felt strip
Self-adhesive glued on back of trim
3 - Left frame trim
4 - Expanding pins
Removing: pry off
Installing: press in
5 - Spring clip
6 - Clip
left and right
7 - Clip
left and right
8 - Expanding nut
Remains in tailgate
9 - Phillips screw
Secures clips -6- and -7-
10 - Phillips screw
Secures molded trim -13-
11 - Banjo bolt
12 - Clamp
Expand to install molded trim
13 - Molded trim panel
Removing:
Press trim -16- up and unhook
Remove Phillips screws -15- and unhook strap
Pry out expanding pins -4-, unclip left frame trim -3-, right frame trim -1-.
Remove screws -10-.
Pull molded trim out slightly from tailgate in lower area and press upward out of clamps -12-.
Expand clamps -12-.
After installing molded trim, pull auxiliary wedges out of clamp -12-
14 - Strap
Removing: Remove Phillips screws -15- unhook strap from mounting hole.
15 - Phillips screw
Two- piece
16 - Trim
Press upward, unhook to remove
Clamps, expanding

Quote:
Expand clamps -1- with shop made auxiliary wedges -2- (wood or plastic).
Install molded trim -3-.
Pull out auxiliary wedges -2- or, when molded trim is installed, auxiliary wedges will fall out by themselves.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

Any tips for getting the screws that hold the rear curtain rod in place to reliably thread back in? I find them quite resistant at times. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
I just bought one of the Sony XAV-AX100 Single DIN head units with 6" display and I'm considering installing a back up camera.

Are there any additional tips and tricks or instructions for removing the rear hatch door interior panel on the 2001-2003 eurovan weekender?

If you mount the camera like I suggested in the other thread you won't need to remove the hatch panel. The boot is very restrictive inside if the wiring has any plugs

y u rune klassik?
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

Thought I would add my recent experience putting the tailgate panel back in. I tried the VW service manual ‘wedge’ approach as previously listed in this thread. It didn’t work for me- the plastic clips got wedged instead of pushing the wedges out. Maybe my wedges were too blunt. In any case plan B worked.

I used small wood blocks, between 3/8 and 1/2in thick, so 7/16. These were put on the sides, see pic. Thickness and placement of the blocks is important- the right balance to project the metal clip far enough but still be able to be pushed out when the plastic clip engages the metal clip.

The string in the pic is to be able to fish out the spacers after they pop out and fall into the now nearly closed tailgate cavity. As someone else mentioned, mounting the panel needs to be done with the hatch as closed as possible so the weight of the panel doesn’t pry the plastic clips off. A helper is needed to do this. Screw in the 4 side screws while in this position.

As for glue, I didn’t have good results with 2 part epoxy sticking to the remaining old VW adhesive. Someone else mentioned JP Weld and that worked for me, even though it seems it is some variant of a 2 part epoxy.

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch panel installation advice Reply with quote

I haven't had much "van work" work time in this past year and that will likely continue for quite a while, but when I do eventually get back to it, one of the things I want to do is make custom trim/cards for many/most of the interior panels on one or both of our vans (for both aesthetic and storage-related reasons).

Related to that, these little plastic "trim clips" drive me crazy -- always breaking, either directly or by coming loose from whatever they're supposed to be anchored to. I usually come away from the process (of pulling one off and reinstalling it) feeling like the method of attachment is a rather pathetic arrangement. Does anybody else feel that way?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: