Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 One-Owner Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

More progress:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glass bead blasted and painted with Rustoleum galvanized paint.
Next we will repair the crack in the top, and get the canvas installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the crack in the top. This is just above the rearmost inner wood tack strip:

I mixed up some resin and filled in the crack but for some reason it did not adhere. I am peeling off the repair and am planning on finding a gel coat repair kit and will see how that goes. I was picking at some rust and found some evidence of a mouse house. After a minute of digging with my screw driver I came up with this:

Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

More progress. We cut some screen and glued it to the inside of the luggage rack, installed the seal and mounted the piece. There were two rusty areas. They got cleaned up and self etch primered. We picked up some marine two part epoxy and filled the crack in the pop top. I didn't take any photos of it when I had it filled with resin. It was too disappointing. I think one more application of the epoxy and I will be happy with it.

We cut some of the rust out out of the rear apron and battery tray. When we were in town we went to Home Depot and Tractor Supply looking for some 18 gauge sheet metal with no luck. I will pick some up from Bangor Steel Monday. I still need to order a battery tray. I will make the rest of the pieces needed to fix the rust holes.

While we wait for the epoxy to dry we started installing the canvas tent. This one is the nice one from Bus Depot. It looks great and seems like it will work well:

We need to get the tack strips out in the sun to get them workable. Hopefully we will get the top finished and installed tomorrow. We will see.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

With the luggage rack on:

Much better:

A little sanding when dry.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

We made some progress:

We still have to attach the canvas to the roof of the bus. It looks like there is going to go on much nicer then when we did the top on our bus. I am hoping we can get this done after work.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

This bus is in the right hands, nice work so far.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

Pinetops,
It is a nice bus, and we are making some progress. We are hoping to have this one done within the next few weeks, then we will get back to some of our other projects.
Thanks,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

We found a local paint supply store who mixes paint by code and is able to put the paint in a rattle can:

One of the tasks with this bus going is to replace the dried out and cracked window seals. We are starting with the rear window:

The paint is a very close match. A little sanding and I think we will be good. Next step will be rear window install and rear hatch gasket.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

Nice wall art
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

Lil-jinx,
It is the same bus that is in my avatar. We still have all of the metal from when we got that bus. I showed my son some of the barndoor resurrections and said this bus is going to be back on the road some day. He wants to finish a "few" other projects first. Haha. We will see.
Thanks,
Dave
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Nice wall art

I was thinking the exact same thing!
Man, I have a problem, I think Sage Green is my favorite bay color.
Looks awesome guys, keep making moves, shaping into a nice driver.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

Very interested to see how your paint turns out and which source you chose for your window seals. We're due for some touch-ups and seal replacements too. My wife's not on board for touch-ups unless we can match the paint reasonably well... thanks and great work!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

Ride_on,
Most of the seals came from West Coast Metric. I have used them for most over the years and have been pretty happy with the quality. As for the paint, I will get the bus outside in the sun for some better lighting to show the difference.
Thanks,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

More progress. We removed the drivers side smoker window and rear side glass and found a big rust hole. I cut out the bad parts and welded in 1 long piece and 3 smaller pieces. It came out good and I was able to reuse the strip that holds in the rubber pinch welt. I then realized we will need to pull the rear cabinets to get the glass back in. It is coming around. We are going to the VT Bald Mountain camp out this weekend. The Shrewsbury MA show the week after and the Acton Maine VVA car show the week after that. We will get some time in and hopefully make some good progress as we go.

The main spot needing attention is the rear apron area. We will tackle that area next. I am hoping the passenger side rear window sill is in better shape than the driver side. I am not going to take that glass out until I get around the back. We will see.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

I am going to kick this project back into high gear. I was inspired by some of the VWs I have seen the last two weekends at car shows in Mass and Maine. We have 2 weeks before we go to Rhode Island for another show so we will see what we can get done. I finished the top last night, and also painted over the primered spot on the back of the roof. the left rear window and rear window frames are ready for glass. I need to do some repairs to the right rear window frame, and then the glass can go back in. I plan to make a punch list when I get home from work today and try to get something done daily until I finish. My shop is a disaster right now from swap meet fall out but we will get it all whipped back into shape. It has been a great VW summer so far.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

I got the back glass in last night, and also put the smokers window in. Quite a challenge. I am ready to put the rear side window in, but need to clean the rubber first. I fixed the rear seat foot cabinet seal so it would close, and started the repair on the passenger side window sill. I only have to cut out a small section on this side.

I am making some progress. The parts pile is shrinking. I do need to get a battery tray and the door vent window rubber. While I have the rear cabinets out, I am going to glue the veneer back on, and see what I can do to straighten the seals.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

We got the drivers side rear window in finally. the glass did not want to go into the channel in the rubber, so I put a little soap in the rubber channel. HUGE mistake. I fought the glass sliding around in the channel long enough. I washed the window again, and washed and dried the rubber, then got the window into the rubber, and we slipped the window in the bus no problem.
I painted both slide track covers with the Sage Green spray paint. It looks pretty good. The bus needs to be washed, but the match is very close.

Next is to tackle the passenger rear window sill. I only need to replace the rear most lower edge with new metal.

Forward progress.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

Still chugging along. Last night I painted the side and track area on the slider door side. Between coats of paint I worked on the cabinets. I found that if I heated up the plastic trim on the cabinets with a heat gun, the plastic would become pliable and stretch to resume the original position. I got excited, and fixed all of the bunched up pieces. I did glue some of the veneer back as well. Before I packed it in I put the rubber on the glass. This morning I removed all of the painters tape and prepped the opening for the window. I also put the door slider back on. That was a first. It was a little intimidating, but went together. I must have opened and closed the door 20 times to test. It works really well. No wind up like on my bay. Before we left, my son and I put the window back in. I went to Home Depot today and bought a piece of 1/8" "ply wood" to replace the sagging headliner and rear water damaged interior panels. I need to make the narrow drivers side rear strip and install before I can put the cabinets back in. The OG one was totally wasted, so I will make a template from cardboard. More to come.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

I have done a terrible job updating this forum. I did take a bunch of photos while keeping busy with the bus. Here is what has been going on:

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 One-Owner Westy Reply with quote

I made a few interior panels for the bus to replace the ones that were rotten, including the headliner which was in need of much TLC I made a tool to locate the holes behind the panel so things would line up. I repaired the cover n the passenger kick panel, and recovered the drivers side panel. I for some reason did not take photos of those after. Maybe my son can get those up here. I also reglued the "veneer" on the cabinets and re set the banding on the cabinets from where it shrank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: