Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja lift suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

I always wanted to cut up a bug as a kid. Then I actually bought one and fell in love with the lines and all the stock components. I'd suggest making a class 11 style car. I'm bias, but I think it's much cooler to have a offroad "sleeper" you have a good base there, do whatcha want but look at this Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

i have a baja and i tell all my friends that want one to build a class 11 clone.
really doesnt loose that much ability until you start getting into really big stuff and at that point its easier to buy a blank already cut shell
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
There is another way to get major lift...look up bus frame baja on youtube...this is when you basically strip the entire bus frame to its skelaton, shorten and attatch it under your existing pan...you will have to use a bus tranny and axles but the end result is well worth it...you get the best of both worlds cuz the bus suspension is extremely beefy and the tranny will be tough too and it will all be done with stock parts...bay window buses are still plentiful...all you need is a rolling carcus a sawsall and a welder...look for '72 thru '79 all have disk brakes.

It's your car...it does look extremely nice to hack the ends off...if the motor is solid than yank the motor and sell that nice body to a pureist that will preserve the vw as is...there are still plenty of bugs to choose from that already have some body damage that aren't as clean as yours... Cool

That's a pretty sweet way to lift a car! A rotted out bus around here seems to pull a mint, but that's more lift than a kit could get by far.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I always wanted to cut up a bug as a kid. Then I actually bought one and fell in love with the lines and all the stock components. I'd suggest making a class 11 style car. I'm bias, but I think it's much cooler to have a offroad "sleeper" you have a good base there, do whatcha want but look at this Very Happy

Yours looks awesome!! I think this is the way we'll go!

How did you do your lift?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

See the link below in my sig, AZBUG started it off. Lift spindles and a click or two in the rear. I'll be swapping out the spindles for VW Thing spindles to achieve the same lift. Info on those here

What do you want out of this baja, solid driver or just a play car?

Lift spindles are the way to go, but don't buy them from EMPI or else you get this:

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Wow!...that's a major bummer!...I almost bought those same spindales Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: