Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

009 distributor
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
This didn't take long. Please use this chart as a general impression only not so sure that it will pass the veracity test.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully there's a more accurate one out there.

Glenn may have a chart as he restores these. And it may differ from the chart you found
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Btw: that chart that I posted makes me chuckle a bit. Not sure if it came from Hot VW's magazine or whether you're to infer that these are the hot mechanical advance while some are not hot? Does hot mean they are popular- they certainly are. does hot mean they are high performance, they certainly can be. Or, are they hot because they have an aggressive advance which produces more heat...

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

I have advance curve tables for all three. I've just never put all three into one table. It doesn't strike me as accurate. Keep in mind that many curve tables are for a brand new distributor. You can figure an error factor of two to three degrees on either side from any published chart. In theory an 129 019 could have an nearly identical curve to an 178 009.

Last edited by tasb on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

That graph is not correct.

Tim knows because he has a distributor machine also.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That graph is not correct.

I don't know where I've seen it before, but to the eye, it doesn't look right, ha ha.

Glenn wrote:
Tim knows because he has a distributor machine also.

Yep. You guys ever compare notes on your rebuilds?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Are there any good SVDA distributors in the market right now? I have a '71 and it came with a 009 from PO. As expected there is that dreaded flat spot when coming out of dead stop.

What I've seen around also need new coils. Is there any drop in replacement that does not need a matched coil?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

The best is a rebuild original German distributor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Is there a second best option if a rebuilt German one is not available?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

hperez71 wrote:
Is there a second best option if a rebuilt German one is not available?

Your second best choice is a Bosch made in Mexico SVDA. They are also no longer made and are not as good as the German ones but are vastly superior to any of the "new" Chinese distributors being sold now.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Broncoblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

What's a good distributor for the 34 PICT 3 carb? The 009 obviously isn't the best, is there a modern distributor or a vintage one to look for ?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Check out the classifieds here on theSamba. Lots of good rebuilt units available.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2083952

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Broncoblair wrote:
What's a good distributor for the 34 PICT 3 carb? The 009 obviously isn't the best, is there a modern distributor or a vintage one to look for ?

This is a long read. But some of the charts listed have essentially which Single and Dual vacuum advance distributors that were used with which model Solex Carb.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095&highlight=

The article is meant for those who had questions over the years about the H30/31 carb, but delves into stk config earlier and later Solex/Bocar/Brosal (34pict3) models as well. If you're looking to be as authentic as possible, the charts will help. If you're looking to be close but better than 178-009, the same Smile . At any rate, there are part numbers associated with the particular 34/3 you may be using IF it's a German unit. Check to see if it's German, then check the charts for a corresponding German Bosch distributor part, then check the classifieds. Find a cheap one, probably a rebuild, then have one of the reputable rebuilders here fix it up for you.

The easy answer is a rebuilt German 034. But the info above relates to your knowledge and your ACVW and the combo you have at hand. 034 is not the best for all combos.

Keep your 009 as a spare, if it's German or Mexican.

Broncoblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Kelley wrote:

The easy answer is a rebuilt German 034. But the info above relates to your knowledge and your ACVW and the combo you have at hand. 034 is not the best for all combos.

Keep your 009 as a spare, if it's German or Mexican.

So are those Pertronix 009 remakes with electronic ignition and vacuum frowned upon ? The Amazon reviews seem very favorable. Along with their coil. Sorry I did not mean to hijack anyones thread.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Broncoblair wrote:
So are those Pertronix 009 remakes with electronic ignition and vacuum frowned upon ? The Amazon reviews seem very favorable. Along with their coil. Sorry I did not mean to hijack anyones thread.

First off, if it has vacuum advance, it's not a 009 clone.

Lacking a rebuild German or Mexican Bosch unit.. it's the best of the bunch. But that's not saying much since I have a very low opinion of the aftermarket distributors.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Broncoblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Broncoblair wrote:

First off, if it has vacuum advance, it's not a 009 clone.

Lacking a rebuild German or Mexican Bosch unit.. it's the best of the bunch. But that's not saying much since I have a very low opinion of the aftermarket distributors.

I see. From what I read the inside is basically the same as a 009 minus the vacuum advance. Do vacuum advance distributers only require you to do a timing at TDC ?
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

No, they are very different on the inside. The advance curves might be similar excluding vacuum advance. The only distributors that can be effectively static timed are the vacuum only distributors.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

Ive never seen a 09 with a curve like that, most Ive seen are 2 stage curves. as in addvance, stop addvancing(flat spot) then start addvancing more later. but Im sure there were a lot of different curves and who made the chart may of had one that had been reworked or somethen rong Shocked .mine dosent work perfect, but it works great.if I had a dist machine again I could make it dam close to perfect....for what I want/like. Ive recurved a few 09's for other people with no complaints. and alwasy better than before. IMHO it's the best non vac addvance borsch made Shocked , but ....Im not fond of vw dist due to the weights under the breaker plate .pain in the butt to curve.( not a lot different than oh somany others.)
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 009 distributor Reply with quote

The SVA distributors for VW range from 0 degrees to 10 degrees BTDC it depends on the distributor/carburetor model.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: