Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

The dusty condition oil bath is really long and the oil sits right at the bottom.
Unlikely any oil would be able to go up that far.

I like that filter, but I run a carb.
They also need the special bracket to hold them, which are getting rare.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

Having several of those 181 filters, I was just concerned about them being "smaller" -as they were designed for the 1600 and I need one for the 2.0-- probably not an issue if you keep it under 70mph- but am looking for some real user input here. Could just put some 1700 heads in there and solve the problem- wonder how that would work??

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

There was a version with 2 of those filters.
But the 2 filters were 'handed', and the intake boot is also hard to find, but I guess you can fabricate it up if you do have both filters.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

Surprised like this?[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Because these are for a type 1-[/img]

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Tram wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
I seem to recall finding a K&N element in a FI bus's filter a few years ago, not too hard to wash that out and re-oil. I wonder if they still make them?

Exactly what I was going to suggest, and yes:
https://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/1976/volkswag...gKGK_D_BwE

That particular filter fits the 1.6 ltr motor? If they have one for the 2. ltr FI air box, that would be great-

K&N's website doesn't get along with my computer, but a 73+ Euro 1600 bus uses the same 012 129 620 filter element as type 4 FI buses (73/74 carbed bus with the plastic filter and I think early Vanagon too).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
williamM wrote:
Tram wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
I seem to recall finding a K&N element in a FI bus's filter a few years ago, not too hard to wash that out and re-oil. I wonder if they still make them?

That particular filter fits the 1.6 ltr motor? If they have one for the 2. ltr FI air box, that would be great-

K&N's website doesn't get along with my computer, but a 73+ Euro 1600 bus uses the same 012 129 620 filter element as type 4 FI buses (73/74 carbed bus with the plastic filter and I think early Vanagon too).

It might be the late-1973-model-year or 1974-model-year VW 1600 Type 2 which were the first to be equipped with the paper-element air filter. My British specification, early-1973-model-year VW 1600 Type 2 (late-August or early-September 1972), was equipped with an oil-bath air cleaner and a 38A dynamo.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
williamM wrote:
Tram wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

It might be the late-1973-model-year or 1974-model-year VW 1600 Type 2 which were the first to be equipped with the paper-element air filter. My British specification, early-1973-model-year VW 1600 Type 2 (late-August or early-September 1972), was equipped with an oil-bath air cleaner and a 38A dynamo.

Ahhhhh..., OK, good to know, I've never had my head in the compartment of a Euro 73, type 4's went to the plastic filter in 73, my bad.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Surprised like this?[img]

Because these are for a type 1-[/img]

Hi william, yes but the one on the right is the wrong unit.
The intakes on both the units should face the rear.

These are type 181 filters right?

Bus filters typically look like this, with less 'attachments' at the snorkel intake.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

Almost had one of those, but got no reply Embarassed
That is two 181 filters, so one will need surgery, but that manifold isn't for a T-4 motor.- I'm saving it for a 66 EZ which will be worked on 3rd.

I am planning a small square plate with an inlet welded to it that would bolt to the AFM and a 2" flex tubing would fit over and go to a decent oil bath filter.

I think (there I go again) the 1600 paper filter was a long box with an oblong filter in it.- might have been for a beetle, but side by side looked like a rabbit filter.

Don't step in any!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
I think (there I go again) the 1600 paper filter was a long box with an oblong filter in it.- might have been for a beetle, but side by side looked like a rabbit filter.

Later beetles used a long rectangular filter, the 1600 bus uses the same square filter and mount as our FI versions, but with a different outlet: (click twice to rebigulate)

Слава Україні!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

One of those from KB with wash n oil replenish would solve the problem.

Don't step in any!
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

William, I don't think you should mod it, instead look to swap it. When I was looking for my dusty filter, I had more luck getting as there were more ads for the 'right' version than the 'left'.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

williamM wrote:

Tram wrote:

Слава Україні!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
williamM wrote:

Tram wrote:

$60 and never buy a filter again--think we have a winner.---thanks for the link-

Don't step in any!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

Noting Photobucket's recent awkward behaviour, the following links might not be as useful as they could be:

Home Forums > Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Engine & Transmission > Engine air filters, for very-dusty conditions?

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/engine-air-filters-for-very-dusty-conditions.20162/#post-256786

Home Forums > Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Engine & Transmission > Engine air filters, for very-dusty conditions?

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/air-cleaner-identification.28937/page-2#post-371478

Home Forums > Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Engine & Transmission > Stock air cleaner

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/stock-air-cleaner.23366/page-2#post-256791

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

Embarassed Sad couldn't get any pics or links to work-- But do agree as I put the stock oil bath little air cleaner on the roof of my kombi when stuck in Katherine and it worked great till the attached inlet on the carb split and sanded the new motor- but thats another story.

I plan a snorkel up the inside of the passenger side to go to either a KD stock filter, or a modified 181 filter.

Agree it's not rocket science to know high and ahead of the rear axle is where the clear air is.

Don't step in any!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

I have not quite figured out how to search for them yet. But Google Gallery seems to have the pictures.
Tcash

Filter-Mate air pre-cleaner naskeet, search
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1242&bih=602...I4#imgrc=_
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

FWIW by the time the filter is purchased, the cleaners and oils etc, and the frequency they have to be washed I'll never do it again for any car. I could not notice any extra power and the gauze on the ones I had did not stop as much dust as a stock wix, motorcraft, fram NAPA etc filter.

Read: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

Quote:
(click twice to rebigulate)

I call this one for sig
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting a different air filter on T4 Bus. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
(click twice to rebigulate)

I call this one for sig

You've gotta be a long time Simpsons fan to get that one. Wink

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: