Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new awning help needed
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: new awning help needed Reply with quote

my new to me 2000 EVC had a previously installed awning. the holes in the body are covered in white duct tape which seems to have worked fine until now. I just ordered a fiamma and thought i'd put the brackets on while waiting for the awning to arrive
- several issues-
1) the holes are in the wrong spots for the go westy bracket.
2) the holes are actually too big for the river nuts supplied in the kit.

so two questions- what to plug the 4 holes with that are incorrectly placed? can I get bigger diameter riv nuts that will work and if so where? thanks
Chris
2000 EVC Tilly Jane
1985 Westy/Suby
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

Go to a hardware store and look for rubber plugs in the various fastener department. If you by chance have a Sears Hardware anywhere close, they will have lots of different oddball plugs.

Rivet nuts:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=17x8y9z
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

I'm about to do the same thing; mount a Fiamma to replace a Carefree Sidewinder. How did yours work out? How long is your awning? Did you use two or three brackets? Fiamma and some posters here recommend three brackets for the 10' awning. GW suggests that there's not room for a third bracket. Seems to me there is.

I'm thinking of modifying my Carefree brackets to fit the Fiamma to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

Kozmob I'm also looking to install a fiamma awning on my 2001 EVC .The brackets from the old awning are still on the van , can they be use to install the new awning ? Did the old brackets work on the new awning ? Any help would help Thanks
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

robert reese wrote:
Kozmob I'm also looking to install a fiamma awning on my 2001 EVC .The brackets from the old awning are still on the van , can they be use to install the new awning ? Did the old brackets work on the new awning ? Any help would help Thanks

Mine worked out fine. I used the Carefree brackets with an aluminum bracket that came with the Fiamma. I had to drill a few holes in the brackets to make them match. If you have a 10' awning, be sure it's placed in the right spot. Too far forward and the support pole will obstruct the passenger door when the pole is anchored to the van body. When placed too far back, the awning case will conflict with the rear door opening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

Thanks for the infor. Next question I have about fiamma awning is has any one installed one longer than the 10 footer ? Would the 11'2'' awning work on a ECV ?
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

robert reese wrote:
Thanks for the infor. Next question I have about fiamma awning is has any one installed one longer than the 10 footer ? Would the 11'2'' awning work on a ECV ?

I don't think any longer than the 10' would work. As I described before, It can't extend beyond the back of the rig if you want to open the rear hatch. It could extend over the passenger door but the awning would have to be deployed high and you wouldn't be able to put the foot of the support post onto the side of the rig and still open the passenger door. With a long awning, you should tilt the sockets on the side of the van so the feet of the support posts can slide in.
Cyberdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

Kozmob wrote:
robert reese wrote:

I don't think any longer than the 10' would work. As I described before, It can't extend beyond the back of the rig if you want to open the rear hatch. It could extend over the passenger door but the awning would have to be deployed high and you wouldn't be able to put the foot of the support post onto the side of the rig and still open the passenger door. With a long awning, you should tilt the sockets on the side of the van so the feet of the support posts can slide in.

Thanks for ths great input.
I want to install a used 12 foot Omnistor 5000 awning on my T4 with pop top and was thinking of raising the position of the awning on the brackets just to make headroom, but the info about the door is another thing that makes this high position even more important.
I was also thinking about having a third bracket between the two regular ones but that's not where you would need an extra support. It would be on the part in front of the b-pillar, and that's much more difficult to solve.
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

So I would really like to get an fiamma awning for my EVC. Who would you purchase the awning from ?
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

robert reese wrote:
So I would really like to get an fiamma awning for my EVC. Who would you purchase the awning from ?

eurocampers.com has F45 as does Gowesty

Fiammausa.com is the primary dealer for North America and has the F35pro as well as the F45 and also sells replacement parts. I deal with Kelly McDaniel (sales and op manager) there and she's great.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

Kozmob wrote:
robert reese wrote:

I have the 10' Fiamma F45S installed by the PO, did not realize til you said that the body-mount won't work on the front (interferes with passenger door). Well, it WILL work tilted as you say, just can't open the passenger door, which is not a huge deal.

Was planning on doing the body mounts, I can see how handy they will be when retracting the awning with inclement weather. Thanks for the info!
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

Kozmob wrote:
I'm about to do the same thing; mount a Fiamma to replace a Carefree Sidewinder. How did yours work out? How long is your awning? Did you use two or three brackets? Fiamma and some posters here recommend three brackets for the 10' awning. GW suggests that there's not room for a third bracket. Seems to me there is.

I'm thinking of modifying my Carefree brackets to fit the Fiamma to them.

Did you use three brackets? The 10' Fiamma installed by the PO used two brackets (each end), and IMO they should have put a third in the middle. The case touches the side of the van in the middle . . . . .
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: new awning help needed Reply with quote

I have the 10 foot fiamma installed on two brackets and it is perfect. It does not touch the body of the van in the middle and its is very solid even after many a bumpy road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: