Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb bowl empty
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Finally had a chance to drive the 69 bug other than just around the neighborhood today. Now this is a completely rebuilt engine, new gas tank , lines, rebuilt original pump, everything. It started just fine but died as i was backing out of the garage. would not start. Decided to take the top of the freshly rebuilt 30 pict 2 off and what i found was an empty bowl. I poured some gas in and it fired right up. Ran for a few minutes and all seemed fine so i drove about half hour to get an alignment. Drove back home no problems. Pulled into the garage and did a static time cause i thought it could run a little better and adjusted the idle then it died again. Same thing no gas in the bowl. Added gas and it fired right up. Drove again for about 25 min town and highway. Ran a errand started back home and did it again. Sat about 20 min and the gas refilled the bowl on it's own. Now I removed the gas cap and it made a whoosh sound. Fired it up and drove about 20 min home with no problems. Later drove to my brothers about 10 min. Car sat for about half hour started up but took a few seconds. About 100 yrds from his house it died again. No gas in the bowl. Added some gas to bowl and drove home 50 mph runs great. Put it in the garage. . Fires up quick when cold but not when warm. Last time i checked the fuel pump was putting out just under 3 psi. Where do i start.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Bad pump. Get another.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

your saying it pumps sometimes but not others.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

could this be a venting issue
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Could be...but it sounds more like an intermittent pump..

Who rebuilt the pump?

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
could this be a venting issue

Yes. It is possible. The whoosh sound is the clue.

How is the tank vented?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

there is a tee in the smaller hose of the fill neck. It has a very small hose that goes up under the dash and around and down to the nipple on the other side of the tank. So if the cap is not vented i guess there is no place for it to vent.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

The small vent hose from the T loops up under the dash and then out a hole in the inner fender and vents to the atmoshphere. The small nipple on the tank is for a later model venting application that used a charcoal canister. Plug the small nipple and run the hose out the hole in the fender.

The gas cap is not vented.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Well thats sounds like a simple fix. I'll start with it. Thanks.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

I stole this from theSamba photo gallery. Supposed to be from a 1969.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Have you checked your oil lately? Does it smell of gas by chance?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

We have already determined that he has a non-vented fuel tank. Let's not make this more complicated than it is.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

We have already determined that he has a non-vented fuel tank. Let's not make this more complicated than it is.

Actually, the question is relevant. It could be several issues causing the OP's problems with the tank being just one. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Actually, the question is relevant. It could be several issues causing the OP's problems with the tank being just one. Wink

Why go down that fuel pump rabbit hole if adding the vent fixes the issue? Fix known issues first. If he still has issues after that he can pursue those other possibilities. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Why go down that fuel pump rabbit hole if adding the vent fixes the issue? Fix known issues first. If he still has issues after that he can pursue those other possibilities. Wink

I get what you're laying down.. I wasn't thinking fuel pump but rather carb float valve sticking. Pulling the dipstick and smelling the oil takes seconds as well.

Let's hope it's the tank.

sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Those are all possible issues. I'm going with vent hose first which i fixed today but havent' had it out yet. IF that doesn't work i'll move to fuel pump and the piece it sits on. I rebuilt the distributor and the fuel pump but you never know. Working a little overtime this week but just as soon as I get a hour to spare i'll post back and let you know if the vent hose fixed it and i'm betting it will. I took the gas cap off after work and it make a woosh sound even after sitting over night and today. The diagram i looked at when i ran my hoses must have been for a later model. Yes i did check the oil and it looks and feels fine and it's still on the mark.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
So if the cap is not vented i guess there is no place for it to vent.

The stock gas tank cap is NOT vented. The tank depends on the small hoses to flow air freely.

You don't need to drive the car to get pressure differences. Leaving the car out in the sun can cause the air/fumes in the tank to expand and create pressure. Leaving the car overnight to cool can create a vacuum. If your tank is venting properly neither condition should exist.

Check if your hose are clogged or kinked. Also make sure the hose vents outside of the trunk... unless you LIKE choking on gas fumes. Razz
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Took the bug out for a couple short spins this afternoon. about 3 miles each time. let it sit in the sun for half hour removed the gas cap and no woosh sound. Seems to run fine. I think fixing the vent line took care of it but will have to wait for a longer run to be certain. I"ll post back when i know for sure. Thanks.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: carb bowl empty Reply with quote

Good to hear. Just be aware that parking with the car leaning to the right with a very full fuel tank can cause it to dump fuel as it heats in the sun.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: